Thresh the Chain Warden. Hecarim the Shadow of War

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MugenNightmare

01-07-2013

Any ties? connections?

I'm going with brothers at the very least.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Thresh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBqRU...ature=youtu.be

Hecarim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DVGJm-u6To

Helmight

01-07-2013

After seeing Thresh, I have to say that both he and Hecarim and Mordekaiser are all going along with the same theme. They're all somewhat spectral beings with armor-like appearances (in Morde's case, made of armor) and hail from the Shadow Isles. A few people were saying that Mordekaiser and Hecarim are two of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, but I don't know where Thresh would fit in with that - we've already got a Pestilence.

Concerning your original question, we can't really tell from Thresh's lore. He seems to be completely separate from Mordekaiser and Hecarim because he doesn't have any motives beyond absorbing strong souls and tormenting people. That being said though, they all may have attained their undeath by the same means - at the very least they appear similar. So there may be more there than meets the eye.

MugenNightmare

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmight View Post
After seeing Thresh, I have to say that both he and Hecarim and Mordekaiser are all going along with the same theme. They're all somewhat spectral beings with armor-like appearances (in Morde's case, made of armor) and hail from the Shadow Isles. A few people were saying that Mordekaiser and Hecarim are two of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, but I don't know where Thresh would fit in with that - we've already got a Pestilence.

Concerning your original question, we can't really tell from Thresh's lore. He seems to be completely separate from Mordekaiser and Hecarim because he doesn't have any motives beyond absorbing strong souls and tormenting people. That being said though, they all may have attained their undeath by the same means - at the very least they appear similar. So there may be more there than meets the eye.

One thing that caught my eye was that "Nursery Rhyme" about Thresh. He lived a life or tormenting others and then died. So this opens up a new route of lore: Did Hecarim and Morde have previous lifes? or just Hec? I mean Karthus did right?

Helmight

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenNightmare View Post
One thing that caught my eye was that "Nursery Rhyme" about Thresh. He lived a life or tormenting others and then died. So this opens up a new route of lore: Did Hecarim and Morde have previous lifes? or just Hec? I mean Karthus did right?
I can almost guarantee that Mordekaiser and Hecarim had previous lives. The altar spirits on Twisted Treeline seem to indicate this with the message "Remember who you are, Mordekaiser/Hecarim". Clearly they were some important being in life who managed to achieve undeath through some means - probably the same means by which Thresh achieved his. Perhaps there is some malevolent spirit on the Isle which is selecting commanders to lead its army - but this is all speculation.

MugenNightmare

01-07-2013

Quote:
I can almost guarantee that Mordekaiser and Hecarim had previous lives. The altar spirits on Twisted Treeline seem to indicate this with the message "Remember who you are, Mordekaiser/Hecarim". Clearly they were some important being in life who managed to achieve undeath through some means - probably the same means by which Thresh achieved his. Perhaps there is some malevolent spirit on the Isle which is selecting commanders to lead its army - but this is all speculation.

Thresh also seems to have the same job as Yorick? Except he collects the souls while Yorick collects the bodies?

Helmight

01-07-2013

Quote:
Thresh also seems to have the same job as Yorick? Except he collects the souls while Yorick collects the bodies?
That's an apt comparison, I guess xD. Yorick THOUGHT he had some kind of job to do - a quote to fulfill - in order to pass on and truly be dead. We're still not sure why exactly he failed to die, but I'm thinking it was because of his eternal shame of not carrying on the Mori family name. Nowadays Yorick doesn't do too much body collection - I think his burial days are behind him now that he fights for the League.

Thresh on the other hand does it for fun. He enjoyed tormenting the minds and bodies of the prisoners he had at his disposal in life, and now that he'd undead he enjoys tormenting the souls of those who've fallen to his chain. It's not that it's his JOB - just his hobby (sick though it is).

MugenNightmare

01-07-2013

Quote:
That's an apt comparison, I guess xD. Yorick THOUGHT he had some kind of job to do - a quote to fulfill - in order to pass on and truly be dead. We're still not sure why exactly he failed to die, but I'm thinking it was because of his eternal shame of not carrying on the Mori family name. Nowadays Yorick doesn't do too much body collection - I think his burial days are behind him now that he fights for the League.

Thresh on the other hand does it for fun. He enjoyed tormenting the minds and bodies of the prisoners he had at his disposal in life, and now that he'd undead he enjoys tormenting the souls of those who've fallen to his chain. It's not that it's his JOB - just his hobby (sick though it is).
True for Thresh, but Yorick has quotes from the altars mocking his shame for not carrying his name and to increase their (Shadow Isles) numbers.

Helmight

01-07-2013

Quote:
True for Thresh, but Yorick has quotes from the altars mocking his shame for not carrying his name and to increase their (Shadow Isles) numbers.
I do remember those now. So perhaps Yorick's resurrection was instrumented by some sort of evil spirit (like the one I mentioned before) so that he could continue to serve the Shadow Isles. I'm honestly not entirely sure what to make of that, especially since I kind of feel like Riot went way overboard with the whole Shadow Isles deal, but I can only take it at face value. Yorick was never mentioned as being forced to work in his lore though, so I'm not sure what the truth of the matter is now. Maybe he still digs at the behest of the spirits of the Isles, maybe he doesn't. It's up to interpretation.

HerbaNoctis

01-08-2013

I think we might see some Fiddlesticks lore development soon. I don't think making them so visually similar (crotch keys, scythe, skeletal appearance) was any sort of coincidence.

MugenNightmare

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbaNoctis View Post
I think we might see some Fiddlesticks lore development soon. I don't think making them so visually similar (crotch keys, scythe, skeletal appearance) was any sort of coincidence.
Hes a being from a different dimension from a summoning gone wrong I believe.

That spirit possessed a scarecrow or it came like that.

The dimension might have been the shadow isles I suppose?