Would you mind if the next champion had no lore at all?

Yes, that sucks. A great story draws me to games. 2,583 76.44%
No, it's stupid. I'm not playing this MOBA for the story. 796 23.56%
Voters: 3379. You may not vote on this poll

[COMMUNITY POLL] If the next champion was released without lore, would you care?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

leetninjaz

01-17-2013

I for one enjoy the lore a lot, and seeing as most of the people posting in this thread wouldn't care either way, why not vote for the lore to continue? I'm just asking people to be a little considerate besides I'm not buying RP so riot can be lazy and not bring there full game to this game -_-

Alex3omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

I voted no because since Varus the lore has been absolute trash with very few exceptions. It sounds harsh, but it's true. It's like Morello hired his 13 y/o niece and a 15 y/o nephew or something, and they take turns. "Nami was the prettiest bestest mermaid" "darius is tha strongest of all the noxuses"

I read the lore and just laugh because it's so "original character do not steal" or "my frist D&D character" or whatever... it's just... BLEggh. The re-writes are even worse, and the inconsistencies (shen has two dads, karma's judgement never could've happened, singed warned WW of the dangers of a volatile potion..) and the lack of ANY lore outside of the tiny blurbs we get, combined with no information on why anyone wants to join the league when it used to be the main narrative of the judgements..

I just pretend there's no lore now because as silly and cliche as it sometimes could be, it was never embarrassingly bad. It never made me hope nobody read it before playing the game. I mean, today there was a tournament where none of the fans asked knew who Tryn's wife was, or what Nunu's Yeti was called. People obviously don't care about lore.. and Riot is included in that. :/

Eletale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

IMake this poll in GD, and seee the results. If you're in the Lore forums, the result amounts to nothing.

Noobunaga

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eletale View Post
IMake this poll in GD, and seee the results. If you're in the Lore forums, the result amounts to nothing.
It was in GD when it was first posted up, but got moved to the Lore Discussion by the mods (since if it would have been there for too long, people would have probably shown that there is quite a big chunk of the playerbase interested in good lore, something which the lore team would see as 'toxic responses' to their oh, so great, lore and lore revisions).

themaddscientist

02-03-2013

It could be something great, but now with what they're doing with it. I do some story writing on my spare time and see all the potential that the story has to offer, but it's just going to waste right now.

Darklightning

02-05-2013

I'm sure this thread has left the notice of Riot... but here is my two cents:

Unless I absolutely love the champion or something about him catches my fancy I don't bother to look up Lore.

That said, a well designed champion who has that Lore behind him is solid. I appreciate everything that Diana is because of that background.

Also, I like interactions between champions like Kha-Zix and Rengar in normal games. More of that would be a good thing.

wasdcake

02-17-2013

next champion should have a lore competition. llike a week or two before release they should tell the idea and things like that...
then the people make lore

OriginalA

02-17-2013

I would love for Champions to have more personal in-game interaction with each other. Vi calling Caitlyn "Cupcake" and the Alters in Twisted Treeline talking to the Shadow Isle Champions are examples that I would like to see more often. That said, cutting out the Bio section entirely... Absolutely not.

For the past week now I've been reading Dota 2 Hero Bios. They are terrible. Their most recent Hero's entire Bio consists of "He was in a big bar fight. He won. When everyone got up for round two they dared him to go fight in the war". His entire Bio can be summed up as the last two sentences from Gragas' own Bio; he walks into a bar, fights, gets recognized as an awesome fight, goes to join the big fight scene that is the game's setting.

Another thing is that the Champion Bios are one of the few things that are keeping the narrative of Runeterra moving. A Noxian Assassin just tried to kill King Jarvin III in Quinn's bio. The fact that he failed is of little importance to my point; the fact that the event happened at all and that we learned about it in her bio is important though. Yes, IronStylus's "Demacia Needs Heroes" topic which covered the same event in considerably more detail was better at conveying the weight of the event that it happened, which is a good thing and I would like to see again, but those kinds of topics are not currently common place.

If the bio was removed, and there was no sneak peak topic like "Demacia Needs Heroes", then there would be no narrative movement to the world of Runeterra. And, to be quite frank, after reading 2/3rds of the Dota 2 Lore and reading the JoJ as well as a number of LoL Lore videos made by TeamTargran, it is quite obvious to me that there is a substantial difference in the story telling between the two games. Dota 2 has better character interaction in-game. I would like to see the same kind of interaction between the LoL Champions in-game. But outside of the matches, Dota 2 is a static world. Runeterra has had a ton of events that shaped it that are told to us through the bios.

Even if you just take the Bios alone, forget the Judgements, the JoJ, the AMA threads, and anything else, you can still get a look at not only the bare basics of the Champion's attitude, but also a bit of the culture of where they are from. Since Runeterra is such a small world there is a lot of overlap since many champions will end up coming from the same place. Once you cross reference the champion's lore you can get a better idea of what the general area of the world is like there and there by get a better understanding of everyone who comes from there. The lack of this is one of the reasons Nami's Bio was slammed so hard. She just pops up out of nowhere, from a place that is completely removed from everything else, and the only thing that makes her relevant in terms of Lore-wise is a tangent line that means that her people occasionally interact with the Lunari... that is the only connection she has with the rest of the world outside of the fact that she fights on the Fields of Justice. Fizz would be just as bad except for the fact that he immigrated into Bilgewater and has adopted that culture for himself thereby getting common ground with the other Bilgewater Champions and by extension Runeterra as a whole.

If you take out the Bios you lose not only a major asset in telling who the Champion is, but you also cutting off a method of world building.

@Everyone saying Riot doesn't care about the Lore: Go read Dota 2 Lore. Almost every single Hero bio reads like Nami's lore. THAT is what not caring about the Lore is like. Riot puts more than a token effort into the Lore and it shows. I can agree with wanting more, but I will not say that they don't care at all.

Sorry everyone. I didn't want to rant, although I usually do, and this was something that I wanted to say for a while now.