Preseason Three Digi-Art Throwdown Contest FAQ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPudding View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. ^
I have to find some way to procrastinate from drawing my entry!

(...On second thought, that's not the best thing to say when I'm planning on applying for a summer internship position. SCRATCH THAT FROM THE RECORD)

DanRileyCG

01-25-2013

Ms. Pudding,

I'm honestly shocked that this competition also includes 3D modeled art work. It sounded from the OP that beyond the shadow-of-a-doubt this was a digital painting competition. I was excited about this because it was finally a "clean" competition where the entries were clear. Most art competitions that I've come by don't separate digital from other mediums, and many people around my artist community (where I live) don't even understand what digital paintings are. I entered my digital paintings in a competition and they categorized my work as "mixed media."

When I attended the art show where my digital paintings were on display, I had to continually explain to the older artists, and various guests, that I actually digitally painted my work. I had to explain what a tablet is, and that I use a stylus. It's frustrating to not be recognized, and lopped into the category of things that are completely unrelated. My digital paintings were being judged against random things like colored pencil entries, charcoal entries etc. they refused to put my entries in the painting category (like oil, or whatever) even though that would realistically be much closer. General people have this perception that when you say you drew or designed something digitally that the computer did the work for you. Now I know this has nothing to do with League, or this competition directly. But, I guess I found comfort that there was an art competition directed at digital painting specifically. Finally a competiton where apples would be compared to apples.

The inclusion of 3D modeled and rendered art is truly disappointing/disheartening because to compare and judge digital painting to 3D sculpting and modeling is to compare apples to oranges. They don't belong in the same competition. I'm not arguing that 3D modeling and sculpting is any less artistic, but that it belongs in its own competiton. I'm actually going to school for 3D modeling, sculpting, and animation, so I'm definitely not biased against 3D art. 3D art is actually what I want to spend my life doing. For the sake of this competiton, however, I'd rather see all of the apples rated against apples and all of the oranges rated against oranges. I'd thoroughly enjoy a full-fledged 3D art competition. I'd love to see what myself and the community could come up with.

Could there be some distinction in what is and is not allowed to be entered? Allowing various kinds of art mediums in the competiton ruins the validity of the competiton as your judging things that are entirely different.

Thanks again for giving us the opportunity of this competiton. I think it's great what Riot is doing, you guys are my favorite gaming company, after all. I plan on entering a piece of my own. I plan on getting a ton more done this weekend.

Peace

JKGN

01-25-2013

I get where you're going with that. part of me agrees, but digital art is digital art. A 3D software program is a tool and no different than paint programs. Just a different presentation.

With that said, I think for this contest anyways, the digital paintings will most likely be more expressive in conveying the scenario of champion(s) preping for season 3. Though 3D art is often highly detailed, they often feel lifeless when put into a situation unless it was an animated piece.

I'm really loving Riot's consistency in providing TWO grand prizes. Sucks when it's limited to one from most other contests I've participated in

Átra

01-25-2013

Too bad it has to be digital =/ Can't afford a tablet, it'd be nice if I had a chance to win one though...

MuffledMuffin

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKGN View Post
People need to read the thread...
-Multiple submissions are allowed per account
-the rule is one item from Season 3 MINIMUM and not restricted to one champion.
there's no rule on what items you match with the champion... it's up to you to make it work out.
Thank you so much JKGN, I'd read the thread and somehow didn't really see these rules.... I guess I must be blind and tired @@.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I submit multiple artworks? If I can't then may I use my other accounts to submit my works?
Also about the one champion + one item rule, does the item have to somehow fit and work well for the champion? I believe Karthus would never buy a Hunter's Machete no matter how imbalance his team is, no matter how he should buy his items differently under the circumstance, and no matter how he wants to farm the minions more efficiently .(Of course, if he feels like humiliating the other team that would be another case). Thanks for holding such a great contest. Can't wait to see some awesome artworks from other summoners.

JKGN

01-27-2013

People need to read the thread...
-Multiple submissions are allowed per account
-the rule is one item from Season 3 MINIMUM and not restricted to one champion.
there's no rule on what items you match with the champion... it's up to you to make it work out.

Zexlion

01-27-2013

Ms pudding i know this might be silly but can we get in trouble if we use a champion artwork, skin, and such as a reference? i just wanna make sure beforehand that its alright before submitting. thank you!

JKGN

01-27-2013

-You're ALLOWED to use different champion skins

Why would you get in trouble for using existing artwork as reference? Artists use reference of existing artwork to ensure accuracy of the uniform and details of the champion.
It'll only reflect unfavorably on you if you reference the artwork to the point of copying everything from the exact pose and background.

Hastur Annie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

"5) For convenience, please name the file with your summoner name and region."

I just found out about this. If we submitted a file with a bogus filename (like hereyougo.jpg), then for convenience's sake, would it be ideal to resubmit the same art, just under this filename notation, or not worry about it?

The reason I am concerned is because I read in the Official Contest Rules the following line (I emphasize with caps lock): Multiple Entries into the Contest are allowed; provided, however, that each separate Entry must be ===SUBSTANTIALLY DIFFERENT=== as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.

Dragonsama

01-28-2013

Is there a maximum size limit to the piece? I've been working on my piece and have been constantly expanding it. I'm past 3000 px on both height and width and found myself around 7000 px on height and 3000 px on width, but that should still be within ratio. I saw that it said "atleast 3000 on either height or width" on the first post of the digi contest throw down, so I just assumed. Thank you.