Need help - starting AD carry

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

High Lord Bunny

01-10-2013

I joined a team here recently and started out as their solo mid. We recently rearranged due to some issues and I ended up getting stuck in the role of adc.

I do dare say I somewhat hate this role.

However, that does not excuse shoddy performance, so I want to get better. What's some general advice you all could give me about getting into this role after maining mid? I'm trying to get used to it, but the finer points elude me... like choosing builds.

Right now I'm good with Graves, Ezreal and Sivir. Any other champs I NEED to pick up?

Duhizy

01-10-2013

dont halfass it, if your gunna play ad then learn all of them well so that your versatile enough for your team, that being said you can have favourites. i learned all the things i know from studying chaox and doublelift streams and vids, watch them and ask yourself why the do every little thing they do, why are they farming at exactly this moment? when did they just push the lane?why did they choose to harass the enemy at that specific moment? why is he stand there in the teamfight? if you can find the answer to these questions then you'll understand the role, all that will be left is being mechanically good enough to not die ever again in a teamfight unless its extremely worth it.

High Lord Bunny

01-10-2013

Will take it to heart.

SomeDoodWhoPlays

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-10-2013

Cait has been quite popular as well as Vayne. If your team needs initiation, then you can pick up someone like Ashe.

BK Ambientz

01-10-2013

Find 4 you enjoy playing. Practice those 4, and only 4 till you know them inside out. Practice last hitting/harassing on each. I'd add Cait to your 3 then go hard.

doomed2death

01-10-2013

I'd say Vayne is a pretty good carry to pick up (I'm learning ADC's right now too and have decided to really focus on mastering Vayne and Ezreal).

Why?

Graves is good/average throughout all points of play, early mid and late game.
Ezreal has a really strong early and mid game but kind of falls off late game compared to other AD carries.
Sivir is good/average throughout all points of play
Vayne has a weak early game, decent mid game, but probably the best late game damage output of any AD carry along with the most spammable mobility skill which is essentially a free trinity force, and a decent, if unreliable, stun that at least displaces people. Her ultimate is a decent steroid but her passive deals massive damage with some attack speed and deals true damage. This makes her a late game monster and really strong and versatile if you play her well.

So really, I intend to master Ezreal and Vayne for pure AD carry bot lane power. I'm also pretty good at Ashe (relative to my overall ADC skill which means I'm really not that good :P) for utility but you have Sivir which makes up for her lack of CC and vision (Ashe's specialties) with countering spells/traps (Teemo, Nidalee, Cait) and massive AoE presence.

Tatsko

Recruiter

01-10-2013

Most ADC's, if you're new to the role, have a pretty simple core build of Berserker's Greaves->Bloodthirster->Zeal->Infinity Edge->Phantom Dancer that works just fine. Ezreal and Corki are acceptions, you often see them either rush Trinity Force then build their core, or simply Phage->Sheen->Bloodthirster, and complete Trinity later. After this, most people will build one more offensive item (Black Cleaver and Last Whisper are popular, or sometimes a second Bloodthirster) and one defensive item (Guardian Angle is most common, but I've seen Randuin's Omen, Frozen Heart, etc. as well).

A lot of people say to build Iceborn on Ezreal, not Trinity Force. This is a good idea if the enemy is playing champs you really want to stay away from (Shen, Rammus, Volibear, that kind of thing), but in my opinion you lose out so much on offensive stats that otherwise this build is a bad idea, but to each his own .

Of course, none of this is set in stone, as you become accustomed to the role, you can start making different builds on different people (Runaan's Hurricane works really well with Kog'Maw, for instance), but the core will get you through most games. However, I would highly suggest building a Bloodthirster or at least a Vampiric Scepter early on, just for the sustain.

As for runes, most ADC's run flat AD marks, flat armor seals, scaling Mres glyphs, and flat AD quints. The flat AD and armor helps infinitely with lane domination, but once you feel more comfortable with the champs, last hitting, etc, try other things and see how they work for you on certain champs (such as arpen in place of flat AD on Draven, since his Spinning Axes lets him last hit competently without the early AD, and arpen helps more late-game than flat AD does).

You almost always see 21/9/0 masteries on ADC's, sometimes 21/0/9, but once again, when you feel comfortable with the role, tweak it to your own style (currently I run 19/0/11 on Ezreal, for instance, since I don't get lifesteal from Bloodthirster until after my Trinity Force the 3% lifesteal from Utility masteries helps more than you might think).

As for the actual gameplay, you want to use almost solely your auto-attacks for last hitting minions. Dance behind a wall of minions when you're not auto-attacking/fighting, this will protect you from MOST skillshots from both the ADC and the support, and help you stay alive. If you outrange the enemy ADC/support (and you almost always outrange their support), harass them when you can without missing cs. Learn how to harass with different champs, like using Ezreal's Q and doing one-for-one auto-attack trades as Draven. If you can force the enemy to recall, they lose farm and you have easier farming for a while. Go for kills but don't get too aggressive, people often underestimate the kill potential of a support. Many times have I gone in for that last auto-attack on their ADC, only to be killed by a Nunu ulti under the turret, or similar. Past that, make sure the support keeps up ward coverage, as ADC is the only role that shouldn't ward extensively, or even at all in many situations. Use the lane bushes to your advantage and be wary of them, a support jump from the bush can mean death, even if their ADC is low.

As for champs you should learn, it depends on what you're bad at. Bad at orbwalking? Learn Draven, his Spinning Axes FORCES you to learn to orbwalk. Bad at your early game? Draven, Caitlin, Ezreal, and Graves are all very strong early-game champions in my opinion. How about late game? Kog'Maw, Vayne, and Twitch (to a lesser extent than the others imo) all have strong late games but pretty weak starts.

Learn as many champs as you can as well, so you can synergize with any support you're given, and just for the sake of knowing how they all work in case you're ever against them.

As for countering, don't worry about being countered THAT much. While ADC's can be countered to an extent (pick Graves vs an Ezreal, for instance), you can only truly counter a full bot lane. If they take Graves to try and melt Kog'Maw early game, take Taric, Leona, Janna, someone that has hard CC/helps him escape really well. You'll learn more such things as you play the lane, and imo it's more important to synergize with your support than it is to counter the enemy (with a few exceptions, like never take Vayne vs Corki), but that's just me.

I'm sorry if I insulted your intelligence with some of my comments, I didn't mean to, I don't know how much you know about playing ADC/bot lane in general, and I don't know much about midding, so I thought I might as well explain everything just to make sure nothing was missed/no misunderstandings were made. I really love ADC, and I'm sure you'll grow to as well. Good luck, and feel free to send me a friend request in-game if you want to talk more or want help in another way, I love to help people however I can. Happy carrying!

DaHeroAce

01-10-2013

grab a couple. practice til you can do anything any situation. im a ezreal fan cause people are like "ye im hide behind dem minions gl bro" and i like to show em wrong