Strong Majority Says.......

123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Derpshot

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeArchon View Post
I would have punished, but sometimes you get those extra-lenient judges. *shrug*

Actually, my instapunish gets hit a bit lower down:
Warwick [All] [00:13:32] thats so gay i ulted you xin but your countered mine

Sexual orientation as insult/negative adjective = punish for me, but I guess some people find that acceptable.
three words...
What....
The....

Getsuei

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpshot View Post
three words...
What....
The....
Alot of people still take offence to it. It is still a derogatory word to be honest, even when not use as such. It was connected to alot of hate and discrimicy, there is no reason to use it. There are plenty of other words that could be subsituted.

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2013

id pardon

nothing there was really that big of a deal

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2013

Quote:
Yeah, it does.That might be convincing if, you know, people weren't being discriminated against right now for being gay. If we'd had sexual-orientation equality for a century, it might be reasonable to say the language evolved. Right now? Not so much.Because you're accepting the idea that it's perfectly fine for "gay" to equal "bad". In the worst case, this is because you actually do think being gay is bad. In the best case, this is because you just don't care about going along with that general notion because it doesn't affect you. In which case, you may not be intentionally malicious, but it's still pretty bad to just dismiss the ongoing, massive cultural pressure bearing down on a group of people, especially when all you'd have to do in this case is stop using a couple of words in a particular context.
Are you ****ing insane? We're being asked to evaluate whether a player is toxic, not impose ridiculous verdicts because someone offends our personal beliefs.

I didn't look at that case - maybe the player was toxic. But his use of the word "gay" is not an indication of that. Maybe if he'd referred to one of his teammates as a f*ggot, or even if he'd called one of them gay directly, but to use it the way he did is just not toxic by any stretch of the imagination.

Vadnarr

Recruiter

01-11-2013

Yeah I have to say the whole insta-punish on the word gay is a little extreme. I understand your sensitivity to the word but it's not just about homosexuals as others have stated. People use it to say other things. Chill for example can mean relax, completely unrelated to the temperature. I won't tell you that you shouldn't hit punish because it's your opinion and I respect it. It's just a little much to me since (in context) it's got nothing to do with orientation.

Flugun

01-11-2013

Quote:
That might be convincing if, you know, people weren't being discriminated against right now for being gay. If we'd had sexual-orientation equality for a century, it might be reasonable to say the language evolved. Right now? Not so much.
You are the type of person that believes words like "gay" or "***" Is or will be made illegal. You are stupid. Freedom of speech.

KimKelley

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadnarr View Post
Yeah I have to say the whole insta-punish on the word gay is a little extreme. I understand your sensitivity to the word but it's not just about homosexuals as others have stated. People use it to say other things. Chill for example can mean relax, completely unrelated to the temperature. I won't tell you that you shouldn't hit punish because it's your opinion and I respect it. It's just a little much to me since (in context) it's got nothing to do with orientation.

What if the sentence had read.

"That's so black, I ulted you xin but your countered mine"
"That's so mexican, I ulted you xin but your countered mine"
"That's so brazillian I ulted you xin but your countered mine"

Calling something "gay" when you mean "dumb" has everything to do with sexual orientation because the derivation comes from the fact that people call other people gay (meaning homosexual) as an insult.

I wouldn't punish for it if that were the only thing I saw in the case, but I don't begrudge people for seeing it in the same vein as racial slurs.

KimKelley

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flugun View Post
You are the type of person that believes words like "gay" or "***" Is or will be made illegal. You are stupid. Freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech is a protection from the government. It does not protect you from private entities, e.g., the Tribunal and most jobs.

Flugun

01-11-2013

Oh so it's still cool to smoke weed because Colorado legalized it even though it's still a federal crime? cool. I think i can say what i want.

KimKelley

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flugun View Post
Oh so it's still cool to smoke weed because Colorado legalized it even though it's still a federal crime? cool. I think i can say what i want.

You may think so, but it is not an accurate thought.

123456 ... 10