Pre-Season 3 Jungle Impact

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThePonsterMenis

01-10-2013

This pre-season has certainly been interesting from the perspective of a jungler. Here are some items for consideration, my general opinion of how they impact play style, and some tips for how to capitalize on the changes:

To orient my discussion of impact on playstyle and tips:
1. Creep aggro changes - The change from first attack to closest target has had an interesting effect on player behavior. In the past it was assumed the mid was going to leash for you, but it was like asking for blood to get another lane to toss you some damage. I have gotten more smiteless blues or reds since this change than in the 2 seasons prior. Perhaps the streaming of pro games has helped as well.

2. Change in neutral creep xp & gold - The impact of this has been HUGE! Now you can pretty much assess the performance of your clear rate in comparison with the 2 solo lanes, as you should be able to keep up with them.

3. Sightstones, oracles nerf, global gold change, cost reduction of choice items - Warding is cheaper, teams have more sight (LoS), and champs who didn't in the past buy HoG or phil stone (mostly ap mid) saw a small bump in gold with cheaper items.

How your playstyle should have changed:
A. Mobility boots or bust- You have to be quick, you have to be nimble, you have to have mobility. Opportunities are going to arise quite frequently when you least expect it. Not being able to cover the ground in time isn't acceptable.

B. Expand your warding - Support wards bot (which will move from bush to drag), you ward enemy wraiths + your area to invade of choice, mid wards your wraiths, top wards top. The rationale for this is 3 fold. First, with the oracles nerf you don't have to worry, you are going to get your 3 mins worth. Plus, if you get LoS of them invading, they won't know it. Second, for 75 gold each lane should never get ganked. Denying their team the gold from kills and moreover the ability to apply pressure from unexpected attacks far outvalues. Notice that I don't think top is a required spot to ward. It's situational, but generally recommended. Third, is because of the next bullet point...

C. Counter Jungle, Counter Jungle, COUNTER JUNGLE- As said, xp from the jungle is worth noticeably more. This makes the opportunity cost of ganking more... cheaper wards and no oracles makes ganking harder. Everytime you get LoS on the enemy jungler you should be assessing three things: their state, what objectives are currently up, and your state. There isn't an exact science for when to counter jungle but here are a few rules I have. I only invade after gaining vision. I don't challenge anyone when they are full/ near full hp. Always have some "CYA" available. Taking an objective is more valuable than an "opportunity" to gank.

Qsario

01-10-2013

Any tips for how supports like me can help the junglers out more? I try to ward enemy buffs whenever it's safe to do so or to pink ward ganking routes to help them gank as well as keeping track of ward timers and locations as best I can, but I don't know enough about jungling to feel like I really know what my jungler needs the most. I also know tricks like using sightstone to drop extra wards around dragon/baron when we're going for it so we don't get ganked, but I'm always looking for more ideas.

You're definitely right about more people helping leash these days, though. I usually try to drop as much damage on the buffs as I can before heading to lane to give my jungler as much of a head start as possible, not to mention using any shields/heals I have to keep their HP as high as possible and help them secure an early lead.

ThePonsterMenis

01-10-2013

You definitely hit on a big part, pink wards. Start either mana regen, 3 wards, pots or mana regen, pink green, one of each pot. In the case of 3 wards use one at your wraiths by river. Then invade opposite of the enemy jungler.. If you take a pink, still invade but make sure you save the pink. Always keep a count of their wards and call out the placement.

Don't play janna and be very selective of being nunu. Be **** about calling Mia. Ping whenever anyone walks over a ward. Most importantly, be aggressive midgame with ward placements. It's more effective to see them leaving their jungle or getting a spawn than knowing they aren't camping my bush. Because I can know they didn't leave their jungle and infer that.