Preseason Three Digi-Art Throwdown Contest FAQ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MsPudding

Sentient Pudding

Follow MsPudding on Twitter

01-21-2013
10 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumboKlawt View Post
I would like to incorporate two S3 items into my entry but, for one particular item (i.e. the Runic Bulwark), there seems to be a symbol of some sort in the centre of it. The 64x64 pixel image of it isn't big enough to define just what that symbol is.

So my question is. Can you provide us with bigger or more defined images of the S3 items?
That's truly the only artwork there is of the item right now :P
Come up with something and imagine what it would be like in full detail! You've got quite a bit of artistic freedom here


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumboKlawt View Post
I would like to incorporate two S3 items into my entry but, for one particular item (i.e. the Runic Bulwark), there seems to be a symbol of some sort in the centre of it. The 64x64 pixel image of it isn't big enough to define just what that symbol is.

So my question is. Can you provide us with bigger or more defined images of the S3 items?
The symbol you're talking about isn't actually too obscured, but I agree it can be tough to decipher exactly what it is. If you have Adobe Illustrator, though, you can open up the icon and trace the symbols, then (because Illustrator is a vector program) blow them up to any size you want.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BumboKlawt

Junior Member

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari Brigadier View Post
The symbol you're talking about isn't actually too obscured, but I agree it can be tough to decipher exactly what it is. If you have Adobe Illustrator, though, you can open up the icon and trace the symbols, then (because Illustrator is a vector program) blow them up to any size you want.
-_-.... I don't know why I didn't think of that... smh. Thanks man. (y)
Amazing the things you forget sometimes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Veralian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

01-21-2013

Do my image needs to be 300 dpi or it can be more or less?
-veralian


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lizeron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

01-23-2013

I have a question. You say that the minimum size we can use is 500 pixels. After that you want the saved copy to be of a width or height of 3k. Doesn't that kinda ruin the picture? Small resolutions being maxed out normally don't work out fine.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lizeron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

01-23-2013

Also, in the rules, it states we are not allowed to use real life labels, like our favorite soda and such. Can we use 'fake' product names? Like a penta kill band poster on a wall, or something like 'Daily riot' as a newspaper?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anoyze

Member

01-23-2013

sounds cool


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SuicideBest

Junior Member

01-23-2013

I don't know if anyone's asks this before, but can we make a character say something? Something like speech bubble?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizeron View Post
I have a question. You say that the minimum size we can use is 500 pixels. After that you want the saved copy to be of a width or height of 3k. Doesn't that kinda ruin the picture? Small resolutions being maxed out normally don't work out fine.
One dimension of your entry HAS to be 3000 pixels. The 500 pixel minimum is for the other dimension. Your entry has to have a width OR height of 3000 pixels, and the other dimension has to be at least 500 pixels (but it can be more - as big as you want).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizeron View Post
Also, in the rules, it states we are not allowed to use real life labels, like our favorite soda and such. Can we use 'fake' product names? Like a penta kill band poster on a wall, or something like 'Daily riot' as a newspaper?
The reason you can't use any copyrighted logos is, as MsPudding says, a legal hassle. If they were to choose your entry as a winner, and it included a logo like Pepsi or Gamestop, they would either have to acquire a license to use the logo, or get rid of it. To make it easier, they're banning the use of all copyrighted logos.

Fake logos are a different story - since they're not copyrighted or trademarked, you can use them! However, be sure you KNOW it's not a trademarked or copyrighted logo - and be cautious even using a Riot Games or League of Legends logo. You can probably use those without any issues, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBest View Post
I don't know if anyone's asks this before, but can we make a character say something? Something like speech bubble?
MsPudding's answer, TL;DR'd: Yes, but be careful.

The long answer is that, in most cases, the words distract from the artwork. Remember, this is an art contest and the winning works should be ready-to-frame. Create an image that Riot Games wants to print out and put on the wall at their office. Text usually ends up being a negative because it breaks the intensity and flow of a scene - imagine Lulu's splash art with a text bubble next to Lulu with "TRANSMOGULATE!" inside it. It would hurt the artwork more than it would help.

So just be aware that everything you put into your picture is going to affect how it looks, for better or for worse. Don't throw something in without good reason, and especially not without iterating to see how it looks.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MsPudding

Sentient Pudding

Follow MsPudding on Twitter

01-23-2013
11 of 15 Riot Posts

Couldn't have said it better myself. ^