[Champion Concept] Matthias, the Lone Commando

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bioraptr

01-10-2013

Matthias, the Lone Commando is a military ranger originally from Demacia who has gone rouge and ventured off into the jungles of Kumungu to plot against his enemies. Matthias wields a heavy, iron-clad crossbow which is capable of firing spinning glaives with deadly accuracy and brutality. The crossbow has a large, spiked bayonet which can be used for close quarters combat.

Matthias is intended to be an aggressive, highly mobile, ranged AD carry who uses brush and other methods of breaking enemy vision to combat enemies with guerrilla-style warfare. His kit can use a variety of methods to either ambush enemy champions, assault them with hit-and-run tactics, or escape with haste.

Abilities

Quote:
Passive Ability: Guerrilla Tactician--
Matthias can use his crossbow bayonet at melee range to deal additional physical damage and knock back targets slightly. Cannot be used on the same target more than once every 8 seconds, or 4 seconds if Matthias breaks vision with the enemy team.

Matthias also generates Vigour, a resource which is consumed to cast abilities (Max 100 Vigour). Casting any normal ability consumes 75 Vigour.

Vigour is generated slowly while unseen, at a moderate rate when attacking enemy units, or rapidly when attacking and/or moving toward enemy champions. Being attacked by an enemy champion while above 50% Health will stunt Vigour generation for 5 seconds.

Upon obtaining 100 Vigour, basic attacks will reduce ability cooldowns by 1 second. Additionally, his next ability cast will consume no Vigour.
  • Matthias' bayonet acts much like Zed's passive with an added knockback and vision interaction.
  • Vigour uniquely allows Matthias to be a very strong chaser and team-fighter who capitalizes on being aggressive. If allowed to constantly attack and/or chase enemy champions, he is gained access to his unusually powerful abilities more often.
  • Vigour is Matthias' resource, which replaces the mana bar currently found on all AD carries. Normally, adding abilities which are not tied specifically to mana on a marksman would be very overpowered (huge AD scaling, spammable skills). HOWEVER, I believe that Vigour works for Matthias' laning because:
    1. All of Matthias' normal abilities are on massive cooldowns (20 seconds or more) and consume a huge amount of Vigour. Yes, they are 'spammable', but not in a practical 'force-you-out-of-lane' sense.
    2. As a result, he CANNOT efficiently chunk health because of these cooldowns, and also because of his Vigour mechanic. If he uses one ability (i.e dash to initiate), he cannot use his poke directly after unless he has a full Vigour bar, and even then, he will be exhausted for a long time after as he regains Vigour and cooldowns.
    3. His poke has a short range (about half of Caitlyn's Q range), has a curved trajectory, and is only best used when he can close the distance in brush.
    4. Taking advantage of Matthias short range and harassing him will hugely negate his generation of Vigour due to his inability to move towards you or access brush.
    5. All of these factors contribute to Matthias' intended role as a marksman with a weak early game (i.e laning phase, where mana issues are most relevant for other AD carries)
Quote:
Q: Mistprowlers--
CD: 25/24/23/22/21 seconds
Cost: 75 Vigour

Active: Matthias loads a precise Mistprowler glaive into his crossbow and fires it silently to a location. The glaive can follow a bent path and will damage and slow the first enemy it hits. If Matthias launches the glaive while unseen, it deals double damage. Also, hitting an enemy with this ability will grant access to its passive for 5 seconds.

Passive: Matthias uses barbed glaive rounds for his basic attacks, causing them to deal additional damage based on current health and inflict targets with a non-stacking bleed effect which lasts for 3 seconds.
  • Mistprowlers is Matthias' ranged poke. It becomes especially powerful when used from cover or while kiting in the jungle.
  • This ability operates much like Viktor's Death Ray. The player would drag to a location from a starting point (after a minimum distance), and the glaive will launch to match that trajectory after flying to the starting point. This can be used to hit targets behind minions if used correctly.
Quote:
W: Hit and Run --
CD: 32/31/30/29/28 seconds

Active: Matthias dives to a location and activates this ability's passive for 5 seconds. If the location dashed to is brush or an area where the enemy team has no vision, Matthias becomes untargetable for the duration of the dash. Champion kills refresh Hit and Run's cooldown, and assists halve it.

Passive: Matthias gains increased Attack Speed, and his basic attacks generate 3x Vigour.
  • Much like Vayne's dash, but with a much higher cooldown and vision interaction. Think of this as a hyper-mobility tool once Matthias' ultimate is used.
Quote:
E: Hydras--
CD: 25/24/23/22/21 seconds

Active: Matthias fires a hail of heavily poisoned Hydra glaives in a conical array that deals damage based on max Health and stuns struck enemies for 1 second. Used while unseen, this ability deals double damage. Hitting at least one enemy will activate this ability's passive for 10 seconds.
Passive: Matthias loads more Hydra glaives and uses them for three attacks. These attacks deal additional physical damage based on maxiumum Health and slow.
  • This would be a very close-range execution ability which can also be used to disengage.
Quote:
R (Ultimate): Fight or Flight-- Matthias surges with the thrill of battle, instantly locking his Vigour bar at 100 for 8/10/12 seconds and doubling the cooldown reduction for abilities offered to his basic attacks (from 1 to 2). Also, while active, this ability grants 20% movement speed and a 5 second stealth when entering brush or breaking enemy vision.
  • This is the crown jewel of Matthias' kit, so to speak. With it, he unlocks the potential of spamming his extremely powerful abilities with an added bonus of being incredibly evasive in teamfights.

Bioraptr

01-12-2013

Bump.

Bioraptr

01-17-2013

Bump.

Bioraptr

01-26-2013

Bump.

Zarkof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2013

Manaless ADC = no. You can poke indefinitely as long as your health allows it and this is just overpowered. If Kennen was an ADC, he'd just harass with his shuriken all day with no resource to worry about. You need to introduce mana costs.

Your passive is innovative. What is the distance of the knockback? What range does he have to be within to trigger the knockback? - the refresh cooldown on Vigor shouldn't scale. You should regulate the rate at which it accumulates, not the cooldown at which it can activate, like Statikk Shiv. The rate inherently creates a cooldown.

Q - Nice job combining the steroid with the nuke. The only thing I'm not sure of is the bonus on shooting it from brush. The steroid needs to have 1 effect or the other, not both. You can make it deal missing health damage or have it deal flat damage over time, not both. Missing health as a dot is okay but Fizz already has that on his W passive.

W - You're giving him too many attack steroids. You also need to be careful about balancing the dive range and the cooldown. If you want to keep it as a movment steroid that's fine, but you can't have him stack multiple attack buffs.

E - Lol, you just love your auto attack buffs. Since you made one of your skills into an aa buff, you should get rid of the other two skills' buffs or change them into something completely different. I'd like to know what the slow % is and its duration.

R - A bit lackluster. You are using this solely as a tool for his passive, and you already have movement buffs. Here's what you can do: Take the Vigor buff out of his passive and add it onto his ultimate as a passive, and have your ultimate active be something that works with Vigor or affects it with an additional effect.

Overall, you need to really tone down his auto attack capabilities. Change the activated passives on Q and W to not affect his auto attacks and then you should be good. You need to redo this champ with mana costs. Rework your Vigor mechanic, possibly focusing your ultimate around it.

Bioraptr

01-30-2013

****, lol, I wait out in exams for two days and I get some great feedback! Thanks a huge bunch, my friend . I tried to get really innovative with this champ, so I understand completely if there are some fundamental problems. Again, I love this feedback--- these are all the questions I was asking myself when I made this guy, so be as harsh as you want really :P.

As for what you covered, I HEAVILY considered the issue about mana. Like, HEAVILY. I understand how ridiculously overpowered that would be for an ADC, so yeah. The reason why I even thought of Vigour in this way was because I wanted it to come only out of aggression (namely, in the midst of teamfights, where manaless stuff almost doesn't matter). The only way he can use abilities is if he is very aggressive. I meant to give Matthias a really lopsided (for lack of a better term) playsyle --- for example, I have no numbers here, but I wanted these abilities on RIDICULOUSLY high CDs and consume a LOT of Vigour. I mean, like 20-25 second CD on all of them and large chunks of the resource bar gone with each ability. I meant this in order to dissuade infinite harass and to encourage the use of his passive. In addition , all of these abilities I intend to function as choice-specific (choose one in a lane fight or none at all). I did this with cooldowns and I will do it with damages that do not gratify those cooldowns. Overall, the only reason why I included manaless stuff was because I intend his whole kit to revolve around this manalessness. I think manalessness can be pulled off on an ADC if there is a kit that is handicapped in most areas except in the strength which manalessness provides.

Even so, I might still convert him to mana if you think it's wise (as in, if my above intentions are missing the point :P). Then, your changes will make complete sense and I'll need to rework him. Again, thanks a ton for the feedback.

Bioraptr

01-30-2013

Btw, I will update this with numbers tomorrow, probably. Numbers mean a lot, so I will try and reflect that as best I can.

Bioraptr

01-30-2013

Zarkof, you are also right about the scaling ability refresh and the steroids. Even if he stays manaless somehow, I shouldn't be adding so much raw damage. It's a bit bland too-- I'll reconsider. Probably add some utility.

If I keep the steroids? Maybe if he was barred from gaining any other steroids while one is already active? I don't know, maybe that'd work. Sounds a bit toxic, though. Ill try to center steroids around his E if I remove the bulk of them.

kymara2

01-30-2013

He seems like a cool idea :3 you should check out mine his name is Ace (sorry if i seem like i'm advertising I'm not trying to D': )

Bioraptr

01-31-2013

You might need a link for me to see it .