Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Straight from the PBE: Thresh, the Chain Warden

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Geist1337

01-08-2013

I've gotten a thresh game uploading as I type this out where I play him as an AP mid even with the full knowledge of him being a support, youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/GeistGaming if anyone is interested (it'll be up once internet connection is done screwing up)

A Swarm of Koala

01-08-2013

I wonder if AD + Sword of the divine would be an effective trollbuild.

EDIT: you may also want to mention that you can pick up souls with your lantern, instead of having to walk over them.

Zeriphor

01-08-2013

Quote:
Cherubael:
He is saying the client labels him as melee. The projectile thing is an important difference. Projectiles don't deal damage until it moves from the person to the target meaning there is a delay in the damage from animation to contact. Melee attacks damage happen practically instantly.

Thresh it seems operates as if he is melee even though the target is further away.
Much like when Kayle activates her abolity.

I don't think we should perpetuate the client's error if that's the only thing that makes him "melee". The game has a very clear definition of melee in its items like tiamat and phage, and abilities like pickpocket. Not to mention being ranged is obviously NOT melee.

This is all assuming though, that the previous poster that said the game treats effects like hurricane and phage as a ranged attack. I take back what I say if game effects treat him as melee, but he has a ranged attack.

Cherubael

01-08-2013

Quote:
Zeriphor:
I don't think we should perpetuate the client's error if that's the only thing that makes him "melee". The game has a very clear definition of melee in its items like tiamat and phage, and abilities like pickpocket. Not to mention being ranged is obviously NOT melee.

This is all assuming though, that the previous poster that said the game treats effects like hurricane and phage as a ranged attack. I take back what I say if game effects treat him as melee, but he has a ranged attack.

His attack is melee in mechanics though items not withstanding, Kayles ability is melee as well. with range

DaemRijou

Recruiter

01-08-2013

Why, why would you add another blitzcrank Riot? Did we really need another ranked/draft permabanned champion?

Vyle8

01-08-2013

Draven's dance is a 2 beat weave, where Thresh's dance is a forward 3 beat weave with a low turn into a reverse 3 beat weave working its way into a windmill and transitioning back into a forward 3 beat weave.

Much cooler than Draven's. The animation team did a spot on job of moving the hands where they needed to be for the moves, so I'm suspecting they referenced a few Poi spinners to do it.

Zeriphor

01-08-2013

Quote:
Cherubael:
His attack is melee in mechanics though items not withstanding, Kayles ability is melee as well. with range

What mechanics? If all items treat him as ranged, pickpocket treats him as ranged, and he attacks from ranged, how is he not ranged? No travel speed is not enough when compared to literally every other mechanic in the game that differentiates melee and ranged.

If it looks like a duck...

Cherubael

01-08-2013

Quote:
Zeriphor:
What mechanics? If all items treat him as ranged, pickpocket treats him as ranged, and he attacks from ranged, how is he not ranged? No travel speed is not enough when compared to literally every other mechanic in the game that differentiates melee and ranged.

If it looks like a duck...

By every other, you mean the other 2? The new items and the new mastery. Both brand new mechanics. I speak of the other one that has defined melee and ranged forever.

Zeriphor

01-08-2013

Quote:
Cherubael:
By every other, you mean the other 2? The new items and the new mastery. Both brand new mechanics. I speak of the other one that has defined melee and ranged forever.

The age of a mechanic has no relevance to what it represents. Phage, mercurial scimitar, tiamat, hurricane, ghostblade, pickpocket and probably a couple other that I'm forgetting all define how the game defines who is ranged and who is melee. The concept of missile speed has NEVER defined the difference between melee and ranged. I was letting this pass because there are far more mechanics that are more important to being melee than missile speed.

If missile speed defined ranged, then Ryze's Rune Prison would be melee. Nidalee and Caitlyn's traps would be melee. Kat's Shumpo would be melee. The logical application to such a definition to other aspects of the game leads to absurd conclusions.

The actual definition of ranged vs melee is whether you have to be next to someone to use it. Thus, a melee attacker must be next to their target, and a melee spell must have the spellcaster next to their target. If you can use it while not next to your target, it is ranged.

However, because the game assigns other traits to melee characters, such as phage being more powerful, pickpocket being more gold, and tiamat proccing, it is possible for a character to be both melee and ranged. If a character activates items and abilities reserved for melee characters, but can attack from afar, then that character can be called both melee and ranged. If, on the other hand, a character activates all items and abilities as a ranged character, and has a ranged attack, they are a ranged character. Calling them melee because their attack has no missile speed is erroneous.

Qsario

01-08-2013

I read somewhere that the souls max out at 255 due to limitations on buff stacking (rather than an intentional design decision).

Can you use your own lantern to jump over walls?