Creative Design AMA - Vi, the Piltover Enforcer

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garlyle Wilds

01-09-2013

I have no idea if this has been brought up before, but I have to ask--why did Vi choose to save the mine workers? Is it a case of her turning out to be kinder hearted than she thought? Did she see some of herself and a 'poor unfortunate upbringing' in them and sympathize? Did she see the gauntlets first and become overcome with the incredible urge to punch everything, and saving the mine workers was just an advantage? Is it something else?

Master SARS

01-09-2013

Why does Vi even join the League? Why is she there?

More broadly, do you still think it's right to not include in the Lore reasons why champs (Vi included) join the League? Otherwise, why have a League of Legends at all? Why not call the game League of Champions Who Randomly Fight Each Other?

Harrow

Associate Creative Designer

01-09-2013
6 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkomantis View Post
Please tell me more about this rag tag group of criminals! Knowing this will help me understand if there is any bandits in the world of League of Legends. Is Rob Blackblade connected to Vi in any way?
The center of Piltover prides itself on being a technological utopia, free of crime and poverty. As the state expands, though, those expectations become...unrealistic. The outskirts aren't like Noxian slums by any means, but there are certainly people willing and able to get around the law. Most of them would just see theft as a way to survive...but sometimes greed and pride overwhelm necessity, which is part of why I think Vi had a change of heart.

I imagine Piltover criminals to use technological tools and equipment, but they're likely more jury-rigged and scrapped together than the smooth, polished Piltover tech you see from someone like Jayce. And no, Rob Blackblade doesn't actually exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmnid View Post
Who punches harder- Vi or Blitzcrank?
I'd say Vi. Her gauntlets were designed to punch - Blitzcrank is a multi-purpose robot whose fists can clearly do more than punching, so I doubt he'd be able to bust open, say, a bank vault with quite the same efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravechaosknight View Post
Hmmm, does Vi like sweets? I mean I know she calls Cait "Cupcake" because of Cait's traps, but she might have ulterior motives.

How often does she actually flip tables? Has the institute insured against table damage?(As in the damage to tables that are flipped, and the damage caused by tables being flipped)

If Vi found out she had a sibling, would she want them to be like herself, Caitlyn, MF, Lux?(I know I only named female champs, but feel free to name any ideal brothers, lol)

Vi seems like a what's in front of her is more important than what's behind her kind of person, but if she had the chance to help other "delinquent" kids find a way to put their abilities to more positive use would she? I mean I'm sure she would try to help them if they were struggling with the decision to be "good" or "bad", but does she take them as they come or actively search for these cases.

That's it for now I think.
Yeah, Vi would eat sweets, I don't think she's obsessive about her diet. I still think she calls Caitlyn "cupcake" mostly because it gets a rise out of her though.

I would not be surprised if Caitlyn's desk has been flipped numerous times after she had to try and discipline Vi. It probably costs more to repair the door she punched through and the wall that went with it, though.

I think Vi would SAY that she'd like a sister to be just like herself. But in reality, I think Vi would fight herself a lot. I don't know if she'd get on with herself. I think she'd be a good "big sister" to someone like Ezreal - she'd mock him endlessly and let him fall on his face over and over again, but ultimately she'd have his back and cover for him if he needed it.

I think yeah, Vi's more focused on the future right now and wouldn't actively seek kids from the streets. If she comes across any, though, I do think it would spur a reaction. On one hand, she still doesn't really have any moral problems with kids being criminals, but on the other hand she might feel compelled to steer them away from going down a truly dark path. I dunno, interesting story fodder to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
What champ does Vi enjoy punching the most?

edit: also, what champ does she fear the most?
I think she'd really like to punch champions that pride themselves on style and poise. Fiora jumps to mind.

I don't think Vi would openly express fear of any champion, so it's hard to say. I think her street upbringing might've given her a paranoia about people that lurk in the shadows when she's much better suited to a straight-up fight. Thinking along those lines, I think someone like Talon might remind her of the darker side of street life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseMoney View Post
Does Vi love me as much as I love her? (j/k)

More serious question, Does Vi admire or respect any other league champs not from Piltover? (And why?)
She might string you along, but she'd break your heart. LITERALLY.

If she got to know Jarvan, I think she might come to respect his "gets stuff done" attitude to life, though she certainly wouldn't treat him like a prince and I don't know how they'd cross paths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaoLong View Post
Here's another good one-- how does she feel about punching an 8 year old girl's guts out.
(Annie)
(Punched so hard, a shockwave goes through her that kills an Armored Bear in the brush behind her)
(OH GOD THE GUTS WHY)
(WHY DID SHE HAVE TO EAT BEFORE FIGHTING ON SUMMONERS RIFT)
I dunno, I think I must've killed 1000+ Annie Bots while developing her and she didn't seem to bat an eyelid.

Super Explosion

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
I dunno, I think I must've killed 1000+ Annie Bots while developing her
Oh dear.

Annie Bot never forgets, Harrow.

Never.

Harrow

01-09-2013
7 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra Man View Post
:O YES.

Can she pick up eggs?

How the heck does she keep the fists in the air when her arms are halfway to being twigs?

Considering that she has spent so much of her life being a loner does she resent Cait somewhat for forcing her to operating in a partnership?

Has she ever killed a criminal with a single punch "on accident"

What did she do with all the loot from her vigilante actions?

Why did she want to join the league?

And most importantly of all
If Vi charged up her fist(s) and threw them in the air, how high could she go?
- Eh...not with the gauntlets on.
- HEXTECH. Seriously though, the pack on her back provides power and braces the weight of the gauntlets. It's like powered armor for just the hands.
- Yeah, she'd claim that she hates working with Caitlyn most of the time. I don't know if it's true, though - I think she liked the camaraderie of working with her old criminal buddies more than she'd admit. All of her antagonism of Caitlyn might just be her way of showing rough affection.
- Nah...I don't think she could work with Caitlyn if she was liable to kill people. Caitlyn's all about detainment and reform.
- I don't think Piltover criminals were getting HUGE scores, so I don't think Vi was becoming a millionaire. I think she'd keep enough to live on, use some of it to repair and upgrade her gauntlets (they used to be much scrappier than they are now) and the rest...I dunno, I can see her destroying loot just to make criminals mad.
- Caitlyn probably asked her to as part of the job, but it's also a pretty great place to brawl without having to hold back. She might also wonder whether or not other champions might know something about her origin, but she might've just put all of that behind her just now.
- She couldn't FLY, but hey, you can see an uppercut throws her pretty high into the air in game. Without the resistance of a person to punch, she could jump pretty high. Basketball would be easy...though she might burst the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuzAnn View Post
Is Vi gonna get to have her own arch-nemesis in the future? The unstoppable force meets immovable object dynamic might be a fun one to explore given Vi's personality and fighting style.

I'm confused... I didn't really get that Jayce was an ass from his bio or from his AMA, or his in-game quotes... I mean his bio states that he has charm and wit, but when I think of charming my mind doesn't immediately jump to someone who's an ass. Was that part left out? Is it supposed to be the Tony Stark type of ass? Does Vi have this opinion without actually knowing him personally, or has she actually gotten to know him enough to recognize that he is one?

And is Jayce's AMA no longer canon now? I mean the frequently running into law enforcement bit seems to imply that he is, in fact, out on the streets smashing criminal face with his hammer, which seems too often to qualify as ivory tower. Did something happen between then and now that caused him to become more of a recluse?

EDIT: One more question...

What is Vi's genuine opinion of Caitlyn? Does she consider her an actual friend/ally and actually want to do good, or is this only a partnership of convenience for her? If it's the later... Why is Caitlyn still in it? It seems to reflect poorly on Caitlyn's character if she allows herself to be used like that.
- I'd love to give Vi someone she'd have trouble dealing with, but we'll have to see.
- Don't get me wrong, I love Jayce more than most people, but all of the fame and adoration can make him seem kinda full of himself to someone like Vi. Like I said in a later post, though, I think "pompous ass" is just how Vi would describe Jayce to people. That doesn't mean she can't get on with him or even like him. She's just brash like that.
- Yeah, Jayce does get involved in law enforcement, which is how Vi knows him at all. I think that would kind of annoy her too though - Jayce spent his early life in comfort and safety, and now that he's a famous hero he thinks he can saunter down to the streets and clean everything up? Pah. But still...it's pretty hilarious when he annoys Caitlyn, so he's got that going for him.
- Let me put it this way - Vi says she's just in it for convenience. But if that's all it is for her, the partnership won't last. I think Caitlyn sees something in Vi beyond just a handy battering ram.

Harrow

01-09-2013
8 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokiorin View Post
Does Vi ever get to "restrain an escaping criminal" (aka... beat the tar out of them) when Caitlyn "goes to get a cup of tea" during an interrogation?
I don't think Caitlyn would be okay with properly violent interrogation...though the suspect wouldn't have to know that. I think "Good Cop Bad Cop" works pretty well when the bad cop is carrying those gauntlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anymeese View Post
disclaimer: I'm being picky and I know it. I *LOVE* Vi and play her more than anyone atm, 3rd favorite champion in the game (behind Trundle and Sejuani of course)

1) Vi's arms look REALLY small to carry those huge gauntlets. Is it as simple as "she lifts little weight in many reps i guess, idk" or was there an artistic/design reason behind this subtle characteristic?

2) Does Vi ever take off her gloves? if so, when?
2.2) I used to watch an anime called Fairy Tail, which had a female character with red hair (pretty sure her name was Scarlet) and her signature look was fully clad in armor (save the helmet). As you got to learn the characters more you found of that this tough girl that was stronger than everyone else and EVERYONE was afraid of, actually had a soft inside that she tried to hide, with her armor symbolizing the walls she set up around that part of her.
So.. is there any emotional or mental connection with Vi and her gloves? Does she feel vulnerable when she takes them off IF she does?

3) Vi x Jayce? :O Really though, I'm curious how these two are related in the lore
1) I'm not an artist, not gonna speak to that kinda style decision, but I'm happy in the knowledge that Science * Magic = Explanation.

2) Yeah, I don't think she sleeps with them on, for instance. They also need repair and tweaking after raids etc. I think she keeps them on more than is strictly necessary, but yeah, wouldn't be uncommon to see Vi in her daily life sans gauntlets.

2.2) Vi was a tough kid before the gauntlets and I don't think she relies on them for her emotional strength. She is proud of them, though, and likely has a bit of a "Don't Touch The Gloves" attitude.

3) Talked about them a good bit so far already. I think they'd have a fun relationship but I don't think I'd go so far as to ship them. I think maybe, in a moment of weakness, Vi might, POSSIBLY, say "You're a good guy, Jayce." Maybe only after a few drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thezyzyva View Post
Hey Harrow, first of all thanks to you and the lore team for expanding on the old two paragraph formula you guys had mostly used for so long. It's nice that bio's are longer now to help fill the lore void.

Now, my question is, does Vi have any other relationships within the League that wouldn't be immediately obvious? I'm assuming if there is, you guys are probably saving it for later and can't say who it is, but a yes or no would be nice, if possible.

Also, is there a chance we might see one of her old crewmates enter the league at some point? I know how you guys are with things still in the works, but come on, humor me. (Note anything you say that isn't a direct "no" will be taken to mean yes.)

Thanks Harrow!
- I don't think she has existing relationships beyond Piltover yet, but I'd love to tell stories about Vi going elsewhere in the world. I can see it happening, since we know Caitlyn has worked with Demacia in the past.
- I don't think we'd make one of her crewmates, they don't seem like Champion-quality human beings to me. But I'm not gonna rule out other characters related to Vi's world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
1. Does VI stand for 6, does this mean there might be another 5 just like her?

2. It looks like she wears something like a skin tight body suit over a frilly pink dress .... yet she has 7 visible belts. If she was once a thief, does this mean she rummaged through ezreal's dresser?
1. She doesn't know what the VI mark means. Someone might. Who knows?
2. iono, belts are cool.

EzraTwitch

01-09-2013

Hey know this is off topic and probably not even in your field of view but can we get a red opinion on swapping Small Golem and Wraith camp position to discourage poaching by your laners.

Phourc

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
1. She doesn't know what the VI mark means. Someone might. Who knows?
I was hoping it stood for "Violent Inmate" when I saw it in the teaser. xP

Ravechaosknight

01-09-2013

Oh, one of my previous posts got me thinking. Vi has obviously learned the mechanical side of taking care of her gloves, but what about the magic side. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the original Gloves/pack were Heimer's design(if I remember correctly he made Yi's goggles, so he obviously understands that Hextech can be used to amplify an individuals abilities.). This would open up an interesting sort of Grandfather/Granddaughter or Master/Apprentice relationship between the two.

You know instead of being angry that she modified his original design. He would recognize her ingenuity and resourcefulness and want to help her foster those skills. She would recognize he would be able to teach her how to properly understand and take care of the gauntlets(No more guess work, or minor changes), and teach her more about hextech in general.

I mean it could start as simply as Heimer giving her one of his uppity comments in passing. Something like. "Yes, you've stabilized the power output, but I'm afraid the current heat distribution abilities aren't up to the task. Do be careful girl, they are liable to get very hot with extended use."

You know something simple. Maybe even something Vi would know, but not something a person without intimate knowledge of the system would know with just a glance.

I think it's an interesting dynamic. What do you think Harrow? Could such a relationship form between Vi and Heimer?

Nerzhules

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2013

How do Vi and Caitlyn view Viktor after the incident with the arcane crystal, would they attack him on site? Would Vi use Viktors techmaturgy to make her gauntlets better or stronger
(Viktor is one of my favorites )