Thresh and the 'Anti-Gank' Mechanic

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sakuri Ono

01-07-2013

So to get everyone up to speed:

This is Thresh; the new Champion.

Here are his abilities in action.

This is important point of the video #1.

This is important point of the video #2.

As you've noticed; Thresh has two abilities which I think mechanically can be called 'anti-gank maneuvers'. In Dominion responses to Bot Lane ganks can only come in a few limited forms, depending on champion type and selection. You either:

-Are close enough to directly engage in a 2v2/3v3; hoping your arrival into the scene has occurred soon enough to turn the gank into an even team fight.

-Or are far enough away that your job turns less from 'gank prevention' to 'defend the point long enough for bot to revive and then launch a counter offensive'.

Thresh however, provides a unique third option:

-Provide a passageway/barrier completely removing your Bot laner from the gank entirely.

His Ult blocks almost the entire lane; creating at least two walls gankers will have to break (taking large chunks of damage) in order to pursue the gank. The barrier is interesting but personally I think the main mechanic lies in his W. As seen in the video; Thresh can currently cast it over the wall from the FoW and, like a Blitz grab, the 'yanking' distance exceeds the range from which it was originally cast if Thresh moves away from the point of contact. Mixed in with the shield a quickly reacting Thresh can theoretically negate any effect a gank has. Not only removing the target but also putting a physical terrain barrier between the attacker and themselves; additionally pulling the Bot Laner into the FoW with Thresh.

If it all makes it through PBE relative unscathed (in terms of range/ability execution); I think this has potential to alter the way Bot lane ganks are executed in games in which Thresh is present (or any other future champions utilizing these mechanics).

Initial thoughts just on the theory of it?

Sauron

01-07-2013

Allied inFe eD about to get a kill? Nope!

Will also pull him through some shrooms.

Edit: Curses, foiled again!

Sakuri Ono

01-07-2013

As funny as that could be it sounds like that's not possible. From what I've gathered the W's pull only works if the ally willingly clicks the lantern; otherwise they just get a shield. So no Penta-Denial shenanigans. XD

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2013

one of the things about it is that his lanter doesn't work as Tablet of command/Mekansm where youc an just push people and allies whenever you want, it works the opposite way, you put the lantern and your ally has to ppick it up for him to dash to you.

HaIfhearted

01-07-2013

All I want to know is whether his lantern thingy reveals the area it lands in.
I mean, its a f*cking lantern. When you throw it out, it should light your way.

So far I've seen no information implying either way.

TakoyakiGunso

01-08-2013

Yeah Half it does reveal where it lands.

Xavderion

01-08-2013

What about Thresh's passive? Afaik he only needs to be in range of a kill to have a soul dropped. Seems OP in Dominion where people are dying all the time around windmill.

Redeemed In Fire

01-08-2013

I think it won't be as powerful as it looks, as while he can snag 2-4 souls per fight that only works out 35-50 a game and thats only 20-40 or so magic resist. Which makes sense, it's certainly not more than the average gained by levels on most champions.

Ekis the Seraph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
I think it won't be as powerful as it looks, as while he can snag 2-4 souls per fight that only works out 35-50 a game and thats only 20-40 or so magic resist. Which makes sense, it's certainly not more than the average gained by levels on most champions.
You also forget that pushing creep waves also will periodically grant him souls, so in some cases he gets a free Wand, Mantle, and Cloth much faster than others...

Nyx87

01-08-2013

Thresh is being touted as a support, so he should have "Anti-Gank" Mechanics. Most supports and tanks do because their job is to keep allies alive and keep enemies from doing what they want to do. I don't like that he doesn't have a long duration CC outside of his pull, but it will have to do.