Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Would you mind if the next champion had no lore at all?

Yes, that sucks. A great story draws me to games. 2583 76.42%
No, it's stupid. I'm not playing this MOBA for the story. 796 23.55%
Voters 3380 .

[COMMUNITY POLL] If the next champion was released without lore, would you care?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tinithor

01-08-2013

I didn't ever read the JoJ or other more obscure lore things , but i WOULD care if there was no backstory on the champions released at all. I feel it adds a lot to the character and me wanting to play as them to know more about them as a character and not just a skill set.

woopyfrood

01-08-2013

More lore.

ArmySquirrel

01-08-2013

Surprised there weren't any passionate mentions of passion. It's something that some people were passionate about.

THAT SAID, I haven't felt that the lore has necessarily declined. There are some very neat ideas that are hinted at, and certain Rioters, notably IronStylus, is quite enthused by it and has given it a lot of thought even though most of his ideas haven't seen the light of day as "official" lore. I think it's better to say that Riot's attention to lore has diminished, and I feel not to League's benefit. I feel the creativity is there, but the means of expression is not. Developer comments seem to contain more lore than what is released officially. Not that everything has been amazing, but there's still plenty good in it. The complexity is there, but the two paragraph background lore snippets is a very limited means of exploring it.

I do wish Riot would get that going, but sadly it is just going to be a secondary priority because sadly the lore isn't what a lot of players want. That doesn't mean it should be dropped entirely. Variety is a good thing, even if it isn't the best part of a franchise.

Personally I like to know something about the champion, otherwise they really do become one-dimensional and ultimately we just sacrifice champion character at that point. I'd be pretty annoyed. The funny part is they'd still have character, but only like 3 people at Riot would actually know what that is.

Mxie

Recruiter

01-08-2013

I doubt I'd be personally affected, but lore is still sometimes fun or interesting. So it would definitely be a loss of a little charm, no matter how insignificant it would be to me. Any amount of personality on a champion is much better than just a model with a skillset, some animations, and a few meaningless quotes.

Doctor Swole

01-08-2013

league lore sucks dick. riot has dramatically pulled back on lore and they are still incredibly popular. i think that says all that needs to be said

SlumlordThanatos

01-08-2013

Well, given the uproar this community has made about recent skin decisions and with them "not fitting with the theme of the character", I'd say we're pretty invested in the lore.

Besides, I like to have some background on the characters I play as, and to have something tying them together. Having a backstory can make a good game, great. Doesn't Riot want to have a great game on their hands?

SpiffmeisterZ

01-08-2013

It's starting to feel like any little bit of lore they give us is now a huge thing... I could go play any other MOBA, and have it all be the same, but I stuck with League because I liked the characters and the world they created. All the hype that surrounded Diana, all the cool Shadow Isles stuff, mostly the hidden remarks when capping the altars (I can't wait to find out what they say for Thresh, the first thing I did trying him on the PBE was to go on TT and see if he had one yet), all the little hidden passives with champs (I am still waiting for my chance to smash a tea-cup with Vi) and then the awesome story with Rengar and Kha'zix.

That said, I really hope things like that KEEP coming. I didn't get to read much of the newspaper thing and was honestly sad to see it go. People keep mentioning the judgements that seem to be the characters interviews to get into the League and wish there were more.

Anyone can make cardboard cutout kills other cardboard cutout in cardboard land, but it's adding depth to it that sets one game apart from all the others.

Just look at all the failed Diablo clones that got the gameplay down perfectly, but had such horrid story telling and never really got anywhere outside of 'Well... At least it's something interesting and I play because I remember how much I loved Diablo' - It was not only the gameplay, but the world that they created that makes everything remotely like it a "Diablo Clone" and not simply a "Dungeon Crawler"

I want new maps not for different play modes, but to see more of the continent. I want more void champs not just for more champs to play, but for more insight into this coming invasion. And I am psyched about a new Shadow Isles champ not only because he looks fun, but for more insight into their schemes.

Peffern

01-08-2013

Quote:
headhunter228:
Well, given the uproar this community has made about recent skin decisions and with them "not fitting with the theme of the character", I'd say we're pretty invested in the lore.

Besides, I like to have some background on the characters I play as, and to have something tying them together. Having a backstory can make a good game, great. Doesn't Riot want to have a great game on their hands?

I have to say, I always thought the point of skins was not to fit with the backstory at all the skin that fits with their story is their default skin. The other skins are either just another look (sivir skins), run counter completely counter to the story (Arclight Varus, Justicar Syndra), exist for the hilarity factor (Surprise Party Fiddlesticks) or exist to fit with a theme (nurse skins, pentakill)

Mr DyZ

01-08-2013

Lore's are for young kid's, and young school girls...

Unless your older than 30, and still live with your parents or grandparents.. IN that case, lores are still viable for you.

M3TASH33P

01-08-2013

Poll answers are too specific

Id be mad if the lore was removed because i like it, but its not what draws me to the game