Theory: Thresh's Box

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karhs

01-07-2013

So, the new champion on the PBE, Thresh the Chain Warden, has an ultimate ability called The Box. For anyone who doesn't already know, this ability makes a pentagon of short walls of light around Thresh, and any enemy that touches a wall will be damaged and severely slowed while destroying that wall.

In Thresh's lore, it's stated that there are rumors that Thresh was once a sadistic jail warden who enjoyed psychologically torturing the inmates. For example, he uses chains because they're noisy, meaning that the inmates will know when he's coming and be afraid. Anyways, my theory is that The Box is based on something he used to do to the inmates back when he was alive.

He would carefully, slowly, draw a chalk pentagon around an inmate. He would then open the cell door, unshackle the inmate, gesture towards the door and say "Escape the Box, and you can go free." Whenever the prisoner tried to cross the chalk line, he would be struck with a chain, or perhaps the chalk was enchanted so as to shock people who tried to cross it. Either way, a great deal of pain would be inflicted and the prisoner would be knocked back into the Box. Then, Thresh would erase just a little bit of that side of the pentagon. The prisoner would see this, and be filled with hope, and try to whittle down the line between them and freedom. If the prisoner fell unconscious, the Box would be removed and the door would be locked again, perhaps never to be opened.

No one has ever successfully escaped from The Box.

TL;DR I think the new champion was sadistic and crazy and that's what his lore says he is so yeah. Also I feel like this got almost fanfiction-ey so if I should put it in that section then please tell me.

Comments, Ideas, Etc. are welcome.

Lajinn5

01-07-2013

Explanation here, its a reference to a form of torture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_(torture)

Karhs

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lajinn5 View Post
Explanation here, its a reference to a form of torture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_(torture)
While I wouldn't doubt that that's the origin of the name, this thread is about a hypothetical in-lore origin for both the ability's name and function.

Lajinn5

01-09-2013

oh xP well yeah, I like your thoughts then, and he does seem like the sadistic type ._.

Ankoku no Hime

01-12-2013

:O, Zed's box? or maybe Zed freed him?

Garthul

01-12-2013

Warning: Graphic Content
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkx3pd5ULJs
Clip is edited I believe, but still disturbing. It's the first thing that came to mind when I saw that Thresh's ult was named 'The Box'.
If you don't want to watch, it's a clip from the movie Hellraiser where this guy buys a Lemarchand's box, a fictional, ancient puzzle box, and when he solves it he is swarmed and torn apart by hooks and chains from another dimension.