A somewhat bad trend in the community

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IndieSmack

01-06-2013

Hello all, I am IndieSmack, a relatively unknown player of 2 years of League and over the years I have noticed a relatively bad and somewhat disturbing trend in League. That trend is the whole "calling your position" trend.

Now don't get me wrong, calling your position in game is actually a good thing, with people knowing what you may be best at. However I have noticed the community takes this trend too far, with most players that I at least have played with, believing that if you call your lane, it is your 1000% right to play that lane. Now I usually do not call my lane, which take that how you see it as either a good or bad thing, and I just play whatever I feel like playing if I am either first pick or up towards the higher end of the pick order, and if I am at the bottom of the pick order I just play whatever is needed.

I personally believe that the pick order that you are given should be valued equally or even higher than what people call. I have a rune page for multiple champions for every lane and every position in the game, and I can take on any role that I am needed to take on.

However, not everyone ad-hears to this idea, and when I am first pick and I, say pick mid from someone who calls it, I am usually met with some variation of the following: "YOU F**KING ASSH**E! I CALLED MID AND YOU TOOK IT FROM ME! I DON'T HAVE A PAGE FOR ANY OTHER LANE OTHER THAN MID! F**K THIS S**T I'MA TROLL!"

In my mind, the fact of the matter is that if I want to play mid, and I am a higher pick than you, I will pick mid. Call me an ass, call me scum, call me a b**ch, whatever you wish to call me, I believe that pick order is more important than calling a position. Sometimes the pros some of us love to follow don't get to play their preferred lane in solo queue, but you don't see them trolling others on their streams. You never see someone like OddOne or Stvicious going "MOTHER F**KER STOLE MY JUNGLE! whelp time to troll!"

What I am trying to get at is this those who read my post, Please be ready to play any lane in solo queue, because it has been proven that even if you are a professional league player, you won't get your preferred lane 100% of the time. So please don't troll if you get your lane, don't be an ass to the person who took your lane, just be a good sport and just play another lane.

Rageinald

01-06-2013

^^^^ Im with you

Drodeka

01-06-2013

I think players should have a title beneath their name, stating which position they most want to play. This could be used for matchmaking improvements with a toggle option, set to off by default.

BrahGold

01-06-2013

As someone who as only done normal, I can't really talk about pick order. However, I personally have at least one person who is viable for each role. The dilemma would arise if I was say the last in the pick order and say my one adc was banned. Just speculation, take it as you will.

montyElGato

01-06-2013

I know where you're coming from, BUT:

I also don't care for people who say, "Pick order > Calling. Too bad."

Added to this: a lot of people seem to hold the misconception that pick order determining roles is laid out in the Summoner's Code. This is NOT true; nowhere at all, in fact, is it written down that pick order means anything whatsoever.

The idea is that the team discusses things and comes to an understanding, resulting in a comp. that everyone feels can win the game.

Obviously, the problem here is dealing with strangers on the Internet who really only care about what they want to play themselves in any given game.

It will always be an issue. I HATE people who think you have to "play every role". Especially because the "roles" aren't real: they're part of a contrived "meta-game" that exists nowhere except in people's heads.

I think it's best if everyone can play at least two roles well, and is open to discussing things with their team.

TasteBlood

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyElGato View Post

Added to this: a lot of people seem to hold the misconception that pick order determining roles is laid out in the Summoner's Code. This is NOT true; nowhere at all, in fact, is it written down that pick order means anything whatsoever.

The idea is that the team discusses things and comes to an understanding, resulting in a comp. that everyone feels can win the game.

Obviously, the problem here is dealing with strangers on the Internet who really only care about what they want to play themselves in any given game.

It will always be an issue. I HATE people who think you have to "play every role". Especially because the "roles" aren't real: they're part of a contrived "meta-game" that exists nowhere except in people's heads.

I think it's best if everyone can play at least two roles well, and is open to discussing things with their team.
Here's the thing though.. even though it isnt in the summoner's code as you say.. pick really is more important than call. Imagine if you went to a friend who had never played LoL and told them that in ranked you pick in a certain order but really whoever calls it gets it. You'd sound dumb XD there is a pick order for a reason.. because it is just that a PICK ORDER :P

Flagrock

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahGold View Post
As someone who as only done normal, I can't really talk about pick order. However, I personally have at least one person who is viable for each role. The dilemma would arise if I was say the last in the pick order and say my one adc was banned. Just speculation, take it as you will.
I do some ranks and most normals. I understand what you are saying. I only have 1 AD carry I can play but I have bought Ashe because she's cheap and if no one else can play AD carry I will play her. It's very rare that my AD carry is taken (Tristana) but you should probably get a back-up for each spot. Most roles have super cheap people that are ok in like the AD carrys you can get Tristana for free (Riot promotion) and Ashe is only 450. So, I understand where you are saying that, but I have truly had no real choices and been thrown in ranked with a champ I don't play just so my team can have a fighting chance. I was the last to pick with someone else and I warned them I had no ad carry I was good with and they still wanted ashe so it's their choice if you give them the option.

Calling just saying the position you favor. If you read the Summoner's Code it actually alludes to the fact that pick order means more than "calling" So yeah, please follow it and communicating "hey I'm only strong with top can I please have that" most people will let you have that spot

Drodeka

01-06-2013

Instead of trying to work around the problem, why not just fix it?
The position titles might not be the greatest approach, but I think it would be a major improvement.

ErmagherdClerp

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyElGato View Post

I dont know if you have tried to discuss roles with ppl in solo que. impossible.

montyElGato

01-06-2013

Quote:
Here's the thing though.. even though it isnt in the summoner's code as you say.. pick really is more important than call. Imagine if you went to a friend who had never played LoL and told them that in ranked you pick in a certain order but really whoever calls it gets it. You'd sound dumb XD there is a pick order for a reason.. because it is just that a PICK ORDER :P
This is not the reason for the pick order. It's to facilitate counter picking and such between the teams. That's the only reason it goes back and forth, instead of everyone just picking all at once as it goes in blind pick.