Deck the Lanes with Gingerbread Contest Winners!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

puppichuu

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombria View Post
Puppichuu's entry is definitely worthy of top 5. Great job and wonderful photography! For those discussing the criteria, I made a post here about it.
Quote:
This is by far my favorite. Puppichuu's entry is a very close second and definitely deserved to win, that's for sure.
Thanks guys! After reading all these comments I was starting to feel really sad that nobody liked the winners. Your comments really picked me up!!

Evilperson69

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
To add to the clarification that I gave earlier, the two Teemo entries that keep getting brought up and both entries are from EU and did not bump and NA entries.
We know you guys split the submissions for NA and EU and now that we understand both Teemo submissions were EU, its technically understandable how they could make the cut over many of the NA entries we see posted....

But the fact still remains (and I know I'll offend the 2 creators of those submissions if they see this post and I am sorry for that) that these two submissions are just bottom-line unworthy of the opportunity they've been given. Both submissions completely lack 2 of the 3 aspects that were claimed to be given equal consideration when judging. Xin, I understand that Riot wants to give an even chance to NA and EU participants but please give me some kind of indication of the originality or creativeness that went into those submissions.

I've been browsing the general forums for a while now looking through the various threads that people created just to exhibit all of the submissions that weren't seen. Temporarily passing over the fact that some of the posts I've seen were far better than many of the NA submissions, it just seems horribly demoralizing to see all of these submissions that were clearly slaved over for hours upon hours, and then we have to see a number of "finalists" that looked like they could be made in 15 minutes.
Prior to looking through those threads I thought my submission deserved to be a finalist, and compared to the current ones, I still do. But if the truly best submissions (expressing creativity AND originality AND visual appeal) were selected, mine would be no where near a finalist and quite frankly very few of the actual finalists would have still made it.

tldnr: Your die-hard fans see your finalists and we can't help but believe you (Riot) really didn't judge fairly. If the [vast] majority of your fan population believes the judging didn't come anywhere close to accurately reflecting fairness, how can you really claim otherwise?

FaceCheckMyBush

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikii View Post
Congratulations all who won! Here's my submission. I didn't make top 20 but I worked my butt off for it, I'd like to share it anyway! It's a section of the Dominion map btw
yours is the best one. da fuq? dunno how they couldnt pick urs

Varg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppichuu View Post
Thanks guys! After reading all these comments I was starting to feel really sad that nobody liked the winners. Your comments really picked me up!!
Yours was definitely awesome!

tzerg

01-11-2013

well sad to see the entry i worked on not in there (although i am not surprised), they at least tasted good afterwards. The winners do look awesome as well, that Ziggs, and yeah i have to say the baron with the cookies being the name tags is kind of a lame way to get the cookies into it (unless the baron is actually gingerbread underneath). Now on to things to try for next time; One have a separate link that has all the entries, i feel that it would help us to see what everyone made as well as put people at ease knowing that their entry was at least looked at (yes i know you guys looked at them all but part of a contest like this is to show it off to everyone). The second thing i would say is that for next time to not encourage the use of things like Fondant, that is unless the contest is actually about a Fondant design. Also, darn Yordels and their innate cuteness gives them an unfair advantage in art contests.

ZombieCakes

01-11-2013

Actually, the official rules didn't mention a thing about gingerbread being visible or not. I read more than a few times. If anything, a Rioter said this was a rule in the FORUMS. To me, this doesn't make it official at all. I just want to know why all of a sudden everyone is saying that this WAS in the rules, if I am absolutely sure that it wasn't.

IshtarBlood

01-11-2013

There is no excuse at all for 1) not responding to the concerned questions of participants, and 2) giving places to repetitive entries and carbon-copies of the contest banner, EU or otherwise. Our problem is not with the entries, which are neatly done, but with the idea that they do not meet a high creativity ratio, which should account for 1/3 of the score.

As for having so many entries and DQing on a narrow basis-- do you have no predictive power behind your contest planning? Do you just shoot at a board to see how to narrow things down? Because I run a local club and still attempt to predict and account for future growth as numbers increase. I ask more people to help me out and look for more resources, and if that can't happen, I either reduce my plans or cancel my event rather than have members lose time and money on what is essentially a huge bust. Perhaps if you don't have the manpower for this kind of thing, a sweepstakes is EXACTLY what you need to run. Set up our expectations clearly and appropriately. At this point, so many of us are disappointed in the process and response to our submissions that the only reason some of us will continue to try is because we love free stuff or we love personal challenge, neither of which have much to do with you (unless you don't care?). We invest money, time, effort, and love into both this game and this company, and in return you are sending us a message that we are not worth your effort-- You are willing to half-arse an event in an attempt to satisfy a growing popularity rather than see it through with quality and pride. For shame, Riot.

Please don't mistake our frustrations with the administration for frustration at not winning. We are OK with not winning. We think the guys who placed worked hard and thought about what they were doing. We also think that our efforts were treated poorly by Riot administration. We feel ignored. We want acknowledgement and change, not excuses or condolences.

UnremarkableOne

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieCakes View Post
Actually, the official rules didn't mention a thing about gingerbread being visible or not. I read more than a few times. If anything, a Rioter said this was a rule in the FORUMS. To me, this doesn't make it official at all. I just want to know why all of a sudden everyone is saying that this WAS in the rules, if I am absolutely sure that it wasn't.
no the official rules did not, however riot employees posted in the other gingerbread thread that gingerbread or the cookie or the graham cracker do have to be visible. I'm not sure if this link takes it directly there but it is the fourth riot post.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...99643#32399643

puppichuu

01-11-2013

Quote:
Yours was definitely awesome!
A big thanks to you as well! I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was a lot of fun to make!

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

01-11-2013
11 of 46 Riot Posts

Perhaps in the future there is a way for us to filter out all the dq'ed and highly offensive submissions so that you guys can see everything that was submitted and we could allow the community to cut down all the eligible entries to the community choice finalists.

Typically for an art contest we will have between 1-3k entries, my fear is that it could become a popularity contest as there are few people that can spend the hours required to go throughthe whole list.

What do you guys think?