Remove the score system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpEcImEn128

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2013

Please remove the score system, it makes player do bad decisions to increase their score.
2 playing caping the same points is almost always a waste when the other one could go assist his team eswhere or stall the enemy. You get horrible players who cap when they are not supposed to get the highest score when the good ones are the lowest because they know there is better stuff to do.

A Slime Appears

01-08-2013

You know, I really think people do it because it seems to cap the tower faster. Or they don't know better. I really doubt there is a legion of players out there going "herpderp need a higher score". They exist, mind you, I just don't feel score is the reason most people do it. Also, it could be gold. Every person who is around it when it neutrals/capped gets gold.

naotasan

01-08-2013

I thought of ways to improve the score system.
My newest idea would be that you get points based on how long you have been capturing (ie: like +3 points per 2 seconds capping) and then the entire team gets +10 points for a successful capture.
Additionally, the rewarded gold for capturing a point should be a bigger "aoe" so people zoning out other champions could also get the capture assist. They're assisting in the capture by slowing down enemies from stopping your allies from capturing.

Those are just two things I had in mind recently. I have had many more ideas on this subject. - such as dying in a 1v4 on an enemy point would reduce your score instead of reward you with +40 points.

So far every thread I have made to improve anything about League, be it minor changes to a GUI interface, to entirely reworking a system currently in place, has been "over looked" or not commented on by Rioters, which has actually made me not want to post my ideas.

bierfaust

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Slime Appears View Post
I really doubt there is a legion of players out there going "herpderp need a higher score".
You would be surprised.
Don't under-estimate the power of SR tards in DOM.

There seems to be 2 camps. Those that want a higher score (from any source) and those that want a good KDR. In either case they are idiots, but it tends to ruin the game for the rest of us.

Yes the score system should be completely removed, or at the very least remove K/D/A from the score screen and then remove points gained from kills/assists.

Putting an arbitrary score system into a game that has no ranked mode so it is primarily dominated by solo queue players was a stupid idea. The amount of times I've seen people try and defend their terrible performance using the "but I have a higher score than you" card really makes me pity the future of this game mode.

Phourc

01-08-2013

Unfortunately, the score system 'helps' a certain demographic learn to play the dominion. Don't bother looking for them, though - if they post on the dominion forum, they're certainly not part of the demographic xP

BeefJerkyHunter

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Slime Appears View Post
Also, it could be gold. Every person who is around it when it neutrals/capped gets gold.
I do it specifically for the gold.

NamKim

01-08-2013

I am a supporter of the "just get rid of scoring." To those of you who say "the scoring system helps people 'learn' to play, I have an alternate suggestion. Get rid of scoring, convince Riot to make a Dominion tutorial. Besides, I didn't learn how to play Dom from the client. I wanted to become good and you become good by looking up the best players and see what they have to say. That's how I learned to play SR. League of Legends didn't tell me the meta, more experienced players did.

Besides, I will always think there somewhere deep in your head, you do care a little about scoring. We enjoy feeling like we did good, so even if it's fake, we still want the compliment. It's just a matter of how well we can overcome our desire for a fake compliment with the true one of winning the game.

Besides, there will always be people who will try to abuse the scoring system so they end up on top. If KDA was the scoring system, people would kill steal just to get a higher score. In fact, they would ignore points just to chase people down to kill people.

I think any time spent on fixing the current scoring system is time wasted that could have been done fixing something else.

Edit: To further support the idea that we enjoy false compliments, how many of us actually kind of like it when we get a lot of +1? I personally love getting them and slightly feel bad when I get a -1. I know +/-1's are pointless, but I still like getting them. Just like a person will like getting 1st place, even on the losing team.

Eyemite

01-08-2013

This post has nothing to do with score imo it has to do with an people making bad decisions. Maybe I just have a heart of gold but I have never thought to myself "hey i'm going to cap this point and let my team die to raise my score".

I will admit that I have seen this behavior before when it comes to cap or fight, but I would think it has more to do with a misconception on how to play the game rather than score being involved.

With that said I would agree that score doesn't mean anything, however its removal probably wouldn't stop people from doing things that don't benefit the team. By all means remove it though who knows.

KaWraith

01-08-2013

i think its for newbies so they don't forget to cap... but I think changing the gold to be a teamwide aura would be a better solution.
the score system is pretty worthless, but it's better than nothing, and it helps negate the KDA people a little.

Swampmajikk

01-09-2013

They could just change the score to involve the only thing that matters which people seem to not understand...
capturing turrets.

lets all fight near the storm sheilds and let teemo or evelynn take all our points. herp a derp indeed...