The State of Lore

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ravengerman

12-24-2013

To start things off, I just want everyone to understand this isnt a hate thread. I am not hating on Riot, or their game currently. I merely am talking about the side of the game I am feeling isnt going the exact right way, and in my eyes is being a bit neglected.

I like this game Riot, I really like season 4. A lot of nice things were changed, and I honestly think this game is benefitting well from it. The Lore however has not changed much in a very long time.

I feel as though lore in itself is just being pushed aside. But I ask why, and If im just being ignorant of lore. Am I missing it? Is it just harder to find?

I liked back in February we got Quinn. Quinn has a pretty cool character, I like her (though I think she could use buffs but were not here to discuss this), what I liked more however were the letters that were reveled she were writing about the criminal wanted by demacia. I thought that was really interesting.

Having a champion technically defending a sort of nemesis champion and addressing other champions in the league and reacting to them as a personality (Jarvan and Garen) was pretty sweet. Now granted, these were nothing compared to the journals. But you know what, it was pretty damn cool.

This was somewhat continued with Lissandra coming out, I believe Quinn talked about doing some sort of scouting mission in the freljord in a similar style to the previous letters. Though my memory is fuzzy about exactly what it was.

Oh and lets not forget about Aatrox. That was a pretty neat picture (and lol at the Lux/Ezreal scandal) That was pretty fun and an interesting look at a champion who forges the history of valoran

Where is the lore today? I dont feel the world turning in league anymore. It may be just me, I can accept that, but I try and find officially released things and I am not finding them. I then ask the question of does it even exist? Back with the journals I felt the world turning very quick, there was a lot of interaction and I felt connected to another world if I decided to dive in it, it wasnt invasive, it was there for me if I wanted. I am saddened by the loss of journals, I never liked that they were canceled, but Im not gonna throw hate at Riot for it. I understood.

But now im just concerned because Its just not continuing at all. At least I dont feel it to the same effect. There world just feels like a random assortment of characters now then an interactive actual world. I know each champ gets lore and some is awesome (Like Zac) and some is ok/doesnt fit anywhere (Jinx, pls jesus dont hate me, shes just not connected like others) but I dont see the little few paragraphs of a character are enough to make a world like it once was.

On topic with this im also losing track for why champions are involved with the game in the first place? Aatrox being a prime example. He is a being who likes war and the league tries to end conflict, why would he join. And Jinx, oh boy, Shes one crazy crazy lady, and shes hilarious and kinda fun as hell to play, but her in the league? Why? I dont think she would have any other reason than to piss off Vi (could be a valid reason)

So as I said, this isnt supposed to hate on anything, im not all pissy just looking to throw rage at.something. I am calling out to anyone who either feels this same way, felt this way, or has answers for me. Fans or rioters, though I would like rioters to comment anything about the state of lore. Ill take anything.

I would love for anyone to tell me why I am wrong, or offer feedback for my questions of any kind. I am just asking for you not to just hate me for a dumb reason. I didnt want to offend anyone with this im simply asking one simple question

Where is the lore?

TL;DR: Riot Pls

SecretLore

12-25-2013

overall yes the lore is at the moment not really progressing.
I think it is because on the one hand many people wouldn't read the JoJ in the first place because it is too much text,especially for newer players on the other hand they are retconning a lot of lore at the moment.

About characters joining the league:
I don't really know why it bothers everyone that much,I mean it should be pretty obvious why the champions join anyway,shouldn't it?
Aatrox loves to fight,so it is quite likely he joined the league because it allows him to fight,like you said the league tries to prevent war in the first place so there is no war aatrox could join(remember he himself didn't create the wars,he merely participated in them)not to mention that it looks like he is interested in what will happen to tryndamere,which would be another reason for him to join.
In Jinxs case it is also rather obvious,as she loves destruction and the league allows her to destroy stuff,not to mention it is a really good chance to mock vi and caitlyn,which would be another reason.

Just because riot doesn't write "and so X joined the league because Y happened" doesn't mean there is no reason behind joining the league.

lahwxy

12-26-2013

To be honest I expected some Freljord action again now that the Snowdown Showdown has begun. But since nothing happened i now hope that at least they'll give Freljords even a closeur (sry if i spelled that wrong) when New Year comes upon us. I'm thinking somewhere inbetween late january and late february. After all they did tell us that one day, the Freljords war will be ended and one Queen shall be crowned. And that should be Lissandra imo. Not just because i freaking worship her, but because most summoners "joined her clan". I'm talking about dem icons ofc, if you guys want, i can find a link for surr@20 post about the stats, and how Frostguard won. =)

Sir Shadow Isles

12-26-2013

I would also like to see more things come out that aren't directly League related. The most obvious example being the JoJ. I would LOVE it if the Journals came back. Also, another thing I would love to see is the Champion Judgements/Reflections be updated. There are several champions who don't have one and some insight of their character would be a good read.

Ravengerman

12-26-2013

We really need to know though why champions are in the league. Its really the basis behind why we play characters at the end of the day. Aatrox doesnt make sense to me because he is a being that enjoys war. He likes real war, like with bloodshed, massacres. the quote "Real warriors are born in blood" (or something like that) kinda helps. He loves real war, league not only prevents war but league has an isolated state of war that allows people not to truly die. Thats why Yorick joined the league (unless they retconned him) Yorick only is curious as to why people in the league dont die regularly. Its very important for why a champion is fighting for the people who care about lore.

But sadly I guess we are in the minority

SecretLore

12-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravengerman View Post
We really need to know though why champions are in the league. Its really the basis behind why we play characters at the end of the day. Aatrox doesnt make sense to me because he is a being that enjoys war. He likes real war, like with bloodshed, massacres. the quote "Real warriors are born in blood" (or something like that) kinda helps. He loves real war, league not only prevents war but league has an isolated state of war that allows people not to truly die. Thats why Yorick joined the league (unless they retconned him) Yorick only is curious as to why people in the league dont die regularly. Its very important for why a champion is fighting for the people who care about lore.

But sadly I guess we are in the minority
uhm aatrox really enjoys fighting and what can you do limitless within the league?Yes it is fighting.
Also it doesn't look like he ever provoked a war between two factions,so as long as no one is starting a war outside the league the battles inside of it is the only thing that comes close to a war the league itself,the league won't stop to exist just because a single guy refuses to join it.

Ravengerman

12-26-2013

Though we dont know he provoked a war. He does like war. He finds war and joins (from what I have gathered) the losing side and he fights because he loves it. He loves the bloodshed the mayhem and what it does to people, he is one sadistic creature. Him joining the league would not make sense to his lore at all. Like, read his lore. he murders droves of people who are at war, pushes one side to victory because he loves it. He wouldnt want to join league at all. The league would go on without him. I never said the league is essential with him, they didnt even know he existed. im saying that it is against Aatrox's character, or so would seem because im going off of evidence I dont have. I only read his lore and can say, oh he joined the league cause of whatever reason. but we dont know why and its frustrating.

And were back on topic of too little lore again

The only reason I could see him being in league is because he realized that the league wont allow wars so its the only way to get his fix. But we will never know until Riot answers why. But since theres no lore team anymore I dont think we will see the answer soon

SecretLore

12-27-2013

You are essentially answering your own question.
He loves war.
But there is no war anymore since the league changed that.
However the league still offers battles on the field of justice,which is the closest thing to a war that they have.

So yeah,what is the most likely reason that he joined the league?Right it is that the league is the closest thing to a war he can get,so obviously he'd like to join it.

He might have some plans,but from what we know he simply enjoys fighting.

Ravengerman

12-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretLore View Post
You are essentially answering your own question.
He loves war.
But there is no war anymore since the league changed that.
However the league still offers battles on the field of justice,which is the closest thing to a war that they have.

So yeah,what is the most likely reason that he joined the league?Right it is that the league is the closest thing to a war he can get,so obviously he'd like to join it.

He might have some plans,but from what we know he simply enjoys fighting.
Yes I offered a potential reason, but its not cannon. I dont know whats cannon. Thats the problem

I saw this posted in a thread before, "Ambiguity can be fun, but not like what Riot's doing"

I dont mind not knowing some things, C from caits lore. Jarvan's love interest that is gone. Shyvanas mother, Swains backstory. Who really killed Yasuo's master. But you cant leave out these essential plot elements. By Lore we need to know why they are joining so they dont turn out to do something super evil later on. You can have your purposes but we need to know what you are for, who or what you are here for. Its essential to the plot