Maximizing damage to towers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Safetykone

10-20-2010

Alright, so I usually run in premades. None of my friends are particularly good at playing carries, so I am usually playing the position of carry. I usually build to maximize my damage capabilities in team fights, but I tend to have really good early game anyway. Now my group of friends does a great job late, some have a decent middle game and most have a pretty crappy early game. That's fine, I have been playing a lot longer than them. But it got me thinking. If I could dish out enough damage to enemy towers they would either have to lose their towers, or leave lane to stop me, leaving the rest of my team to have a safer farming experience.

So my question to you is this, when playing as a carry, both AD and AP,
what build of items optimizes your tower damage, and what build order would also optimize it.

For physical, I was thinking something like
Black Cleaver + Ghost Blade (or Sheen/Trinity depending on the physical carry)
->Long sword
->Boots
->Long sword
->Brutalizer
->Long sword
-> lvl 2 Boots ( probably berserk for these purposes, though merc works too)
->BF sword
->Black cleaver
->Brawler Gloves
->Avarice Blade
->Ghost Blade

For ability I was thinking something like
Lichbane + RageBlade
->Sapphire Crystal
->Boots
->Amplifier Tome
->Sheen
->lvl 2 Boots (for the purpose of the thread, berserker greaves might be best here)
->Blasting Wand
->Null Magic Mantle
->Lich Bane
->Blasting Wand
->Pick Axe
->Rageblade

Mind you I would appreciate more practical builds, I mean 6 blood thirsters might do the job, but god **** thats a lot of money, also keep in mind crit does not work on towers so I imagine stats like AD,ARP, AP, MP, and ASP might be better choices.

BlazinHaze

10-20-2010

Black Cleaver is not effective against towers. I tried out an anti-tower Tristana and got Brutalizer + Ghostblade. It was a pretty effective method to force a short game.

Another good anti-tower strategy is playing Taric.

DrDragun

10-20-2010

Blazin is right, Black Cleaver and Last Whisper are ineffective versus towers. Ghostblade and Brutalizer is the most cost effective armor penetration. After that it depends on your hero... if you have an attack speed steroid like Tristana then get big damage. If you have big damage like Sion then attack speed is what u need for tower killing.

The best backdoor characters are probably Yi, Olaf, and Alistair due to double or triple steroid skills plus tower-specific bonuses.

Safetykone

10-20-2010

Oh, huh so that doesn't work... Alright so then per attack, what is the most effective dps increase versus a tower?

Vijaya

10-20-2010

The stats that make you deal bonus damage to towers are: AS, AP, AD, armor pen.

AP has a .4 ratio, and you get two AP per one AD, making stacking AP less effective, so that is out.

AS is great, but there is no pure AS item that isn't a Dagger/Recurve Bow, and all of the items provide stats that don't help versus tower. I would suggest getting a Recurve and leaving it at that until you need something for teamfights.

That leaves AD and armor pen. People have already mentioned Ghostblade and Brutalizer, so I won't talk about them. Other than that, the most effective AD item in the game is Bloodthirster.

That means, if you want to do max damage to towers, you should go something like:

Zerkers
Ghostblade
Brutalizer
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster/Recurve

DrDragun

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetykone View Post
Oh, huh so that doesn't work... Alright so then per attack, what is the most effective dps increase versus a tower?
The biggest single-item DPS increases would come from big +AD items. However Ghostblade and Brutalizer are very effective for their armor penetration and for their cooldown reduction and low cost.

Biggest AD items:
+110 AD Sword of the Occult maxed
+100 AD Bloodthirster maxed
+80 AD Infinity Edge
?? Atma's Impaler (average 30-80 depending on build)

These aren't necessarily cost-efficient though. Infinity edge costs over 4000 gold, much of its benefits are for critical strike which do not effect towers.

I would say the best early-mid game combo for tower pushing is Brutalizer+BF Sword or Recurve.

Safetykone

10-20-2010

Alright so we have talked about straight ad carry champs, what about ability heavy carries like jax ezreal and akali?

Amaterasuomikami

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetykone View Post
Alright so we have talked about straight ad carry champs, what about ability heavy carries like jax ezreal and akali?
Rageblade... Rapes towers... Nuff said

Chingmeister

10-20-2010

I think they changed towers so Armor pen no longer works.

I think just normal BF swords and recurve bows work best now, preferably on someone with AS or AD buffs.

Darkwahn

10-20-2010

Jax eats towers now, once he has his ulti, you can bring it down by yourself pretty quickly.