Deck the Lanes with Gingerbread Contest Winners!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nyla

Member

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
It is obvious that the Community here feels very strongly about these entries. Should we give these 5 an honorable mention? (note: two of them are in the incorrect image format, but if this is really the feeling of the community, it makes sense for use to make an exception.)
Those 5, no. They were personal ones, the person who posted even included their own. I believe if you are going through with this, let people vote via the album because out of those I think only 1 or 2 are deserving, there was also a brilliant Morgana and Fizz that everyone rooted for so yes, If you do choose to do this you should let people vote on the album that was put together of the entries that didn't make it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frosstbyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

01-13-2013

Again this is about compromise. It's not going to be perfect or all inclusive, but it should be about regarding community recognized excellence that forever reason Riot did not originally include. Those five entries have consistently risen to the top as favorites. Don't ruin a compromise because yours wasn't one of them


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

copperpoint

Senior Member

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosstbyte View Post
Again this is about compromise. It's not going to be perfect or all inclusive, but it should be about regarding community recognized excellence that forever reason Riot did not originally include. Those five entries have consistently risen to the top as favorites. Don't ruin a compromise because yours wasn't one of them
In this forum at least. I assume they're NA entries.

Looking at the feedback to this contest, at least now I know why they're called "Riot"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pickle Pet

Member

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balder1718 View Post
While I'm kind of tired of the whole voting thing at this point, I'd be OK with an honorable mention category.

How to decide that though ... is hard to discern ... which brings us back the original issue. Without a responsible party with stated criteria, it'd be easy for folks to cry foul with the voting.

You could choose from five that have been mentioned over and over, but someone is inevitably going to take issue with one or two of them ... and if they weren't entered according to the official rules (like the photo requirement), then it kind of defeats the purpose of having requirements at all.

So to reiterate ... I'm not opposed to a series of Honorable Mentions ... but with the backlash from the formal decision and voting process, I wonder how successful we'd be in finding a means of deciding that wouldn't just result in more people feeling slighted.
This is a very valid concern and I admit the same thought crossed my mind; whoever isn't chosen the second time will feel even worse. But I have faith that our community will come to a much more reasonable decision in terms of winners and that those who are not picked will not be bitter, but happy to see our results. Because ultimately the majority of us aren't as bummed about us personally losing, but by all the greatness we saw being put below something we all felt wasn't as up to par.

@Xin:
The honorable mentions are a step in the right direction, but that doesn't fix the issue. There is no promise that judging will be any better in the future. All that says is, if you throw a big enough fit after the fact we'll throw a dog a bone. [RECANTED]Originally I would've been happy if you simply apologized and said 'yes, these entries deserved to win something, we're sorry and we'll do better.' But after excuses, excuses and pity rewards,[/RECANTED] the only thing that can remedy this is for me to actually see the change happen in the next contest or for me to see exactly how you judge and to hear how you're going to change your process for the better. [RECANTED] I won't shut up until it happens. I am officially going to start a movement, along with any who are willing to help me.[/RECANTED]

I have compiled a gallery of all the submissions I could find and IshtarBlood has volunteered to set up polls for voting. We are going to send our own awards to the winners. [RECANTED]I am going to amass posters and memes about this and spread them as best I can.[/RECANTED]

Throwing contests is great; but when you throw that contest you make a promise to take it seriously. Go through all the submissions with care. Or else you shouldn't throw it at all.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

01-13-2013
29 of 46 Riot Posts

If any individual wants direct feedback on why their entry was not choosen, please add me in game and ask. I have spoken with a couple of you already, but it's not something that makes a lot of sense to do in a public forum.

I am not on right now, but I will be on tomorrow when I get to work and possibly tonight.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

01-13-2013
30 of 46 Riot Posts

@Pickle, there were 900 entries that were not DQ'ed in any way.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sunset Bound

Junior Member

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
It is obvious that the Community here feels very strongly about these entries. Should we give these 5 an honorable mention? (note: two of them are in the incorrect image format, but if this is really the feeling of the community, it makes sense for use to make an exception.)
Please, no.

First, correct me if I'm wrong but weren't there +1200 entries in the contest? There are ten, if that, people who are continuing this thread. The other +1,190 entrants have moved on and we're not losing sleep over this. I know the squeaky wheel gets the oil, but recognizing people that are ranting and abusing their fellow summoners (yes, that's what you are doing when you say, "So and so's submission is sh*t compared to mine! It's cr*p compared to X!"), and rewarding them no less would be beyond stupid and a terrible precedent.

Second, I love many of the entries people have posted here that they posted because they wanted to share their creations with the community. Having said that, these people make up a tiny fraction of the people who submitted entries. So recognizing them, or a sub-set of them, because they happen to post their work after the contest in this or any other thread while the +1000 other entries don't get anything because they decided not to post their work after the contest or rant for 40 pages in a thread would be fundamentally unfair and uncool.

The best thing you can do Xin is recognize the issues and concerns that are being expressed here (which it seems like you are already doing), and improve on the next contest. Oh, and for all the people who are saying, "oh this isn't about winning, but having Riot learn from its mistake so they don't do it again," your posts indicate otherwise. Furthermore, Riot already made changes to this contest since the last large contests based on community feedback. The idea that they are going to "sweep" the issues that arose here under the rug and repeat them again and again next time is just dumb. Especially afer this veritable gingerbread storm.

Or better yet Xin, STOP ALL CONTESTS. Seriously, I recall reading the original thread. People there were all warm and fuzzy, and filled with good wishes and holiday cheer. This thread is like night to day compared to that thread, and if the contests encourage this amount of venom and negativity towards your company and between summoners, I say let the Contests Die. Everyone is better off for it.

The ten or so peole who's been gong on and on in this thread, there's the down-vote button. Bring it.

Edit: And before I forget, you're doing a great job Xin. I know it's your job to be here, but I still think it's awesome that you're here facing the brunt of the negativity in this thread with such professionalism. Keep up the solid work.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaann

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
If any individual wants direct feedback on why their entry was not choosen, please add me in game and ask. I have spoken with a couple of you already, but it's not something that makes a lot of sense to do in a public forum.
sent


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pickle Pet

Member

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
@Pickle, there were 900 entries that were not DQ'ed in any way.
Thank you for the number, that is good to know. I realize what I can find is a small fraction of the whole contest. I am only at 200 pictures so far. If I could go through all 900, I would.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
It is obvious that the Community here feels very strongly about these entries. Should we give these 5 an honorable mention? (note: two of them are in the incorrect image format, but if this is really the feeling of the community, it makes sense for use to make an exception.)
The thing with Winter Dominion is that in looking it over, it does not really look League related.

That may be a point of contention here.

It has the impression of a very professionally done... standard scene of winter houses.

Then small runes were added.

I could see concerns that the piece actually was a professional scene of winter houses, with the runes added after.