Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Top Champions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akimasu

01-11-2013

As top, I find ~80% of the time in solo queue, we don't have an initiator. So, my question is: What are some tops that are strong initiators?

I currently play Kennen or Wu Kong when this role is needed, looking to expand that list a little bit.

Also, in my ranked team we use a Skarner Jungle - who always builds tank, should I still initiate? or let him do it? Thanks~

ifeelsmited

01-12-2013

As a top lane if yoiu already have a tank is to lock down their adc in team fights. I usually play jax and although hes not good to go in 1 vs 5 if you can get to their adc with your leap and stun its a very good move.

I Love Slurpees

01-12-2013

Malphite, Gangplank, Singed, Rumble, Cho, Jarman, Swain, or WW are all strong initiators. You'll find a lot of ap top lanes are strong initiators. Safest one by far is Rumble. Just ult on top of adc and cut enemy team off then let your team follow-up.

Boagster

01-12-2013

I Love Slurpees, don't forget popping your shield as a mini gap-closer and the harpoons to slow their escape! Though, I would not say his is the safest initiator out of your list. That, I feel, would go to either Malphite or Cho'gath.

I would also disagree on Gangplank as a strong initiator. He has no gap closers, very little CC in his main kit (7% slow on basic attacks / Parryley? ehhhh), and no hard CC (the same reason why I feel Rumble isn't the top initiator you mentioned). Thus, he is extremely reliant on his ult, which has a two-minute cooldown and is useful in many situations outside of initiating. This is the reason I feel Cho'Gath is so strong - his ult isn't used at all in his initiate, meaning he'll almost always be able to start a fight - especially so, considering his initiate is AoE hard CC. While Malphite's ult has a similar cooldown, he has a soft CC / gap-closer in one with his Q.

I'd also note that Singed intiate is fantastic... but only when the other team doesn't run away the moment he comes at them.

Overall, though, I feel that I Love Slurpee has a pretty solid list there, though, if you need an initiator, you can top untraditionally by going Amumu, Blitzcrank or Nautilus, who all can survive fine up there, but will likely need ganks if they ever want to secure kills.

Slayertmann

01-12-2013

Jarvan