Need help to choose my path

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TechPigeon

01-11-2013

Hi guys, I'm kind of new to LoL and I need help.

I'm having trouble to figure wether Im a jungler solo mid, top lane Etc.

Any tips to help me figure out what I'm good at.

The champions I mostly use are: Graves, Amumu, Ziggs.

PLS HELP

MicKretz

01-11-2013

Graves = Bot lane ADC (attack dmg carry)
Amumu = jungler
Ziggs = honestly idk where ziggs is either, i need help too on that one lolz

but i hope that helps, ADC + Support my fav, hopefully u find ur fav too

omgsilveR

01-11-2013

noob helping the noob

Mothalius

01-11-2013

Ziggs is always mid. He's a great mid champ.

If you like to solo lane or 1v1 more than anything, play mid or play top. Mid's are usually APC (Ability Power Carries) and top lanes are usually bruisers (Olaf, Wukong, Xin etc.)

If you like to have a partner in your lane, go bot lane where it's usually an ADC and Support. This is normally a 2v2 lane.

If you want to be able to roam around the map unseen and come out from bushes and gank people, jungler is your choice there. Amumu is a great jungler cause of his initiate from a bush with Bandage Toss. Know that you might also run into the enemy teams' jungler, and mid and top lanes are more susceptible to ganks due to being alone (not to say bot doesn't get ganked either, just not as much). Mid is more on the safe side when compared to top due to being close to the tower constantly.

It really depends on your playstyle. Hope this helped.

Zaggath

01-11-2013

Professional players chose one role and play that role on their team. As a new player to LOL you need to learn every role and play every lane. If you cant play every lane then it will be hard on draft mode.

Fate000

01-11-2013

I suggest you try to play all roles (and a variety of champions) at first. The one you are best at/your favorite should come naturally. Even after you pick your main role, you should still play the others; you need a good knowledge of all roles to be able to do draft pick.
A short explanation of the lanes/roles:

>Top lane contains bruisers (a.k.a. fighters) or tanks. Basically these have moderate damage and good survivability, and are required to stay in melee range. If you like bashing enemies' faces in, this is for you. Example: Xin Zhao, Renekton, Riven.
>Tanks are similar to bruisers but lack their damage. They make up for it in survivability and utility. They are not so popular these days. Example: Amumu, Rammus, Shen.

>Mid Lane is a little more varied. Most midlaners are APC's (Ability Power Carries) able to do tremendous burst damage. These carries can easily kill anyone given good items and levels, but they usually contain good utility also. Their weakness is that they have both low durability and no way of easily escaping foes. Example: Annie, Ryze, Kassadin.
>The other main midlane champions are Assassins. These champions are at their strongest early game and can kill anybody before you can blink, given levels and gold. Typically their cooldowns are so high that if, by some miracle, they survive your initial burst, they escape (and you die due to your lack of survivability). Assassins are characterized by their ability to quickly jump into a fight, kill a target, then escape quickly. A perfect example of such an ability is LeBlanc's Distortion: use it to enter a battle, kill enemy within 3 seconds, use ability again to return. This is my main role in team comps and the one I try to play the most. Example: LeBlanc, Akali, Katarina

>Bottom lane is the only lane in a standard comp to have two people in it, an ADC (attack damage carries) and a support.
>The ADC is the most important person in teamfights. These people tend to have a steroid, an ability that boosts their stats, and some way of making their basic attacks stronger. These champions deal incredible autoattack damage but have subpar abilities; however basic attacks are not limited by cooldowns and they deal tremendous damage in extended battles. ADC's usually build Attack Speed, Attack Damage, and Critical Hit Chance in roughly that order. They are balanced by their very weak early game and large dependence on items. Example: Vayne, Kog'maw, Ezreal
>The Support is a... unique role. As support, you do not kill any minions (or creeps if you prefer), leaving all the CS (Creep Score, the number of minions that you dealt the last hit to) to the ADC. Supports usually are picked for their large amount of CC (crowd control, effects like slow, stun, suppressed... http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Crowd_control), which means they are not dependant on items as much as other champions, as CC doesn't scale. Typically they buy items such as Shurelya's Reverie or Mikhael's Crucible to further help their teammates, they also buy Sight Wards for map awareness. Supports usually also have a way of healing their teammates, but this is getting deemphasized over time.
Most people think that playing support is boring. That claim is absolute ********. Playing support has you deal all the harassment in a lane while the carry farms, and lategame you will have so many active items that it's a nightmare to manage them all (I once had 11 different cooldowns to manage: 4 skills, 2 summoners, 5 active items). Example: Nami, Janna, Blitzcrank

>Jungler. This role is dull according to me but fun according to others.These champs have the ability to farm the jungle camps rather then the lane; there are multiple reasons to do so. It lets the team have two sololanes (top and mid) and level faster. Junglers also provide map awareness.
The other job of the jungler is ganking, i.e. sneaking up on a lane that is overextended (pushed farther then it should be. Telling overextended from notoverextended lanes takes practice and cannot really be taught. It depends strongly on the champions involved) and jumping in, turning a 1 vs 1 fight into a 2 vs 1 fight temporarily. The goal here is to push the enemy champion back, giving your champion an advantage; it is not necessary to kill the enemy champion, even if such an outcome is preferable.
The jungler should try to kill the Dragon as much as possible, as well as place wards next to various key places. Look up a warding guide; there are tons and they're useful.
Jungling is widely considered the most difficult role in League, with good reason. It's easy to screw up and you can't turret hug to let the danger pass. Furthermore the enemy jungler can (and will) enter your part of the jungle to steal your buffs; you may do the same. This is called counterjungling and is even more difficult. When counterjungling, try to leave one small monster alive in a camp on the enemy's side as the rest of the monsters will not respawn till all are dead, setting their jungler back in gold and levels.
Example of junglers: Cho'gath, Nocturne, Kha'zix.

Well there you go. A short (okay, not really short) rundown on the different roles and their pros and cons. You can read here for more information:
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...ion_attributes
Oh, and the examples are listed in order of difficulty to learn according to me.
EDIT: I think I'll repost this wall of text in the newbie help category also.
EDIT: Find the upgraded version of this text here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2991862 Even MOAR information on roles.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-11-2013

The best strategy isn't to choose a role and try to unlock tons of champions for that role and master that role--at least not from the beginning.

It's far better to try a wide variety of champions for a wide variety of roles and decide for yourself what it is that you like doing best. Try everything--even support.

Helter Kremlin

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
The best strategy isn't to choose a role and try to unlock tons of champions for that role and master that role--at least not from the beginning.

It's far better to try a wide variety of champions for a wide variety of roles and decide for yourself what it is that you like doing best. Try everything--even support.
This.

MicKretz

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgsilveR View Post
noob helping the noob
hey mate, excuse the somewhat harsh example, but im just one begger telling another begger where to find bread.

I share what i can....i dont w8 to know EVERYTHING there is to know, when i can share WHAT i do know.

You'd be wise in life to do the same, as opposed to trolling mate

SupportOrWillAFK

01-11-2013

Learn every role, then specialize in that which you like best.

The great thing about going that route is that you can "Pick up" what the team needs, and it helps you understand all the roles. For example, I used to play ADC before picking up support, so it helps me to know what it is that an ADC needs (aka, bush control, wards, etc).

This is rudimentary, but since you're new, hopefully it helps.