Creative Design AMA - Vi, the Piltover Enforcer

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prince Kassad

01-08-2013

I don't get it. The lore team doesn't want to do the JoJ anymore because it didn't reach enough people, but aren't these AMAs on the Riot forums a far more obscure way to deliver lore to fans? How many people does this actually reach?

Seriously, where is the lore? Where are Evelynn and Maokai's new bios? Their current ones don't make any sense and it would only take like an hour for any decent writer to fix the inconsistencies in two paragraphs of material.

NotBuzzJack

01-08-2013

Has she ever tried punching Rammus' shell?

Calderweiss

01-08-2013

What are Vi's thoughts on jax?

TACOxBOY

01-08-2013

this is going to be a loaded question...but has vi ever encountered goblins? what is her stance on other races and finally who or what does she consider as an honorable opponent? i know the goblin question is a little strange but i really love goblins in fantasie settings and wish that oneday we may see a goblin champ(rip goblin shopkeeper).

Swak

01-08-2013

Loving these AMAs personally.I love to get insight into the characters of the champions

Anyway, Harrow, how would Vi feel about Darius and on a different level, Viktor?

Darius because of philosophy simmilarities ("With overwhelming force" comes to mind) but personality conflicts, and Viktor since Vi has experienced firsthand (In a rather crude fashon) the benefits of hextech augmentation that Viktor strives for in his glorious evolution.

LesLlamas

01-08-2013

What happens when Vi's unstoppable force meets Olaf, the ulting immovable object?

Harrow

Associate Creative Designer

01-08-2013
5 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortide View Post
What does Vi think of her fellow Piltovernians (correct term?)
Has Vi developed a certain kind of fighting style or is it just "punch as much as you can" thing?
What does she think of Syndra and Xerath?
Does she remember her parents or miss them?
- Piltovians! I think she sees a lot of Piltover residents as kinda naive, the ones who live in the crime-free center city. And then there are those on the outskirts she grew up with, who she finds alienating in their complete self-centeredness, hence breaking away from them.
- Like I've said, she doesn't put much thought into "technique", but she has certainly learned a thing or two through the countless fights she's been in.
- She doesn't pay them much thought. She would kind of roll her eyes at their grandiose ambitions.
- Nope, no memory. As far back as she can remember she was on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerboy View Post
How are Vi and Jayce connected????, rivalry, bf and go, siblings, etc. What is it!?!?!?!?
I feel like Jayce sometimes gets himself involved in Piltover law enforcement, even though he's not an official member. Vi would be less than impressed with his celebrity status and wouldn't hold back from insulting him to his face. Still, though, I think they could get along, maybe share a common interest in antagonizing Caitlyn.

Seven Score

01-08-2013

What are Vi's thoughts on the other city-states? I imagine she'd be quite amused by all the stuffy Demacians going on about justice and Noxians being all dark and serious.

53papers

01-08-2013

What does she think of Ezreal, Heimerdinger, and Janna?
Does she have the ability to use magic?
Would she like of respect the Noxus lifestyle/ideal?

Arance

01-08-2013

Ooh, time for a bit of character analysis musings...

Okay, so, the most intriguing personality aspect of Vi is certainly the switch of con turned cop, but this is also where motivations must be pretty narrowly defined. Simply put, I fail to see the logic behind such an abrupt and, more importantly, broad heroic turn. Having grown up with few options herself, Vi understands the desperation that leads to crime and how society can create it. She is probably in a better position to empathize with most criminals than any other.

Now looking at her turning point, Vi becomes disgusted with the other gang member's lack of empathy towards bystanders caught in the middle, and cuts ties with the gang. This is fine, this is understandable, but how does this lead her to preying on other criminals? She appears to disapprove of the callousness of the criminals rather than any moral indignation against the crime itself. So then why does she seem to turn and prey (as both vigilante and cop) on all criminals; even going so far as to steal from them for herself?

A person such as her wouldn't hate the crime, only the criminals. In short, someone like Vi has an agenda. Personally, I see two main motivations that would drive her in this situation: she would either want to help others escape the same desperation that forced her into such a life; or she has a very specific person or group in mind that she would very much like to see reduced to a red paste. For the former motivation, taking to the streets and punching and stealing your way through the criminal underworld does nothing to help those on a similar life path as her to find another way in life.

So the latter it is. This means there would have to be an individual or gang whose actions directly conflict with Vi's morals; morals which, as a reminder, would not be as simple as 'stealing is bad' for someone like her. While we have no hint to whom her 'nemesis' would be, her former gang is of course the first and most logical choice. Putting that aside for now though, this also means that someone like Vi would be relatively uninterested in most other criminals who haven't violated her moral code.

I'm curious why, then, Vi would be depicted as uniformly caring about catching and beating up all criminals? And by extension, why would Vi tolerate working with Caitlyn on anything that didn't directly further Vi's agenda? What am I not seeing here, I wonder?