Deck the Lanes with Gingerbread Contest Winners!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ro Shampo

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
It is obvious that the Community here feels very strongly about these entries. Should we give these 5 an honorable mention? (note: two of them are in the incorrect image format, but if this is really the feeling of the community, it makes sense for use to make an exception.)
Maybe just let people vote on the ones from this page.

See the gallery HERE!

GoddessShallah

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla View Post
The Winter Dominion from Reikii really astonished me, unless it was disqualified for dimensions I cannot think of any reason at all why it wouldn't be a winner never mind not an honorable mention. It fits all of the criteria - physically appealing, original, creative and made out of gingerbread. I just can't fathom which Riot member would look at that amazing creation and not think it was worth an honorable mention, unless they didn't bother to read the explanation of how it was a Dominion map (Which I presume was in Rekii's description).
This is part of why we are upset, great entries like this one, did not make the fan votes. The reason why they are closing the contest so early is they realized that they made a mistake, so they want to end this quickly so they don't have to handle any more questions from us.

Everyone that is upset needs to keep fighting, keep speaking, contact Riot in everyway that you can, so that they realize we aren't going away and sweeping this under the rug is not ok.

GoddessShallah

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Pet View Post
Yes. It would be. You may not be able to do a resubmission, but you at least know why you're not considered for winning. A lot of the people here are wondering how some entries didn't make it to honorable mention; if we were told that they were DQ'd for a specific reason, there may not be as much of that. Or, if said entries weren't DQ'd, we'd know the jig is up. You don't feel like some one has a right to know that they've been DQ'd any way? I find that disturbing.
I agree 100 percent.

sornvru

01-13-2013

Contests like this are difficult to judge just because they're subjective. From my perspective (as one without an entry) it's clear that all the entries took a lot of time and effort all around. Congrats to all the winners. Here's a couple things I think people have issues with.

First, out of the winning entries, I think people have issues with the first one (Baron with the 2 cookies). It's clear it wasn't a 5 minute job, but compare it to the 3rd winner (with Baron and house) which appears to have taken a fair bit more time than the first one. That may not be true, but just since it includes less items, seems to have taken less time.

Second, there wasn't a list of all the entries. Everyone has their opinion on who should have won but people wanted to look through everything and those who entered wanted to have their entries up for everyone to see, even if they didn't win.

Personally, I really had no issue with the contest, although I also didn't enter it, but here's the problem I see: since you (Riot) tend to have a higher degree of visibility than most companies do, I'd suggest involving the community more in events like these.

For example, for future events, have 6 winners. Riot can choose 3 winners out of their favorites, then all (as long as they follow the rules) entries are put up and the community can vote on the other 3. Something like this I think will be more fair (in the community's eyes) and cause less issues since the community itself will have more involvement in choosing the winners.

Also, it seems not everybody was clear on the rules. I'd work to clearly outline every aspect and have a section like "Entries are disqualified if: images are not the right size, name is not included in entry", etc and just make sure every detail is clear and obvious so if an entry is dq'd, you can say "your entry broke rule 5 - wrong pic format" or something along that lines.

Balderdinger

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Shampo View Post
Maybe just let people vote on the ones from this page.

See the gallery HERE!
While I'm kind of tired of the whole voting thing at this point, I'd be OK with an honorable mention category.

How to decide that though ... is hard to discern ... which brings us back the original issue. Without a responsible party with stated criteria, it'd be easy for folks to cry foul with the voting.

You could choose from five that have been mentioned over and over, but someone is inevitably going to take issue with one or two of them ... and if they weren't entered according to the official rules (like the photo requirement), then it kind of defeats the purpose of having requirements at all.

So to reiterate ... I'm not opposed to a series of Honorable Mentions ... but with the backlash from the formal decision and voting process, I wonder how successful we'd be in finding a means of deciding that wouldn't just result in more people feeling slighted.

Frosstbyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

Quote:
It is obvious that the Community here feels very strongly about these entries. Should we give these 5 an honorable mention? (note: two of them are in the incorrect image format, but if this is really the feeling of the community, it makes sense for use to make an exception.)
While I don't know that this is a perfect solution, it would go a long way towards showing some degree of compromise with the community. Those are five superb entries and they absolutely deserve recognition. They are all better in my opinion than any of the winning entries, so I think they should at least get some official mention!

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

01-13-2013
28 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessShallah View Post
This is part of why we are upset, great entries like this one, did not make the fan votes. The reason why they are closing the contest so early is they realized that they made a mistake, so they want to end this quickly so they don't have to handle any more questions from us.

Everyone that is upset needs to keep fighting, keep speaking, contact Riot in everyway that you can, so that they realize we aren't going away and sweeping this under the rug is not ok.
1. The voting was not closed early. It was operated per the rules that specified it end on the 12th. We don't hide from upset players, we work to fix the problem.

2. You guys are already in contact with Riot. We are right here reading this thread. We are also on Twitter, in-game, on Facebook, and reachable via player support.

Ms LadyDelicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

Quote:
Personally I wish I was in those 5 as well! I am sure alot of entries spent lots of time creating their own masterpieces. But besides my personal biases

I second the notion Xin has stated regardless of the of the incorrect photo format for two of the photo's. Especially the Dominion map gingerbread houses, makes me tear up seeing them.

I also want to state that even though most of us, are upset with this contest I want to thank league of taking the time to listen to our thoughts and posts. I know its not easy doing what you guys are doing. Hopefully the community, Riot and all of us alike will learn from this contest.

Best of wishes to those on the communities votes on Monday!

Nyla

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessShallah View Post

Sounds like a protest that won't get you many places sadly. The only thing Riot could even possibly do at this stage is give out an extra consolation prize, you can't expect them to take prizes from people who have already won and they most likely won't want to give out the major prizes so a minor prize for a few extra entries would be the only thing that'll come out of this because I highly doubt an apology will ever be directly given.

Even if extra prizes are given out there will still be people protesting that this or that entry should have received one too, there has to be thousands of entries that won't get acknowledged so not everyone will be happy even if Riot choose to do anything about what was said in this thread.

Frosstbyte

01-13-2013

Again this is about compr