Supporting sucks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wubbitas

01-09-2013

It does. The items are lame. The lane is incredibly nerve racking. It sucks. It just sucks. Completely.

Every game people literally get frantic about locking in something that isn't support to force someone else to do it.

I play bot lane nearly every game for WELL over 1000 games. These were vastly most -normal- games or -normal draft-.

I can say for certain that in regular play, I'm not talking about super high 50k viewers on twitch tv elo, i'm talking about the normal game. The game that people with jobs and lives play, that bottom lane is incredibly more difficult than mid or top.

When I by some miracle, so very rarely, actually get to go top or mid because some SAINT actually CALLS support bot, and mid or top is magically open for me, I have such an easy time. Mid and top are so easy. So easy. You can chill, kill creeps, relax, take your time. Counter build. Hug your tower, buy some HP pots, it's so nice, it is like a VACATION.

I guess what I'm getting at in my rant is this, bottom lane is frantic. It is super demanding. I would love to see riot actually come up with a way for supports to get money. Like real money. Like I can buy a cool item by 25 minutes without having to be a part of 6 kills.

I find support to be in an incredibly boring state right now.

I've played ad bot and support bot so many times, I just get sick of these people who think they're pro and never go bot.

My rant is pretty much about this:

Bot support needs a way to get gold that doesn't depend on the other team feeding or playing bad.

People who call mid or top everygame, you people suck. You will always suck because you don't do anything difficult.

Jungle is just as demanding and stressful I know.

I hate people that right when the game starts they do this

MID
"Top"

Durp called it means I don't have to do anything difficult and can RPG on creeps.

Fix supports to actually make them exciting to play, as in, they can afford to get real items at realistic points of time during the game.

MooncakeForAll

01-09-2013

But you hav to tyink that you can change a whol game like bltz fr their adc or soraka for karthus

paintolar

01-09-2013

I personally main support. And call it soon as i get in game, guess im one of those "saints" you are talking about.

I dont think support is boring at all. And while yes, bot can be more stressfull, if you are communicating and working well with the adc its not hard to steamroll over the opponents.

I dont have a huge ammount of experiance in pvp, and am only level 21, but the only game i have lost is one where we went 3v5 because of afkers. While i dont consider myself great at the game (i do ok) i feel as a support, i make a huge differance in wether we win or loose. Keeping the enemies adc zoned and constantly backing keeps them underleveled and underfarmed. Thus securing an easy win(assumin the team can work together in teamfights)

Paintolar.

Ps, feel free to add me, id be happy to support you anytime.

TERMINESTORGG

01-09-2013

Im main support and i love it xd even when i play dota 6 years ago, support its great dude, you are one of the most importants characters in all the game, you are the vision of your team, mostly the crowd control, and you help others dud.

btw, the items are not lame, if you go for runes of gold per second + philosopher + lucky pike + couple of assists you can have all items you want, well a few at least...

MooncakeForAll

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintolar View Post
I personally main support. And call it soon as i get in game, guess im one of those "saints" you are talking about.

I dont think support is boring at all. And while yes, bot can be more stressfull, if you are communicating and working well with the adc its not hard to steamroll over the opponents.

I dont have a huge ammount of experiance in pvp, and am only level 21, but the only game i have lost is one where we went 3v5 because of afkers. While i dont consider myself great at the game (i do ok) i feel as a support, i make a huge differance in wether we win or loose. Keeping the enemies adc zoned and constantly backing keeps them underleveled and underfarmed. Thus securing an easy win(assumin the team can work together in teamfights)

Paintolar.

Ps, feel free to add me, id be happy to support you anytime.
You are not the only one liking support it gives me such a good feeling using my combos as blitz

Probably Farming

01-09-2013

In my opinion, Supporting is one of the best roles in the game. Especially for me, as a Janna player I love her kit and play style. A very controlled and passive lane, but at the same time can bring a lot of aggression to the lane. I don't see why supporting is such a terrible role. I thinking peeling for adc, keeping the team aware and providing pressure. In all honesty, in the lower elo (from a mid gold level), it's probably the most important role. No one keeps tabs on timers for buffs and dragon, no one wards (cept jungler's wriggles...) and can do what a support can. If you think about it, they pose a great threat to the enemy. Sure you can win without one, but protecting the adc, getting him/her fed during the laning phase and then position team fights late game, it really makes a difference. Supports are the best.

PsyRoseLight

01-09-2013

I use to play support alot, i did find i had to be on my toes alot more.

i had to be aware of wards at all times, each team mates life, CD, ults etc
i had to know exactly what was going on at all times and attempt to predict things
(sure every player should do this, but i found support would more so)

Items are a little lame, i agree, but playing support is less about items, more about timing and other things.

Idk i dont think Support is lame. but i can see how some players just dont like it.

AdunSaveMe

01-09-2013

Support me irl
Nah but seriously I'd just like to say that supports can dramatically change the way a game works, like soraka's ult stopping karthus from getting a penta with his, or alistar pushing enemies into turrets or away from teammates. I'm not totally amazed with the gp10 items because they tend to build into things that I don't go for early game, and I personally do better off with other builds, but not everyone plays them, either because they don't like it, aren't good at it, or prefer/know they can play other roles.
Top and mid can be way harder than bot. If you have a jungler and the enemy team doesn't, it's essentially a 1v2 up in top lane which can lead to a hell of a lot of problems, and being counter-picked in mid can also be a pain because you'll have trouble with it until you get a gank.
I guess I myself am a pretty **** player because I always do my absolute hardest to get support bot, because it's something I can actually do well whereas I fail hard at offensive roles. I'm not an amazing player overall but I'm getting there.
Also I have heaps of fun supporting. I've recently gotten really into playing Lux and often I'm able to zone so easily while the adc gets farm, just throwing singularities and snares and lighting the passive, then mid- and late-game I can throw out all my abilities and my ult to protect allies and weaken enemies.
tl;dr support is great, but not for everyone

JevelFaithful

01-09-2013

Whatever floats your boat. I'd actually thank you on behalf of your team mates to at least play support, you just shown you are above the rest of the comunity.

But honnestly, I find support the most relax role. Even if you feed, you are still usefull, it's the antithesis of a lee sin where you are fed or useless. You don't have to watch creeps, just the enemy and throws cc or shields when needed. I find it fun to actually be able to focus on the general map instead of tunnelling my vision on my lane. Tought I manage to tunnel myself playing support too.

To ease your pain: I've seen numbers of normal games without supports that worked pretty well. Especially with farm heavy hypercarries or dedicated kill lanes (kinda riskier). Comes mid game, the "support" will get kills like the rest of the team. You don't need to stress it too much. That being said, th eproblem is that most people don't want to play duo0bot. So you're still in your lane.

Boagster

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubbitas
Bot support needs a way to get gold that doesn't depend on the other team feeding or playing bad.
They don't. As someone who plays support more than any other role, I'd actually propose that they are the least reliant on kills and assists.

Take a look at this:

First back, Philosopher's Stone + Boots or Wards, depending on cash.
Second back, Kage's Lucky Pick + Boots or Wards, depending on what I bought first back
Third back: Sightstone

At that point, with GP/10 Quints and the Greed mastery, I've doubled my natural gold income to 32 GP/10. Add on pickpocket, and I can harass for gold. Plus, I'm spending a lot less for wards compared to past seasons.

Compare that to minion waves: The first wave is worth 20 x 3 for melee minions, 15 x 3 for ranged minions, for a total of 105. That's a potential 17.5 GP/10 (the scaling is very small, so I'm ignoring it for simplicity's sake), with a bonus 40 gold per 90 seconds. If another champ isn't last-hitting every single minion, they start losing out. I often end up with more gold than half my team as support. I almost always have more gold than either teams jungler.

Quote:
Fix supports to actually make them exciting to play, as in, they can afford to get real items at realistic points of time during the game.
This statement suggests that you don't understand the role of support. The best quality of a support champion is the ability to function with few-to-no kit-specific items. Their kits are based around utility, not damage, and we have yet to see utility abilities that can scale off of items (besides healing, which has been nerfed to hell). Even Zyra, who is played more as support despite being designed as an AP Carry, doesn't need much in the way of AP to be of great use both in lane and in teamfights.

The items designed for supports are designed the way they are to provide additional utility. The Kage's upgrades, Shard of True Ice and Twin Shadows, both provide your team with crucial slowing power, while the latter can also serve as split-second map awareness. The Philo Stone upgrades provide an escape mechanism for the entire team or additional healing power (and the latter with no item-slot cost by end game!). Sightstone and wards, obviously, help the entire team with vision. With boots, that still leaves two slots to build as needed, assuming you don't just sell of the GP/10 items to make room for other things.

Those are real support items. Whatever "real items" you are alluding to are not.

Quote:
I find support to be in an incredibly boring state right now.
Did you play support last season? I think this season is a huge improvement to the enjoyability of support.