@Praeco and the music team: How can I get involved?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrohannesJahms

01-07-2013

Wall of text ahead, but I would be happy if you’d give it a read and leave a comment, Rioter or not. This might also be the wrong subforum, but I don’t know where else it should go.

I’ll start with a short story for a bit of context.

Three years ago I was a freshman with zero doubt that the pre-med track was for me. I busted my butt in classes for a year and a half of unsatisfying returns but my heart just wasn’t in it. It was at about that time that I started playing League of Legends. Some friends introduced me to the game in March of 2011, just before the release of Lee Sin.

Before then, I hadn’t really been playing video games much because of school. I had been an avid gamer all through middle school and high school, but when your mind is set on pre-med there’s really not much time for that anymore. In April of that year, I nearly broke down. I was so miserable with the life I saw in front of me and just wanted to scream. Thankfully, two of the greatest mentors of my life were there to help me through that time.

My parents are some of the most amazing people I know. My mom said, “If you don’t want to do pre-med, then for God’s sake do what you love instead, BrohannesJahms!” It was the push I needed to say the hardest thing I have ever said. I told them I wanted to write music for video games. They didn’t protest or try to dissuade me. They told me I had to make this happen if it’s what I really want.

So where is this all going? For my whole life there have been two things that I care about more than anything else. I am crazy passionate about video games, music, and the profound effect that the former has on the overall experience of the latter. I devour the scores of games I love to build my skill as a composer. I have stacks of music by Brahms, Debussy, Stravinsky, and Beethoven which are marked up with notes on interesting figures or harmonies that I want to play with in my own video game compositions. My desktop is littered with small pieces that I have composed, arranged, and orchestrated with my limited knowledge. I’m even going to write my senior thesis on the history of video game music. Nothing gives me as much pleasure as thinking about how music enhances the gaming experience except for writing that music myself.

More than anything in the world, I want to write music for games. When I started playing League of Legends, I quickly fell in love with it. Now, I am determined to become a part of the team that makes this game what it is. So, Praeco and friends (sorry, I don’t know who all you awesome people in the art/sound department are!), if you feel like obliging a diehard fan with a dream, I would kill for a chance to chat with you guys about your jobs. What kinds of game elements demand new music? How do you approach the task of composition for different music assets? What tools do you use to make that music?

Most importantly, I want to know what you look for in a composer in terms of skills and background, mentality, and anything else that makes a candidate attractive to your department. Outside of my music theory studies and a background as a classical singer, I’m entirely self trained, so I am eager to hear advice from industry veterans on the best ways to become a valuable asset to a game development team. Tomorrow’s my birthday and the best present I could ask for would be a chance to have a talk with any one (or more) of you.

Thank you for helping to make this game as amazing as it is, and thank you for reading my humble request.

Here's a piece I'm currently working on: https://soundcloud.com/eric-goldman/anchored-to-nothing