Is Kog Maw worth getting?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Indescribled

01-07-2013

Can he compete with popular carries? I'm a few games from 4,800 IP and wondering if I should get him, or save for a 6,300 adc. None of the other 4,800 carries interest me much.

paintolar

01-07-2013

I got him this week, and after a bit of practice, hes becoming my favorite adc that i have...

Ive only been playing a month so take that with a grain of salt.

Paintolar

Edit: from what i understand he has a great late game, and his W is great for finishing off fleeing enemies

Oshiet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintolar View Post
from what i understand he has a great late game, and his W is great for finishing off fleeing enemies
This. Give Kog a standard adc build (BT, IE, PD) and he can do some serious damage. Armor pen also works well against tankier champs.

Also, his range... His W and R have such a long distance it's hard to run away from a decently built Kog. However, you need to time his W and not waste his R just because he'll become mana hungry.

Bad thing is that he NEEDS farm and doesn't do as much damage early game (best way to win lane besides controlling cs is to poke with W/E/R and then go in for a fight). That, and he needs a babysitting support - one with CC and or heals.

Other than that, he's a fun and cute champ to play. There's a lot of potential with Kog!

Indescribled

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiet View Post
This. Give Kog a standard adc build (BT, IE, PD) and he can do some serious damage. Armor pen also works well against tankier champs.

Also, his range... His W and R have such a long distance it's hard to run away from a decently built Kog. However, you need to time his W and not waste his R just because he'll become mana hungry.

Bad thing is that he NEEDS farm and doesn't do as much damage early game (best way to win lane besides controlling cs is to poke with W/E/R and then go in for a fight). That, and he needs a babysitting support - one with CC and or heals.

Other than that, he's a fun and cute champ to play. There's a lot of potential with Kog!
Alright, thanks. Just making sure I wasn't going to buy a champ that couldn't compete with the other carries out there. Picking him up today then.

xMrSmilesx

Recruiter

01-07-2013

Kog is a great champion to own and use.

The weaknesses are that he has no dash/blink to escape incoming ganks, so map awareness is a MUST.
Also Kog works best with a cc/sustain support and best on a 'Protect the Kog' team. You must get farm in the early/mid game to make Koggy shine late game.
Mana management is a must, spamming R makes the mana pool empty fast.

The best part about Kog is that late game he becomes a hyper-carry capable of destroying everything from a mile away.
Suicide passive is also great to finish off those enemies who got close enough to you to kill you. It even has gotten me a Quadra by blowing up on the enemy who were grouped up in a cluster.

Once you master positioning with Kog, all of you other AD carry champs will do much better since most of them have the blinks/dashes to move themselves.

Hope this helps

TeknoWizard

01-07-2013

Amazing for coordinated teams.

Really random in solo queue. He need a ton of farm, and solid protection to work. And honestly, when in solo queue does your team let the AD just farm for 20-30 minutes, then protect them late game?

Voyles

01-07-2013

Focus on Attack Speed with Kog. Get Runaan's Hurricane as soon as you can. Once he gets that, he can clear lanes pretty fast.

Definitely works well with other champs that have CC. Can also work well with other ADCs on Bot. I find Kog works extremely well with Miss Fortune.

I still disagree with other people that Kog doesn't do much damage early game. I'm not sure what their Masteries or Runes are. I have been known to get First Blood with Kog against champs like Garen even before minions have spawned. He might not do as much damage as Draven but I guarantee he does more than Tristana. In my experience, Kog does just as much damage as Graves early game. Each Champ is different and players are going to play them all different.

Kog is still somewhat squishy at all stages of the game. So, always keep you distance. Guardian Angel is also a good item for him. Enemy isn't sure to stay or run away from Icathian Surprise.

Kog is my favorite Champ to play. He might not be the easiest to master out of the ADCs but definitely one of the funner ones to play.

Armstice

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighJew View Post
Focus on Attack Speed with Kog. Get Runaan's Hurricane as soon as you can. Once he gets that, he can clear lanes pretty fast.

Definitely works well with other champs that have CC. Can also work well with other ADCs on Bot. I find Kog works extremely well with Miss Fortune.

I still disagree with other people that Kog doesn't do much damage early game. I'm not sure what their Masteries or Runes are. I have been known to get First Blood with Kog against champs like Garen even before minions have spawned. He might not do as much damage as Draven but I guarantee he does more than Tristana. In my experience, Kog does just as much damage as Graves early game. Each Champ is different and players are going to play them all different.

Kog is still somewhat squishy at all stages of the game. So, always keep you distance. Guardian Angel is also a good item for him. Enemy isn't sure to stay or run away from Icathian Surprise.

Kog is my favorite Champ to play. He might not be the easiest to master out of the ADCs but definitely one of the funner ones to play.
Graves can 50% nuke a champ at level 1 with a point blank buckshot. Kog can not even remotely compete with that kind of high powered burst early game.

Voyles

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armstice View Post
Graves can 50% nuke a champ at level 1 with a point blank buckshot. Kog can not even remotely compete with that kind of high powered burst early game.
Graves at level 1, Buckshot does 60 + .08 per bonus attack damage with a max of 109 if hit by multiple projectiles. You telling me that will take any champ down to 50%?

Kog's Caustic Spittle and Void Ooze both do 60 + 70% AP damage. Seems like an even comparison damage to me at Level 1.

Next time you try to argue your point, please back it up with some info or statistics. There's no way Graves can nuke a champ to 50% at level 1.

Nearly

01-07-2013

I bought him yesterday & hated his playstyle, his range sucks so bad without his W, his movement speed is like the slowest of all ADC's & it's way harder to position yourself. This is why ezreal is the best ADC & is probably going to bring you a win if not counter picked, he can reposition himself, provide Excellent poke & has an attack speed buff

oh & BTW, I disliked him so much that I used my last refund credit on him.