Tips for Swain?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

first time Vayne

01-07-2013

So I just picked up Swain and am finding him to be quite fun. I am no stranger to mid or top lanes and numerous play styles and champs, but I realize that Swain is a very unique champ and would appreciate some pointers on how to play him to his best. I'm looking for everything from fundamentals up to advanced tips and tricks. Where the Swain mains at?

Thanks for the help guys.

Snipawolfe

01-07-2013

Max E first, then Q, then W. Take all three abilities by level 3. You can burst really hard at level 4 if you can land W and E, following up with autoattacks. If you can CS well with autos, you can harass a ton as Swain since you can throw E and an autoattack at the enemy champion at little or no cost to your own mana.

There are a lot of potential builds you can have with Swain. When I play him, I tend to rush a deathcap and not sustain, playing him as a burst mage. If the game goes on long enough, I often have a deathcap, RoA, spell vamp, and either more tanky items or a void staff.

You should build him however you want or however your team needs you. He can be deceptively tanky with his sustain, so long as he has the mana to stay morphed.

Also, a general tip but also really useful for Swain... WARD. Well placed wards can catch enemy champions out and allow you to snare unknowing victims. I've killed junglers with bad sustain at their own wraith camps before because I warded them and saw that the jungler was low. Wards also make teamfighting infinitely easier.

Flazek

01-07-2013

You should wait out the enemy dodge before trying to land your snare. If it's someone like fizz, kat, talon, etc. with good mobility, just make sure they use their dash or flash-step first, and then nail them with the bind.

BRING FLASH

McFace

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipawolfe View Post
Max E first, then Q, then W. Take all three abilities by level 3. You can burst really hard at level 4 if you can land W and E, following up with autoattacks. If you can CS well with autos, you can harass a ton as Swain since you can throw E and an autoattack at the enemy champion at little or no cost to your own mana.

There are a lot of potential builds you can have with Swain. When I play him, I tend to rush a deathcap and not sustain, playing him as a burst mage. If the game goes on long enough, I often have a deathcap, RoA, spell vamp, and either more tanky items or a void staff.
Why max Q before W? I always go R-E-W-Q. Just would like to know your reasoning.

While it's never really a bad idea to rush a deathcap on an ap mid, I would go RoA first and then deathcap. You say you don't play him sustain, but that is what separates him from other ap mids. The early RoA allows you that couple more seconds of your ult that makes you very difficult to kill mid game.

My build starts like this:

Boots
Catalyst the Protector
Rod of Ages
Needlessly Large Rod
Deathcap
Zhonya's Hourglass

After that it's situational.

adc

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFace View Post
Why max Q before W? I always go R-E-W-Q. Just would like to know your reasoning.

While it's never really a bad idea to rush a deathcap on an ap mid, I would go RoA first and then deathcap. You say you don't play him sustain, but that is what separates him from other ap mids. The early RoA allows you that couple more seconds of your ult that makes you very difficult to kill mid game.

My build starts like this:

Boots
Catalyst the Protector
Rod of Ages
Needlessly Large Rod
Deathcap
Zhonya's Hourglass

After that it's situational.
You don't max Q first.

Or second.

McFace

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
You don't max Q first.

Or second.
Well I certainly don't. I was just curious as to why he did.

At least I know I'm not crazy!