Carrying as a Support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ancient Fraggle

01-10-2013

Hello all,

I've recently started playing ranks and I've chosen Support as my main role. I've seen many threads about ways to climb the elo ladder mainly by carrying the team. Usually roaming as mid when the lane is pushed, or having frequent presence in every lane as a jungler. But I'd prefer to stick with Support as I have the most fun with it. So my question is:

How does one carry a team as support?

Sometimes I get placed with an ADC that isn't particularly skilled at poking when the opportunity arises, or has poor map awareness, blows their escape at the wrong moment, has poor positioning allowing themselves to easily get jumped by both enemy adc and support, yadda yadda yadda...

So more specifically, how does one carry an ADC as support?

I feel like I've got the basic skills down:

- Atleast 2 Wards active 100% of the time in tri-bush and by Dragon (with spare wards for bottom brush in case the enemy team has taken control of them)
- Position myself either in the bush popping out every few seconds to keep the enemies on their toes, or if they own the bush I'll position myself in between the bush and my adc in case a Leona or Blitzcrank grab pops out so I can sacrifice myself
- Immediately stun/interrupt/silence their adc after the enemy support is able to stun/grab my adc
- Ping like crazy whenever my wards pick up the enemy jungler or mid moving in for a gank
- I poke the enemy adc like crazy whenever he goes in for each CS

During team fights:

- Save my interrupts to break enemy ults
- Save remaining spells to protect my adc if bruisers have pushed their way through the front line
- Ward ward ward ward ward ward.........

How can I further improve or what actions can I take to carry as a support?

Shesocold

01-10-2013

Those are the main points. But a lot of the time your ADC is literally impossible to save. Ex) I fell below 1200 Elo supporting on game because we were outplayed. Fair enough. The next game I had the entire river between bot and mid warded I pinged their jungler several times when he would attempt to gank and one time I literally told him to fall back. No response and he died after I used every skill I had trying to save him and eventually dying to the gank. Yeah. It can be that bad... My advice is to be an a****** and take a carrying position. (this is also recommended by the majority of other summoners on the forums according to a poll I did)

Qsario

01-10-2013

After laning, you're not really glued to the ADC any more. You might want to follow around whoever is the most fed and support them primarily if your ADC is no good.

This goes double in teamfights, where you should spend the most effort on saving whoever does the most damage. Or get good with Janna so you can save the whole team

But sometimes there's just not a lot you can do to save people.

Shallow Cubes

01-10-2013

Sounds like you've got the fundamentals down already. Any further improvements will likely come from timings, improved positioning, and becoming a better team evaluator. Potentially, incorporating CV into your summoner spells without hindering your performance much by not having something like Flash or an extra Heal (since you typically won't sacrifice Exhaust).

Team evaluation is always a solid thing to understand, and important for a Support to note within the first few minutes of the game. You need to quickly understand how competent, aggressive, or passive your ADC, the enemy ADC, and the enemy Support are. That's just a start. It will also help if you are at least somewhat aware of how the other two lanes are faring as well. Running on a team at least saves you the trouble of understanding your teammates (most likely), so it would just boil down to understanding the enemy laners.

Aside from that, I completely agree with Qsario above about supporting the most successful players on your team. As one of the well-known junglers said, sometimes you just have to declare "triage" on your ADC and continue by supporting your other teammates. This happened in a game recently where my ADC failed and we lost the lane, so I supported our Mid during roaming, and we ended up winning. Assisting the most successful player post-laning will extend an advantage instead of trying to even out a disadvantage. You just need to quickly weigh out if the energy spent getting the ADC back to even is worth the benefit that can come from it. If that's clearly not the case, spend your energy on another teammate.

Fair warning: This might get you hated on.

iDpark

01-10-2013

These tips are important for junglers too.

Find the best player on your team, (not including you, people are biased.)
Proceed to help them out. Teamfights, whatever.

Being an AP support can also help, lategame it turns it into a 5v4.
(Zyra, Lux,)
Additionally, CC will help, a ton. (Leona, Janna, Blitz)

Pinks to deny vision, then call for ganks.
Junglers don't like wasting their time.

Make sure you have proper runes/masteries.
Adjust them to playstyle.

Know who works well with/against who.

Have fun.

Qsario

01-10-2013

What they said about helping jungle / roaming mid is a good point. As support, you should try to watch timers just as much as the jungler is. So you watch their wards, do your best to inform the jungler when the wards go down, etc. In some cases, knowing that wards last 3 minutes and that a particular support had a habit of replacing them almost immediately, I've been able to actually schedule a gank with my jungler. He went to river away from the ward right when it expired. Sure enough, Taric wandered up the river alone and we were all ready to gank him.

Also, you can call MIA for ALL lanes, not just your own. You and the jungler have the most time to look at your map, so you can ping when enemies are in weird places / MIA / etc. You may also be able to sneak a ward in on an enemy buff if you're careful (laners both backed + mid/top/jungler in lane somewhere) which should help your jungler out. It doesn't hurt to point out enemies you catch wandering past wards, either.

I main Janna, so I'm always trying to watch out for interruptable ults (Katarina, Nunu, Amumu, etc.) and break them with my CC. This includes trying to save my CC for them, because competent players are going to try to ult while my CC is on cooldown. Janna has an advantage because she can save her ult for the pushback (which breaks channels) and use her tornado more freely, but other champions will have to use whatever they have.

Finally, remember to think about your support items. Maybe you have some favorite items, but these days we can really mix it up a lot. CC heavy team? Crucible is nice. AOE magic damage? Bulwark is nice, not to mention the Locket. Who is the tanky initiator on your team? If you have weak initiation, you might want Twin Shadows (the ghosts actually have a LOT of uses), Shureliya (always useful), or the Shard of True Ice, which works wonders when you drop it on Olaf, Amumu, or Darius. Or on yourself if you're, say, Leona or Blitzcrank.

With the huge variety of utility you can get from items now, there's almost always something you can build to help cover the weaknesses in your team comp. Ideally, you should start thinking about what items you will want as far back as the loading screen, when you go over what abilities & summoner spells each team has. I mean, you see a Nidalee taking Clarity and you just know she's going AP and planning to spam that spear. So you want the Runic Bulwark early to just put a stop to that. But sometimes you'll have to adjust the order you get things when some enemy gets fed and someone else turns out not to be a big threat because they suck.

So just look through your team to see who is doing what. Who has CC? Who has a good initiation move (e.g. Blitz, Amumu, etc.)? Who tanks? Who pokes? Do you rely on big AOE damage (Miss Fortune's ult, Amumu, etc.) or single target DPS (Ashe, Vayne)? And what do the enemies look like? If your only initiation is a Darius with his grab, you want to make up for that with something like Twin Shadows. If you have a lot of melee bruisers, you'll want the Shard of True Ice to drop on them. And both teams will love Shureliya's Reverie.

It comes down to seeing what's killing your team and putting a stop to it as well as covering for any weaknesses in your team comp. You can't choose who your allies play as, but you can recognize that your Olaf is fed and buy a Shard of True Ice to use on him so that nobody gets away. You can choose who to shield. You can help the whole team escape (or engage) with Shureliya. You can manage your CC to make sure it's available for high priority targets (especially Nunu & Katarina ults).

Finally, it helps to communicate with your ADC right from the start. Maybe you can take mini golems early. Maybe you want to synch up your level 1 spells by going for Janna's shield + Ashe's 1st arrow crit from her passive, or perhaps you need tornado at level 1 vs. Blitzcrank and would like that Caitlyn use her traps to guard the bushes. The more you understand what they plan to do, the better you can work with them. I mean, Leona can just wreck the place if her ADC knows what he's doing. But you probably want to wait until level 2 before you engage with her and hopefully have the ADC there ready to proc her passive so you don't give up all that free damage. But if you don't communicate and your ADC doesn't know how to make use of all that free damage, Leona might just be diving into her own grave while the ADC misses the opportunity for a kill.

I know that people say you can't carry as support because you can't do much alone. This misses the point. Nobody can really win the game all alone. You're there to improve the whole team as much as possible.

Ancient Fraggle

01-10-2013

Really great info here. Thanks for sharing!

BK Ambientz

01-10-2013

Ward well. Ping retreats. Harass and Zone. Zoning is incredibly good. Get you and your AD to stand between the enemy bot lane and creep wave. Don't even bother CSing. You get the exp from creeps dying, they won't.

GibbyCanes

05-02-2013

Old thread, but I'll share what I've found to be effective for carrying as a support. I play Sona, and i try to poke and out play both the enemy adc and support down to about half health. This makes them scared to go after even the most retarded adc's. I typically have 5-6 wards out at a time. Sometimes more late game. At enemy jungle sections and all through the river. Or if we are losing I ward all of our own jungle intersections. I can almost always make sure my carry is fed, and I can use all of my abilities and item actives to allow our team to win engages by basically just standing still and attacking. The warding is essential, because you can roam as a team and catch people out of position and by the time they realize the reason they are all being assassinated is because you have 10 wards out it is too late. They're already being crushed by our snowball. Don't sacrifice yourself for a truly worthless adc. Sacrifice yourself if it will allow members of your team to get enough kills for the trade to be favorable. Watch Xpecial play with WildTurtle. Every now and then he'll go full ****** and get killed, and Xpecial just walks off and farms minis or something. He isn't going to quit making mistakes after you take the death for him. Eventually, they'll be strong enough to be able to chase the adc even after you are dead. And then you are both done. A good support that stays alive still has a team that he or she can help win fights. A bad adc is just a bad adc. With a support who is behind from saving the adc over and over again, he no longer has anyone to setup plays and mitigate his bad decisions. GL with support.

Hirumonogatari

05-03-2013

the most difficult part of being support is knowing when to abandon your adc and go help someone who's actually doing well snowball harder.

had to make that decision when my MF went 0/7/2.. not including the amount of rage. went top to help my 3/2/4 garen push down the turret, then we ganked mid where anivia was already 9/1

during teamfights just focus on protecting anivia. who cared if rengar jumped on MF? she wasn't going to do anything anyway. MF ended up rage quitting at 2/14 and we won the subsequent 4 v 5.