This Tribunal System..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KimKelley

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
. Even the nicest of people can have a bad day and just snap sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabunn View Post
THIS. 100% THIS. so true


While this is true, those people who only occasionally snap do not make it to the Tribunal. I have been pushed over the edge and been a jerk. If those rare games ever make it into the Tribunal, I fully expect to be punished because I knowingly broke a rule.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OneReich

Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinKillBear View Post
Yes, and I was responding to a horrible comparison between video games and getting hit with a baseball bat.

I have already stated why the other person starting it is of no consequence and does not need to be adjusted. As far as I have seen, no one has posted a single good reason why acting like a child because someone else did is an acceptable recourse.
The entire post, made by me if you haven't noticed, never stated that it is okay to behave like a child and get away with it.

You must consider these facts,

1) I stated that the offender should be punished accordingly to the situation in correlation to the offenders provoker.

2) Quick assumptions made by the Tribunal is the main flaw

3) That the Provoker is not punished, and the punishment given to the summoner is often greater then what is necessary, and most of the time is unfair considering the situation.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luvatar

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReich View Post
Some people are like talking to brick walls. They have no alternative viewpoint and are quick to make assumptions when the truth is that I am making a completely valid argument.
The problem is that your argument works on the assumption that the other offender either got scott free or got a less severe punishment for starting it.

Like I said, chances are that the original offender is also being reviewed. As for the punishment being unfair, you have to take into account that the it is usually not punishing for just one thing, but for multiple offenses. You will almost never show up on the tribunal unless you have a huge number of reports. Usually a tribunal punishment is the end result of many different circumstances that caused negative experiences for players overall.

Besides, like I said, the tribunal only has one true rule: Don't be a Jerk. If you are being a Jerk, you will get the same punishment treatment everyone does. The how or why you are being a Jerk is irrelevant.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PenguinKillBear

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken Easley View Post
I understand what you're saying, Penguin.

I just don't see how that can make sense for you to feel that way.

A person should be weighed against the severity of their crimes, not whether or not they committed a crime at all.

It's just not justified.
this isnt real life. In real life you have stolen property, murder, rape etc.. These are all very different out comes with very different situations.

In this game there is only one out come of unacceptable behaviour, and that is a ruined players experience. That is what it boils down to. That is the point of the tribunal in the first place to make the game more enjoyable for the community by weeding out those who take away from it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OneReich

Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvatar View Post
The problem is that your argument works on the assumption that the other offender either got scott free or got a less severe punishment for starting it.

Like I said, chances are that the original offender is also being reviewed. As for the punishment being unfair, you have to take into account that the it is usually not punishing for just one thing, but for multiple offenses. You will almost never show up on the tribunal unless you have a huge number of reports. Usually a tribunal punishment is the end result of many different circumstances that caused negative experiences for players overall.

Besides, like I said, the tribunal only has one true rule: Don't be a Jerk. If you are being a Jerk, you will get the same punishment treatment everyone does. The how or why you are being a Jerk is irrelevant.
It's not just that. My argument is also based on the fact that the punishment given to the offender is of far greater severity of the offence itself.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OneReich

Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinKillBear View Post
this isnt real life. In real life you have stolen property, murder, rape etc.. These are all very different out comes with very different situations.

In this game there is only one out come of unacceptable behaviour, and that is a ruined players experience. That is what it boils down to. That is the point of the tribunal in the first place to make the game more enjoyable for the community by weeding out those who take away from it.
This is real life, that's what you dont understand. Every player is a human being, and in itself is a virtual world ran by PEOPLE. thus yes, indirectly it is real life - with a community, laws and order.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OneReich

Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken Easley View Post
I understand what you're saying, Penguin.

I just don't see how that can make sense for you to feel that way.

A person should be weighed against the severity of their crimes, not whether or not they committed a crime at all.

It's just not justified.
^Exactly - That is my argument itself


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KimKelley

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken Easley View Post
I understand what you're saying, Penguin.

I just don't see how that can make sense for you to feel that way.

A person should be weighed against the severity of their crimes, not whether or not they committed a crime at all.

It's just not justified.

It's pretty just, I think you're just misunderstanding the infraction and the point. All violations of the summoners code come down to "deliberately making the game unpleasant for another player". (Please no reductio ad absurdum arguments). If you do that continuously, you're affecting Riot's bottom line and should be removed from the community. It seems like a perfectly reasonable action for a company to make tbh.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luvatar

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReich View Post
It's not just that. My argument is also based on the fact that the punishment given to the offender is of far greater severity of the offence itself.
Which is not a very good argument because the punishment isn't based on individual instances. I already told you, a tribunal punishment is a compilation of many different actions. Do different actions cause different degrees of unpleasant on the population? Yes. Is the end result different? No.

You can be a little Jerk or a Big Jerk, but in the end both Jerks will ruin the game, and that is what matters.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fudouri

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Hm...since youo've been so responsive.

I think you've mistaken what your personal belief system is with the collective belief system.

So, your personal belief system is that retaliation should be pardoned. The collective belief system is that it should be punished. (And this is putting it simply, its really a gradient that each individual is on, but wanted to simplify my point).

Just because it is your personal belief system does not make it right. Just because its the collective belief does not make it right. Though, in this case, as the power in charge, Riot has determined to go with the collective belief.

Which really leaves you with one thing. Change the collective belief. I suggest doing 20 tribunal cases each day to make sure you are moving the line.