[Guide] Veigar, the Tiny Master of Evil

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CleverUserName

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2010

B4 this guide i sucked after this guide i trained as vieger and even though im still not good as other people i always get at least 3 kills and most of the time at least 1 of those kills is ending another persons killing spree thnx (P.S. did anyone else get the Veiger curling skin?

Vukasa

03-01-2010

Different Veigars,
From what ive seen there are two ways to play veigar and have success. The one youll get through my guide is maxing out his burst early and snowballing into an effective powerhouse lategame. At the start you have to decided which move your more comfortable with. Either targeting Baleful Strike or Dark Matter. Never ignore two levels of Baleful for farming AP. Once you have 1 level of Event Horizon you can land Dark Matters 100% of the time with practice. To max burst potential Dark Matter is the more important skill to level.
Baleful strike=[B] Dark Matter= [D] Primordial= [P] (this is at lvl 6)

[B3] 170 + [P1] 200 = 370 base dmg
[B3] 170 + [D1] 120 + [P1] 200 = 490 base dmg

Now if you were to take that point outa Baleful and put it into DM
[B2] 125 + [D2] 180 + [P1] 200 = 505 base dmg (a 15 dmg increase)

From this level if you were to decide begin leveling Dark Matter over Baleful the base damage combo would continue to 565, 625, 685. Whereas if you were to level baleful over Dark Matter the combo would be 525, 595, 640. Thats a 45 dmg loss.

Now at this point your probably thinking why bother lvling Dark Matter since it requires more effort to land. The answer lies in two areas.

• The first being AP Ratio, and the second being ease of use. The AP ratio for DM is 1:1 and Baleful 1:.8 which means that with just 40 AP the DM will recieve 8 more dmg than Baleful, and with 100 thats 20 more dmg. It takes decent timing to pull off perfect DMs consecutively so I recommend using it as your initiator. If you were to have leveled Baleful then at 9 Dark Matter would only do a negligable 180 base and you probably skip the set up for casting it all together (esp since you have to give up ur only escape mekanism and your in Baleful's smaller range, and the extra mana required to land the 180 dmg), which would lose you the benificial AP ratio that comes with it.
  • Efficiency is key for higher elo brackets and Dark Matter far more benefits speedy and safe farming. This will allow you to afford important items and AP sooner than if you were to wait 6-4 seconds for each minion kill, and you wont have to move dangerously close to do it. You can do all this while actually gaining a killing power it just requires alot of mana regen, that can be attained through Masteries, Runes, and Chalice of Harmony. Of course dont forget to use Baleful on melee minions once you can 1 shot the ranged to recieve the AP gain. Pro Tip:Remember to control the ebb and flow of the lane. If your opponents are hard pushers then take the ranged out early so that the lane wont over take your tower. If they are more passive just keep using baleful and let their minions wear yours down.
@Cleverusername im glad my guide was able to help ya out. Of course i got the Curling Veigar! Hes got freaking LE[GG]S!

BDod6

03-01-2010

Hey Vukusa, I'm interested in seeing what you think about my guide. I wrote a fairly short guide on my playing style with Veigar. If you'd like to check it out and post some thoughts, I'd very much appreciate it, especially since my play style is significantly different than yours:

https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ad.php?t=68053

Tyr4el

04-25-2010

I'm interested in trying out a caster/mage, and I bought Veigar the other day simply cuz the little guy looked pretty fun to use. I tried playing a practice match against bots as Veigar...and LOST. Idk how humiliating that is, but I think that definitely labels me as a n00b. When I used Veigar's E spell, it didn't seem to do anything. Sometimes it worked, and others it didn't. Stun = can't move or attack, right? If that's right then something was wrong because I could still be attacked, AND they could move. If anyone could help me with tactics for Veigar, it would be appreciated.

Kriptini

04-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr4el View Post
I'm interested in trying out a caster/mage, and I bought Veigar the other day simply cuz the little guy looked pretty fun to use. I tried playing a practice match against bots as Veigar...and LOST. Idk how humiliating that is, but I think that definitely labels me as a n00b. When I used Veigar's E spell, it didn't seem to do anything. Sometimes it worked, and others it didn't. Stun = can't move or attack, right? If that's right then something was wrong because I could still be attacked, AND they could move. If anyone could help me with tactics for Veigar, it would be appreciated.
Only the outer ring of Event Horizon stuns. So when you cast it, you want to aim it so that the enemy lands directly on the outer ring, not in the center.

It's actually fairly common to lose practice games with Veigar, as he has probably the worst early game out of all the champions in League of Legends.

That being said, he's pretty much the most useful caster during endgame.

Tyr4el

04-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriptini View Post
Only the outer ring of Event Horizon stuns. So when you cast it, you want to aim it so that the enemy lands directly on the outer ring, not in the center.

It's actually fairly common to lose practice games with Veigar, as he has probably the worst early game out of all the champions in League of Legends.

That being said, he's pretty much the most useful caster during endgame.
OH! So it's only the outer ring, got it. I'll have to practice that then.

Zyvexal

06-06-2010

I'm an avid Veigar player, and I'll just comment on the following things:

First of all, Veigar is NOT a laning champion, all discussions on how to best lane with Veigar is useless, you're going to lose the lane no matter what you do, so don't even try. The best thing to do early game is to just towerhug, if you are laning mid, your tower WILL get severely damaged or taken out, the only thing I WILL suggest you do to delay this is to get teleport as one of your summoner spells. I hate flash with a passion that is almost holy, so I suggest getting cleanse instead. Cleanse + event horizon will get you out of most troublesome spots, provided that you're being careful. Cleanse has been even better lately even though it got nerfed in the last patch, because everyone is using Malzahar, and his ult is entirely useless against you if you cleanse it off. If you're laning with a partner, you'll likely be pushed back but your tower won't be in too much danger.

Secondly, I agree with the skill order, because you really don't need event horizon to be more than lvl 1 in early game, even if you're trying to get lots of kills right off the bat, because if you successfully aim your dark matter before the event horizon, you'll definitely hit, unless they have cleanse, it will hit even if the enemy champion has mercury treads by mid game.

Thirdly, I get a meki pendant with 1 hp pot + 1 mp pot at beginning of the game, because the meki pendant alone just isn't enough to keep up with your extremely high mana demand, and if you tower hug, your hp won't be in too much danger. After laning for a bit, i go back to get an amplifying tome, then if the enemy team is tanky, i build it into a deathfire grasp, if not, i go for the mejai's soulstealer. Most of the time I already have 1-2 kills by the time I get mejai soulstealer. I've only gone for the deathfire grasp first once, and that was vsing 4 tanks and a soraka. After the soulstealer, I get sorcerer's boots, then I finish building the meki pendant into a deathfire, and then just stack Zhonya rings. If the majority of your enemy team is building magic resist items, you might consider getting a void staff, but I've only gotten the void staff twice, and both times they didn't really make a difference. I would definitely get a Zhonya's as the 4th item, regardless.

Lastly, I want to go back to talk about laning with Veigar, there's of course 2 ways you can go about it, mid and non-mid. I used to think that a Veigar should always solo mid, because of his AP bonus per minion kill with Q, and that it would give him greater maneuverability when he wants to gank. When I solo mid with veigar, I tower hug as much as possible, and only harass when I reach level 5, but not to the point where the enemy would want to recall, and when I reach level 6, I recall, teleport back and finish off the weakened enemy, however, when playing against high ELO teams, this rarely works and you'd need someone to help you gank, and if the gank fails, you're basically stuck in that lane, because you're going to get pushed to your tower, and you won't have time to go ganking, and while you're laning, your mejai's soulstealer is just sitting there collecting dust. Even if the gank at lvl 6 works, you still find yourself going back to mid frequently in order to keep the enemy champ off your tower. If you're laning with a partner, you can go off ganking any time, and it is much easier to get kills in your own lane, as well, the only thing you're giving up is slightly less AP (which is offset if you kill a lot of champs with Q/R, because champions give you +5AP instead of +1), and increased XP, which is alright because most likely, you'll be getting more kills. Of course soloing mid with Veigar can be very lucrative if done well, but I find it much much more tiring and dangerous.

So there's my two cents as an experienced Veigar player. In conclusion, Veigar is an extremely powerful mid/late game champion, and it's just very tiring to wade through the early game in order to truly pwn in the late game, but with the proper amount of skill and experience, even the early game won't be that bad.

P.S. To try to convince you that I'm not just a random noob spouting nonsense, my last 7 games with Veigar, I had the stats of 17/6/7, 17/8/16, 12/2/10, 9/1/3, 12/5/11, 12/0/7 and 16/6/9, the 17/8/16 and the 16/6/9 games were losses.

Vukasa

06-25-2010

Not sure what set this guy above me on his tangent, but im just warning ppl that this guide is probably outdated with the new heavy Veigar nerf. His burst has been beaten down with a lead pipe so we'll see if I feel like rehauling this guide sometime. This guide centers around Dark Matter and im not sure if thats an option anymore since it doesnt farm as well and youll lose out on champ kill ap.

A Guy Called AJ

06-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukasa View Post
Not sure what set this guy above me on his tangent, but im just warning ppl that this guide is probably outdated with the new heavy Veigar nerf. His burst has been beaten down with a lead pipe so we'll see if I feel like rehauling this guide sometime. This guide centers around Dark Matter and im not sure if thats an option anymore since it doesnt farm as well and youll lose out on champ kill ap.
No. You won't. Baleful's passive now gives Veigar AP on a champion kill from any source of damage. Dark Matter now falls .5 seconds faster at the cost of its AP ratio. Veigar is now more useful in team fights, and gains AP from champions more easily. The "nerf patch" just means that more Veigar's will have to build DG before Zhonya.

SilentFlare

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2010

Nice Guide