Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Katarina tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pineluv

01-10-2013

Quote:
Fate000:
I've picked up Katarina a couple days ago and I don't seem to do so well with her as I did with Evelynn or LeBlanc.
I build:
>Rabadon
>Deathfire
>Hextech Gunblade
>Abyssal Scepter
>GA for tankiness
>Adlib (I always leave an ad-lib slot in my builds for whatever seems appropriate)

Can anybody give me some tips for Katarina? I.E. What's the best way to prevent them from walking away from your ult?

Oh, and would a duo lane Katarina/Lux be viable? Kat as APC and Lux as Support.

i've won about the last 7 or so normals i've played as kat. in that time i've landed a dozen multi-kills and one penta. max deaths are something like 4 or 5.

i don't wanna say i'm the forthright authority on katarina but i think i'm pretty decent.

1. Deathcap -- sure. it's a tough one to build first though considering how expensive it is. fortunately katarina can farm very well, but even then, trying to hit 1600 for a needlessly leaves you a bit damage-less for a while, unless you got the blasting wand.

i think deathcap is better rushed after having snowballed to 1600+ gold. otherwise, you may find yourself itemless for a while.

i usually build it as a third item.

2. deathfire -- this item is hotsex. but i hate actives. and katarina's so aoe oriented that a single-target nuke, while effective, ignores her kit's purpose; dealing damage to as many people in the fight as possible.

still it's a matter of preference i guess. and definitely not a bad choice.

3. hextech gunblade -- this thing is the scourge of my existence bro. literally all the kat's i've seen rush this or the revolver, but there's no actual reason to. the sustain in lane isn't necessary, as you'll have some form of pots somewhere, and the AD of the gunblade, plus it's active, again negates the strengths of her AP inclined kit.

sure, the extra aa damage is nice, but that's not really what you'll be doing a lot anyway when the passive refreshes everything. after all, this is the source of power for her kit; the passive refreshing your abilities means you'll be consistently dishing out more ap-inclined damage, and so you should gear your build towards that, and not ad in anyway.

the gunblade also provides no resistances or health, which is a negative when you're the loudest spinning target in the universe.

4. abyssal scepter -- so good. when people talk about ap itemization being op, i think this is the one they really mean. it helps negate your enemy ap's damage plus letting shred through their own resistances with mr reduction and ap. and your debuff will always be in range of your enemies. a great item on katarina.

5. ga - a must-have when you've landed a multi-kill or two. after getting about 3 items, it's worth it. they will focus you, and will always try to stop you.

here's my personal build for katarina:

boots, 3 pots > haunting guise > sorc boots > abyssal > liandry's > deathcap > zhonya's > GA.

the build provides health, deep magic pen, resistances, and a means of staving off focus. a target with GA and Zhonya's is a bad one to focus on.

the abyssal comes early, because you'll still be in lane, where the increased MR is most effective.

the masteries are 21-9-0. sometimes i'll hit 9-21 in normal blind, since there's a bunch ******bags who wanna talon mid all of a sudden. the runes are Flat AP quints, m.pen reds, health per level yellows, mr blues.

tips:

1. when to drop your ult - i only do it if there's three or more enemies in the area. if you max out W then Q, your damage is enough with my build listed above to take out two or less targets. sure, the ult can help, but they can cancel it (and they will try to). besides, kat's damage from her qwe are pretty strong, especially if one target drops.

in lane i'll drop it when i know for a fact it'll kill the laner, or just to get him out of the lane. then i'll farm quietly and gank the other lanes when my ult is back.

in teamfights, i tend to shunpo and W as many targets as possible. i don't ult unless i feel like i absolutely should (like it would keep us alive or win us the fight), or i know their CC has dropped.

really it's just about being patient. the best window to drop it usually doesn't come until shortly after they start running away. keep in mind your W boosts your movement speed when landed, which gives you a bit of time move ahead of them before hitting R.

2. how to - i try to position myself as far ahead and close to the direction they'd escape towards as possible. this forces them to either run toward my team or towards a direction they'd probably still die in. like i said before, i try not to drop it until i've run ahead of them a bit with W.

they'll always be able to walk away from your ult, but the passive refresh, which will very likely occur if you hit the ult right, makes it very easy to catch up with E and W's ms boost.

a duo lane for kat where the duo has CC is nice, but the thing about kat is that she has to be in her lane. she's one of those snowball champions who needs to outlevel in order to dominate. laning with someone else will gimp her in this regard.

it wouldn't be a bad idea though. but look at it this way: if there's a solo lane kat versus a kat that duo laned, the solo lane kat will almost always be higher in level, ahead in items, and possibly in farm. sure, you could net more kills, but that's an unnecessary gamble when you could just murder your enemy solo laner and gank elsewhere.

Fate000

01-10-2013

Thanks for the quickish and great answer!

I agree the Hextech Gunblade is not that good anymore due to itemization changes (Is it good on anyone?). I usually build the Blasting Wand first for some damage, then try to snowball to 1600 gold if possible. (I usually sell a basic item like a Tome if I need to do so).

I personally prefer the Flask + 5 HP potions + 2 Wards to start as a midlaner (No you're not harassing me out of lane, Ryze, why do you ask?) or as any other lane, mostly.
I usually build early game Wand -> Guise -> Rod so I'm not damageless. Katarina isn't known for her laning phase anyways, if I wanted that I'd go play LeBlanc.

And if your Lux is not an idiot and not stealing kills from you or farming, maybe it is possible to outlevel a solo laner? I have outleveled midlanes when laning ADC Nocturne, but I'm not an authority on the matter.

pineluv

01-10-2013

Quote:
Fate000:
Thanks for the quickish and great answer!

I agree the Hextech Gunblade is not that good anymore due to itemization changes (Is it good on anyone?). I usually build the Blasting Wand first for some damage, then try to snowball to 1600 gold if possible. (I usually sell a basic item like a Tome if I need to do so).

I personally prefer the Flask + 5 HP potions + 2 Wards to start as a midlaner (No you're not harassing me out of lane, Ryze, why do you ask?) or as any other lane, mostly.
I usually build early game Wand -> Guise -> Rod so I'm not damageless. Katarina isn't known for her laning phase anyways, if I wanted that I'd go play LeBlanc.

And if your Lux is not an idiot and not stealing kills from you or farming, maybe it is possible to outlevel a solo laner? I have outleveled midlanes when laning ADC Nocturne, but I'm not an authority on the matter.

np man.

i start with boots three pots since the mana from the flask is unnecessary. you should be relative alright this way if you're careful enough. but i like your thinking, and i do like doing flask/pots with other lanes myself.

lol sometimes it's in lux's nature to take kills. it can be possible if you kill enough, but it's like i said, it's a bit of a bargain. and you're guaranteed to level ahead your opponents in a solo lane, whereas you have to work for it more in a duo. that and mid is a sexy lane to gank from.

AnitaPhuc

01-11-2013

I play my Kat with MS quints. I always play her build situational since she has so many counters to stop her. If i'm snowballing i'll go hex tech first. If you shoot them with your blade, shunpo, and combo ult you'll almost get a full ult off.
As for the viability of hex tech, it has saved me so many times in team fights from my ult giving me spell vamp.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-11-2013

Quote:
Hookä:
Sunfirecape+warmogs and any other items after that gg

It really depends on where you're laning as Katarina.

Primarily, Katarina is a mid. She can top, but most people take her mid. If you're taking Katarina mid and your top lane is a bruiser, your team may not be able to afford building this extra tankiness on Katarina. Warmog's isn't necessarily the worst option for top Katarina, but honestly, there are plenty of other good options to build on Katarina if you're just looking for more health.

Sunfire Cape, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, and Liandry's Torment give you a lot of health (plus armor), while still giving you a lot of AP, magic pen, a slow, and the Liandry's passive. Combine this with a Hextech to restore some of your missing health pool, and Katarina is pretty darn tanky without sacrificing a whole lot of damage.

AnitaPhuc

01-11-2013

If you want to also survive team fights, zhonyas is also really good with her. You can go in do your combo and zhonyas. It gives you enough time for your cd on shunpo to come back up and you can shunpo out.

Eloquid

01-11-2013

Cool, one more troll that will spam kat every ****in game.

Fate000

01-11-2013

Quote:
Eloquid:
Cool, one more troll that will spam kat every ****in game.

I'd like you to note that I wish to expand my champion register and options, not get one champion that I instalock every time.
Thanks!

kyuubiflame

01-11-2013

SPAM Q and W LOL...she's my main since last year till i got nami last week,,,but still spam and PURE cooldown and AP items

Quote:
Fate000:
I've picked up Katarina a couple days ago and I don't seem to do so well with her as I did with Evelynn or LeBlanc.
I build:
>Rabadon
>Deathfire
>Hextech Gunblade
>Abyssal Scepter
>GA for tankiness
>Adlib (I always leave an ad-lib slot in my builds for whatever seems appropriate)

Can anybody give me some tips for Katarina? I.E. What's the best way to prevent them from walking away from your ult?

Oh, and would a duo lane Katarina/Lux be viable? Kat as APC and Lux as Support.

TERRORIST WlNS

01-11-2013

Oh do not go up against counters at mid like talon, especially when he hits lvl 6, his burst will do tremendous damage to a katarina his eq or qe combo silences you and then the q does extra damage and bleeds you for a bit and if his w hits you, you will be slowed and take damage. Anyways point is be careful when you go against counters, I've seen katarina switch with top lanes and get fed at top lol xD