What are the ways to play?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brunts

01-07-2013

I have been playing the game for about 3 days now and I heard terms like Tank, jungler, and support. I don't really know what the specific roles of these types of things are, are they play styles? Is it specific to what champion you are? I was just hoping someone could give me a little incite as to what the terms mean and how they are used.

Andarel

01-07-2013

Some general information, since I don't have too long - I'll flesh out later:

Playstyle/Roles:

Tank - Tanks are extremely hard to kill and are very disruptive, often able to force the enemy to target them. Additionally, they often have high-impact ultimates that can either make them extraordinarily difficult to kill or have a ton of disruption. Tanks build almost no damage, favoring defenses and cooldown reduction as well as some utility.

Carry - Carries deal damage in spades, and can pump it out over a teamfight. Their damage is consistent and scales with the game duration, since they either use autoattacks (AD carries like Ashe, Graves, and Ezreal, who build attack damage, attack speed, and crit in order to murder teams lategame) or low-cooldown spells (like Cassiopeia or Karthus, churning out decent AP ratio magic damage). They are notable in that they will deal consistent, high damage and are valuable for pushing towers as well as getting kills. The safest carries are ranged.

Bruiser - They build some damage and then rush survivability to the max, or somewhere in between, dealing less damage than carries but being a lot harder to kill. They are usually melee.

Offtank - Like a bruiser, but with more utility, more survivability, and a lot less damage - but more than tanks. Sometimes they can dive very well, but they often have more CC and survival ults.

"Tanky" - Hard to kill, stacking defenses, naturally high armor or magic resist, etc. Not necessarily "being a tank", but similar.

Will post more later, but that covers some basics.

XxPoN3DxX

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthiltst View Post
I have been playing the game for about 3 days now and I heard terms like Tank, jungler, and support. I don't really know what the specific roles of these types of things are, are they play styles? Is it specific to what champion you are? I was just hoping someone could give me a little incite as to what the terms mean and how they are used.
the 5 main roles of lol

Adc: a ranged ad based champ that goes bot lane

support: a champion with the purpose of helping others on the team, ie a heal or a buff (goes bot with adc)

Jungler: a champion whos lane exists in the jungle roaming from lane to lane helping lanes that are having a tuff time (ganking)

Apc or mid: this is your main ap damage and takes mid lane to farm faster as there items cost a little more and its quicker to get to creeps.

Top laner: this is normally the tank or the bruiser (ill get to that) they go in top lane solo (if you have a jungler) and are either the hard to kill, or hard hitting members of the team.

sub catigories:

Bruiser: a top laner who has a very strong atk

Tank: someone with allot of deffence and health that is hard to take down, they may not have allot of dmg

off tank: imbetween tank and bruiser

Carry: main dmg dealers on the team

adc and apc

adc: focuses on atk speed life steal and atk damage, they sustain damage ( This means very strong rapid auto attacks)
apc:focuses on mana, ability power, and bursting ( this means quick powerful attacks)

If there are anymore terms you dont know ask well let ya know.

XxPoN3DxX

01-07-2013

and dont downvote him because he wants to learn