This Tribunal System..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KimKelley

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken Easley View Post
Do you not understand how you're all hypocrites because of how you judge them for doing what you all do?
I speed on occasion. If a cop pulls me over. I pay the fine. I did something wrong and got caught. Doesn't make me a hypocrite to think other people should be fined as well. I don't think anyone here is arguing that, should they make it to the Tribunal for games they displayed bad behavior in, they shouldn't get punished.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Awaken Easley

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKelley View Post
I speed on occasion. If a cop pulls me over. I pay the fine. I did something wrong and got caught. Doesn't make me a hypocrite to think other people should be fined as well. I don't think anyone here is arguing that, should they make it to the Tribunal for games they displayed bad behavior in, they shouldn't get punished.
There's a difference in speeding, getting caught, and owning up to the crimes.

There's a difference in speeding, getting caught, pretending it didn't happen, and insulting others who were speeding.

There's a difference in speeding, getting caught, and spending life in prison.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KimKelley

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken Easley View Post
There's a difference in speeding, getting caught, and spending life in prison.

You realize the analogy here would be more accurately depicted as

"Getting caught speeding for the 9th time and losing your license permanently."


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Awaken Easley

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinKillBear View Post
There is a difference from people being frequently a jerk in game, and someone breaking once. That is why it takes many games of reports to get to the tribunal. Its not hypocritical to accept that even nice, friendly players rage once in a long while, and yet punish players who do it in a large percentage of their games.

1% of games raged in does not equal 30% of games raged in.
Then it's no longer about "Did he break the rules?" It's about "How often is too often?" And considering this is directly related to a vast, complex web of human emotion and life experiences, I find this question to be a bit too intricate for anyone in this community to be answering. I think it speaks volumes on how self-absorbed people are when they even attempt it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Awaken Easley

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKelley View Post
You realize the analogy here would be more accurately depicted as

"Getting caught speeding for the 9th time and losing your license permanently."
I honestly don't think either would be an accurate depiction.

Speeding puts peoples' lives at risk.

Calling someone an ******* on a video game, doesn't.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

theurbanraptor

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReich View Post
I get your point well, it's not like I didn't think about it, I just find it unfair that I should get punished for fighting fire with fire - atleast punish the person who started it as well!
how do you know they were not punished as well? Worry about your own actions.

Example. You are in a corporate work environment. Your co-worker calls you an idiot. You call them a fing homosexual. Now, do you think you will get to keep your job? No, you wont. Same goes for the game. If someone is flaming you, or baiting you, don't be a chump and take the bait. Ignore and report.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OneReich

Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by theurbanraptor View Post
how do you know they were not punished as well? Worry about your own actions.

Example. You are in a corporate work environment. Your co-worker calls you an idiot. You call them a fing homosexual. Now, do you think you will get to keep your job? No, you wont. Same goes for the game. If someone is flaming you, or baiting you, don't be a chump and take the bait. Ignore and report.
If you read my comment you will see that the offender replied in that forum post telling them that he recieved no punishment - thus taunting the banned player.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OneReich

Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdomdiary View Post
The report is upon that guy in particular.
Not swain.
If someone deemed it necessary for swain to be reported, they would've done so, and we, the tribunal reviewists, would have treated him in the same way.

The report is for an individual person on the team. The tribunal is accurate and the few people that do not agree with the report cards, can appeal and people will willingly look at this.
This is exactly the problem im talking about. If he was provoked riot should take that into consideration and reduce his sentence. The weight of the crime should be weighed along with the cause of the crime.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zaresin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReich View Post
This is exactly the problem im talking about. If he was provoked riot should take that into consideration and reduce his sentence. The weight of the crime should be weighed along with the cause of the crime.
Please read section 4


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Lately, I've been receiving a lot of e-mails about the same questions and complaints about the Tribunal. I'm working with WookieCookie, RiotSeb and statuskwoh to add these to the Tribunal FAQs but we would love to discuss them here first.

1) What's the point of having a language filter if I can get banned for 'adult' language?
a) We aren't out to punish players who use adult language; in fact, very few players are ever banned for saying stuff like "f***, I missed that skill shot" or "damn, f***ing close game!" However, the language filter is not an excuse to verbally abuse someone in the game. When you verbally abuse or harass someone by calling them "f***ing ******" or "n*gger noob", that's when you've crossed the line and will be punished by the Tribunal. I've said this before and I'll say it again, we aren't trying to clean online games of adult language; we're trying to reform or get rid of jerks who like to verbally abuse and harass other players.

2) I only have 1 bad game in my Tribunal Reform Card, why am I banned???
a) The Tribunal verdict is not based on a 'majority' rule; there is also no requirement that all games have to be toxic for it to warrant a suspension. Depending on the case, sometimes 1 game is all that is needed to show that the player deserves a suspension. To Tribunal reviewers, decisions like these are up to you. When you view a Tribunal case, the questions you should ask yourselves are, "Is this player's behavior appropriate in League of Legends?" and "Would I want to play with this player?"

3) This player should have been banned, but he was pardoned. The Tribunal is broken!
a) The Tribunal was inspired by 'crowdsourcing' research. When I was still a student, I worked with labs that developed games such as "Foldit" that took advantage of crowdsourcing to find solutions to extremely tricky tasks--when you read this research you truly appreciate how accurate crowdsourcing systems can be. In fact, the Tribunal is far more accurate than traditional Player Support.

However, the Tribunal isn't perfect. The design is based on statistical probability and random sampling and every system like this has outliers. This means that sometimes, a player has an egregious Tribunal case but is still pardoned because he happened to get a lenient set of voters; however, if the player is truly toxic, he actually is re-sent back to the Tribunal in a handful of games and is usually accurately punished in his second visit to the Tribunal.

Because the Tribunal is designed to identify frequency and consistency of toxic behavior, this is why it doesn't take into account the severity of the offense. If a player is extremely toxic he will quickly get banned multiple times by the Tribunal until he is permabanned; in fact, extremely toxic players end up permabanned significantly faster than players who are 'less severe.' In the future, we may want to brainstorm ways to improve on the Tribunal so that it does take into account severity and adjusts punishments accordingly... but we're not there yet.

4) That player in my game was far worse than me. Why am I banned???
a) I'll keep this one simple: retaliation isn't OK. Reacting to a toxic player by being toxic just incites that player to be even worse--it also ruins the game for up to 8 other players. It is far, far worse to watch two people yelling at each other all game than it is to watch 1 player ranting into blank space. Almost everyone in the game can find someone out there that behaves worse than they do--but so what? Finding someone worse doesn't justify your behavior or justify retaliation. We expect more out of our players. What players often don't realize is... those other players in your game that you thought were worse? Nearly 100% of the time, those players were banned even before you were. If someone is being toxic, just report them and move on. If you retaliate, both of you will be banned. It's really that simple.

5) Low skill players should be banned from the game! The Tribunal should only ban Leavers/AFK and intentional feeders, those are the only types of players that really ruin games!
a) No. Just no. Jerks ruin games. League of Legends is for everyone whether they are 500 Elo or 2500 Elo. It's not a game for jerks.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GON the Mage Guy

Senior Member

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken Easley View Post
I honestly don't think either would be an accurate depiction.

Speeding puts peoples' lives at risk.

Calling someone an ******* on a video game, doesn't.
So unless it's harming someone physically, it shouldn't matter. Right, no.

"lol its the internet" isn't a defense, it's an excuse to be a d-bag because you can't bring yourself to do it to someone's face. I don't think I've seen any group of people playing any physical sport start shouting at their teammates "NOOB! NOOB! NOOB! F'CKING F*G! GO KILL YOURSELF!" But because it's on the faceless internet, it's totally cool and stuff, you're a superhero with racial slurs and manliness.

It's kinda sad, really.