Straight from the PBE: Thresh, the Chain Warden

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phreak IRL

01-08-2013

Skarner + Thresh is the new OP tactic.

Ult then grab lantern over a wall. Trololo...

Skeleton Dancer

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemRijou View Post
Why, why would you add another blitzcrank Riot? Did we really need another ranked/draft permabanned champion?
Put enough in and eventually you'll run out of bans, allowing the fun champs to actually be played.

Cherubael

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriphor View Post
The age of a mechanic has no relevance to what it represents. Phage, mercurial scimitar, tiamat, hurricane, ghostblade, pickpocket and probably a couple other that I'm forgetting all define how the game defines who is ranged and who is melee. The concept of missile speed has NEVER defined the difference between melee and ranged. I was letting this pass because there are far more mechanics that are more important to being melee than missile speed.

If missile speed defined ranged, then Ryze's Rune Prison would be melee. Nidalee and Caitlyn's traps would be melee. Kat's Shumpo would be melee. The logical application to such a definition to other aspects of the game leads to absurd conclusions.

The actual definition of ranged vs melee is whether you have to be next to someone to use it. Thus, a melee attacker must be next to their target, and a melee spell must have the spellcaster next to their target. If you can use it while not next to your target, it is ranged.

However, because the game assigns other traits to melee characters, such as phage being more powerful, pickpocket being more gold, and tiamat proccing, it is possible for a character to be both melee and ranged. If a character activates items and abilities reserved for melee characters, but can attack from afar, then that character can be called both melee and ranged. If, on the other hand, a character activates all items and abilities as a ranged character, and has a ranged attack, they are a ranged character. Calling them melee because their attack has no missile speed is erroneous.
All of the other things you mentioned were spells. I referring to auto attacks only. Did you know that Phage and the other older items like it that differ between melee and ranged work on Kayle while using her E still treat her has melee even though she has range. I'm almost willing to bet money this is true of Thresh as well.

The game itself seems to flag melee and ranged champs by if its AA has a missile or is instant damage. Considering it is 100% consistent across the board that those with instant damage are melee and those with a missile are ranged.

Auto attack damage method 100% consistent.

Item proc method not 100% consistent.

I feel confident in whichever method is more consistent.

Edit: Bah I'm just outdated. Feel free to ignore my babble.

Devanstator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2013

Wow, this guy sounds amazing. Hybrid damage, three reposition abilities (including the first-ever ally reposition), an AOE shield, and a placeable slowing/damaging wall.
I'm guessing he'll be a viable AP mid, Hybrid top, support, and potential jungler. Pro teams will be all over this because of the potential new playmaking capabilities. Very exciting!

Dash Sendai

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanstator View Post
Wow, this guy sounds amazing. Hybrid damage, three reposition abilities (including the first-ever ally reposition), an AOE shield, and a placeable slowing/damaging wall.
I'm guessing he'll be a viable AP mid, Hybrid top, support, and potential jungler. Pro teams will be all over this because of the potential new playmaking capabilities. Very exciting!
He'll be a ****ty AP mid

ViashinoWizard

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Swarm of Koala View Post
EDIT: you may also want to mention that you can pick up souls with your lantern, instead of having to walk over them.
I did not know that, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsario View Post
Can you use your own lantern to jump over walls?
No, Thresh can't do anything to his lantern once it's thrown. You can pull allies over walls, though.