The elephant in the room... Dominion as a mode won't grow without heavy promotion.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Golly

01-09-2013

These type of threads get posted almost daily. Ranked this, ranked that. But all we've heard from Riot in terms of Ranked is that the mode isn't ready for it. It has to grow. It has to be balanced (through itemization and global buff primarily, because they do not want to balance champs around Dominion).

But those types of balances won't draw in new players. The mode has to be promoted, and it needs to be done by riot and the community.

There are already people who do tons of promoting as much as they are able. Sauron through awareness via guides and advice (and direct talks with Riot afaik). Feedski through DD. That really can't be underscored enough. I'm positive that without Dominate Dominion, this mode would be a shell of what it currently is. DD basically is the community right now.

So thank you to Feedski.

This subject is always lightly touched on in every Ranked thread. Community growth in general needs to happen. How do we do that? What makes a community grow? Feedski and others are doing all they can, but what can we, as a community do to help grow it.

There are some common sense things, like be polite to new players. Helping them in terms of item builds, what the meta for Dominion is, how to get into the community. (again, Sauron & Feedski and a few select others have gone above and beyond in this area) And if you aren't familiar with these guys, navigate over to http://www.dominatedominion.com, join the in-game chat dominatedominion and also check out Sauron's Tier list. (it's more than just a tier list).

Being polite, saying gg, not raging is a good start for those of you just looking to queue up and go.

But there has to be more that we as people who are involved with the mode and community to do. And I think there is.

Support Dominion streamers. There is a huge draw to a game that has a popular streamer. And there are a very few select group of people who stream daily. Digikid being one of them. (http://www.twitch.tv/Digikid) Navigate there, follow him, watch him.

Not only does supporting him help him personally (possibly financially), it also helps the mode overall. The more exposure a single streamer has, the more likely it is to be featured in twitch, and the more likely someone watching it will fire up a dominion game.

This is a huge gaping hole in what I think that we as a community can do to help the mode. More people should be willing to fire up a stream... a regular daily stream.. and commit to it. There should be a guardsman bob for dominion.

Another is through promotion of the DD tournaments. They happen weekly. And every time Feedski has one, he posts a link to reddit. It is the simplest thing in the world to go there and upvote it, and also comment. You don't need an email address to register. You need a username and pw and it takes less than 30 seconds to do this. If everyone in DD chat went there and upvoted it and commented on it, it would be easily visible on the lol reddit front page generating even more exposure. We, as a community, need to step it up.

As far as Riot goes, there needs to be some in-game promotion. It would be amazing to see some more exposure of the tournaments via in-game UI. More featured games to spectate etc.

Win of the day for Dominion. It has always been a good idea.

I have more thoughts, but they are just tumbling out now without coherence. There are ways to give Dominion more exposure, we just have to converse and come up with ideas.

edit: I started a reddit thread on the topic. http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...s_looking_for/

Hopefully getting some outside perspective will help.

Swampmajikk

01-09-2013

I really like to think that it IS growing.
I've had considerably more good dominion games since the honor system was implemented then before.
Either my hidden ELO is improving or people are starting to take dominion seriously.
Theres still a huge problem with AFKs and there will always be ragers but I always try to be graceful and whether I win or lose if it was a good game I let everyone know and usually honor anyone on the other team who i had good fights with regardless of the outcome.

I just wish more people would behave like I do. The community and game itself would improve a lot..

As for methods of promoting dominion...I think being helpful respectful and always trying to have fun is the most important part. Not really sure what else can be done on the end of the players beyond that. But I suppose that is what this thread is for.

naotasan

01-09-2013

When DD gets on the front page of things (reddit/league mainsite) we get 1000+ viewers and people wanting to participate in the tournament.

The community can help with reddit, but the league main website is up to Riot.

Reddit front page gave us 1000ish viewers.
League front page gave us 3000+

Swampmajikk

01-09-2013

I've got one. How about increased IP the more consecutive dominion matches you play, with even more for winning streaks. The only problem with that is that people already use dominion for IP grinding...thats why I think that the increase for winning streaks might help so that people may actually learn the game and actually try..

Dominion win of the day is a great idea too.

bierfaust

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmajikk View Post
I really like to think that it IS growing.
I've had considerably more good dominion games since the honor system was implemented then before.
Either my hidden ELO is improving or people are starting to take dominion seriously.
Theres still a huge problem with AFKs and there will always be ragers but I always try to be graceful and whether I win or lose if it was a good game I let everyone know and usually honor anyone on the other team who i had good fights with regardless of the outcome.

I just wish more people would behave like I do. The community and game itself would improve a lot..

As for methods of promoting dominion...I think being helpful respectful and always trying to have fun is the most important part. Not really sure what else can be done on the end of the players beyond that. But I suppose that is what this thread is for.
Sadly I don't think it is growing.

I think the current influx of players to DOM has more to do with the fact that it is pre-season on SR and Riot have openly admitted that they are using this time period to test item balance, champion balance and jungle balance, all of which are out of whack across the board, and I think that SR players take time out to play 1 or 2 DOM games because they get frustrated with SR in its current state.

Would explain why there are so many duo queue people that bring their idiot SR friends along and tank the team. I have witnessed this and been on the receiving end, not fun at all.

Malah

01-09-2013

This map is not going to grow unless Riot chooses to make it an equal to SR. It's simple.

And it's not happening soon. It's unfortunate, but that won't make it faster.

It's been stated that our balance is strictly unable to interfere with other maps, and though we've been blessed with a separate item pool (Still don't get the logic: you can have your own items but not champion fixes. Some masteries have been altered for non-SR, it wouldn't be a stretch.) they're unwilling to give us map-specific champion balance and I will put myself on the line by stating that's not going to change while SR Tournament play is their pet project. Not going to. It's giving the game a rather large amount of face-time, as silly as I think e-sports are. The resource allotment is a rather unfortunate indicator of our priority. We're not not getting tournament play coverage or resource allotment until we're worth taking manpower away from elsewhere (And for once with Riot, we legitimately get next to no manpower in reality), and without resource allotment we're not getting any of the fixes we need such as map-specific champion balance, item fixes, map changes, company marketing, and the long list goes on. Without that, blah, blah, viscous cycle, yada, yada, at mercy of Riot.

Change has to happen inside the company on their own terms as our input doesn't get far at all. We're going to have almost no impact on the rate of change there, but what we can do is take our efforts where they matter. No, that does not make threads advocating change on this forum. Preaching to the choir is an ineffective waste of effort. We need to get out on the other community websites and start spreading accurate information about the mode and market for ourselves, because out there is where the base of converts wait to hear the message. Discussion here, fine. Limiting ourselves here is just awful.

It's pretty much like the DD thing; the only people who know about it either are in it or don't care. We need more efficient distribution of the few resources we have.

Yeah, I'm pretty cynical, but I'm not into false hope and I'm total outside perspective here because I really don't care if we get ranked or any of that. Champion balance would be lovely because I hate Kassadin and a few champs with a passion, but it's really not such a big deal to me when Riot's made their stance pretty damn clear on how important they think we are and there is no way they think it's an issue of numbers or something. The people who matter overall are aware of the map, I'm sure, but they don't care and have no reason to steer more manpower our way. Nome on his own isn't enough to get big steps.

We need to improve the community for its own sake, because that's the only legitimate reason we have. It's still a nice goal to have, considering it's the only attainable one we've really got at the moment.

Would other stuff happening be nice? Sure. But I'm not into false hope.

Just my input on the matter while I wait on a queue.

MajorUrsa

01-09-2013

If we step up as a community and continue to support our local DD streamers, and the DD weekly tourney events with things like upvoting (and posting in) the Reddit link, upvoting and bumping the general discussion pages with polite dialogue, answering questions for GD individuals, sharing the DD facebook pages updates and posts, we can easily generate more viewers for the streams, which will in turn generate more interest in the community.

Malah

01-09-2013

You've got that in reverse order. Generate community interest through conversation with the public, and then they'll move towards the streams. Yeah, promote streams anyway to get what comes, but what we need to do first is get a bigger base of people who don't think Dom is a joke. From what I gather, the ... sheep? ... players? pay attention to flashy community sites for things like guides or E-sport team websites (which are supposedly open, but basically consist of teams marketing themselves and letting on whatever else seems like a good idea). We either need to get Dominion on those pages (and the right information, not stuff like that godawful article that guy posted a week or so ago) or get our own page and promote it.

We need to market ourselves and let that lead people towards the products, not expect people to come out of nowhere and take interest in the products. Our problem is that we're lacking momentum, and we need to find people to get it going. If we could just get it started on our own then it would have happened by now.

FDru

01-10-2013

The ball is in Riot's court. It's really kind of ridiculous to say that the community needs to step it up.. the Dom community is very small in the grand scheme of things, and the hardcore Dom community (the only players who could ever be asked to actually promote Dominion) is even smaller, and they've already done so much, especially the DD organizers (mad props).

Riot just chooses not to support this game mode, it's the sad truth. There are simple things they could do to promote Dominion and create a massive influx of players overnight if they wanted to (Dom win of the day, for example), they just don't. I believe that Riot wants to create a varied game experience and attract different kinds of players, but that they want to keep the vast majority of players only interested in SR to make their lives easier.

Rewenger

01-10-2013

You don't see any red posts at this forum, that somehow discuss the development of dominion with players? Oh, no. Riot just tries to keep it more or less balanced. Afterall... IT'S JUST DOMINION.