Low AP mages--who, and how?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DoransTroll

10-18-2010

I know this is not going to make sense to most people, but I'm wondering if there are any mages who can be played for their utility/etc and be built with low AP. I'm not looking for a ranked game build--just a niche build that won't be too horrid, but focus on the lulz factor.

For example, Ez could be built as AD (or at least he used to be viable that way..I never played him, so I can't say much about that). I have also heard of low AP ryze once (basically only get Mejai, but no other item that emphasize AP. I think the build uses Overload which scales off of mana, and Desperate Power for AP source). Fiddle, I heard, can also be played as low AP (with emphasis on MPen instead).

I'm especially interested in Ryze, and possibly being a pusher/AoE maniac, possibly built for jungling. Any ideas what can be done?

Nikunikudonburi

10-18-2010

Heimerdinger.

All you need are your turrets.

who8mahrice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2010

Nunu serves as a great secondary mage, especially one good for chasing - great ratios on his ice blast and ult.

Amumu can be built as a mage too if he's not the main tank. Abysmal is a great mage item for him. Mejai's should net easy stacks on assists since he can take a slight beating without tank items.

Morgana could be played more support than nuker.

M4nTiCoR3

10-18-2010

Vladimir can focus on health items and still be somewhat effective. Health grants him some AP, and lots of durabililty. With enough health, his pool also becomes a viable offensive AoE spell during team fights that can easliy drain for 1k damage with his ult activated prior. Possible items include...

Warmog's
Sunfire Cape
Spirit Visage
Innovating Locket
Aegis of Legion
Force of Nature
Banshee's Veil
Soul Shroud
Ryali Scepter

Intresting build...lacks the closing punch a more AP oriented build brings, but can roll in with 4k HP and a **** load of HP regen, dragging fights out long enough to win. The offensive use of pool can also catch people off gaurd at first, and when paired with some magic pen and a sunfire cap its scary bad.

Gimmick, but fun none the less.

Goldoak

10-18-2010

Well there's the magic penetration focus characters like Fiddlesticks and Kennen. They're clearly casters, but have pretty mediocre to terrible AP ratios, so it makes the most sense to focus on getting enough magic penetration that those skills hit for the huge base damages they have. Particularly their ults in the above two cases.

Sancreed Broda

10-18-2010

Morde (build mpen and survival/CDR over AP, his ratios suck)
Other champs with good spells who's ratios suck.

Dimensionist

10-18-2010

I've seen some pretty decent tankish kassadin builds. Still want to get some AP but more tank/cdr focused seems alright.

M4nTiCoR3

10-18-2010

Just read the latest patch notes for tomorrows relesase of Lady lux...and the Warmog's remake is gonna make HP Vlad a very happy fellow.

Fluffy1

10-18-2010

morgana is a prime candidate for low ap build. regardless of build her damage is unreliable and easily countered, she fills a tank or support role far more effectively than a glass cannon role. i rarely get more than 150 AP with my morg. its all i need.

Arisulane

10-18-2010

You're mostly interested in Ryze? Try tank Ryze:

Arcangel's Staff
Frozen Heart
Boots

Get 9/0/21 on Masteries with all cooldown upgrades and fill up rune pages with either flat Mana or Mana-per-level.

Gear progression is something like:

1. Sapphire > Tear
2. Boots > Upgrade Boots
3. > Arcangel's
4. Frozen Heart

Skill progression is something like:

Q
W
E
W
W
R