What are Riven's thoughts toward Demacians?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yousonerfed

01-06-2013

I've always wondered if Riven holds any animosity towards Demacians, or if she's of the mind of "if I had to fight them, I would".

You see a lot of fanfics where Riven is friendly to Lux, after all.

Lord Mordor

01-06-2013

im equally curious about this...as well as what thoughts if any she has regarding Swain's ascent to grand general

Melancholy Exile

01-07-2013

While she's obviously going to be more open-minded than your typical Noxian, I'd still imagine Riven would be somewhat distrustful of Demacians. She would've been taught to see them as the "eternal enemy", nothing more, while she fought for Noxus and many of the details of the Demacian creed are very much at odds with her own ideology. Even now in her exile, she doesn't have many reasons to expect them to be sympathetic to either her or her cause.

Youso1337

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
While she's obviously going to be more open-minded than your typical Noxian, I'd still imagine Riven would be somewhat distrustful of Demacians. She would've been taught to see them as the "eternal enemy", nothing more, while she fought for Noxus and many of the details of the Demacian creed are very much at odds with her own ideology. Even now in her exile, she doesn't have many reasons to expect them to be sympathetic to either her or her cause.
Ever read Cerubois' fanfic Guiding Light? She seems pretty open to Lux and Irelia.

Cerubois

01-07-2013

Melancholy Exile has a reasonable point, from what we know of Riven, so I won't argue against that. :P

I've inferred and assumed quite a bit in my own views of Riven, but I believe I've done so logically. Ionia was definitely a wake-up call and a significant moment in our favourite white-haired Noxian's history. It is there that she seemed to develop a sense of honour and respect for her enemy.
However, there's a significant amount of her story we're missing, namely the decade or so she spent wandering in her self-imposed exile.

I strongly believe that spending that long traveling, with no place to return to, would forcibly open her mind to other people. Who's to say she didn't explore Demacia a little in order to better understand her own goals for Noxus? She was lost and confused, and looking for answers.

She loves Noxus, and she says so. But she never says anything about hating anyone.

Helmight

01-07-2013

I'm personally of the opinion that Riven, though betrayed by Noxus, would never really fall away from their beliefs. Her city has given her a home and purpose for countless years - even after the Couer Valley disaster, I don't think she totally turned her back on Noxus. Rather, Noxus turned its back on her.

To return to the question at large then, I don't think Riven likes the Demacians any more than an ordinary Noxian does. She may see Noxus in a foul light after they betrayed the very principle for which they stand, but she has believed all her life that Demacia is the true enemy. Being an exile now would give her a better view of things, but it wouldn't cause the drastic perspective shift needed to make her like Demacia or Demacians.

Melancholy Exile

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youso1337 View Post
Ever read Cerubois' fanfic Guiding Light? She seems pretty open to Lux and Irelia.
Yeah, we've spoken a few times in the past - away from these forums, I mean.

I'd just point out that Riven's first meeting with Lux opens:

Quote:
"Hello, Noxian." She stated simply, smirking. Her tone of voice was high, cheerful.

Riven immediately took the words as a challenge. "Former Noxian." She corrected, glowering. At least, that's the term she would use whenever someone challenged her identity.

The girl shrugged, "A Knock will always be a Knock."

"And you're obviously just another blind Machee." Riven countered.

Firlyean

01-08-2013

I recall Riot saying that Riven still considers herself Noxian, just that she felt Noxus strayed too far from the 'Noxian way' (The biggest and strongest survive). I don't think her thoughts towards Demacia differs much from the typical Noxian, that they're just another nation out there waiting to be put under Noxian rule.

Prince Kassad

01-10-2013

While she is completely awesome, Riven isn't totally enlightened. Let's not kid ourselves: she is a hardened veteran who probably still holds biases. She wants to return to Noxus and save it from itself, which means that she holds a loyalty to that nation. I'm sure she would have no problem cutting down any Demacians who get in the way of that goal. Even in her lore, she wasn't as worried about the use of chemical weapons as she was about the Noxian commanders approving the Zaunites friendly-fire. She was more concerned for her own troops than the Ionians.

tl;dr Riven cares about her own people above everyone else.