Kill help?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LadyMisfortune

01-06-2013

I've played a few games so far &I'm finally starting to get the hang of the game, but I'm still having some troubles. No matter how hard I try I can never really get any kills. I can get assists, but I either can't get the finishing blow in, someone steals my kill, or I get killed. How are some people able to rack up like, 17 kills in one match when I can't even get one. Any advice for how to get better? I've finally gotten better at the whole, not dying part, but with as many games as I've played I just can't get any kills. Any advice or pointers?

Thanks =)

Andarel

01-06-2013

Well, first of all and as you seem to well know: Not dying is more important than getting kills. But getting kills is a matter of knowing what champions you want to play - for someone like LeBlanc or Pantheon, you'll be getting kills by blowing enemies down to two-thirds or half health in harass and then just exploding them with your burst. For Ryze, you're looking for long trades that favor your spammable Q, and same with autoattacks for AD carries. But some tips:

- The best way to get kills is to be good at slowly lowering your enemy's health in lane. Then, when they've fallen low enough you can jump on them for the last third or so. If you're playing someone who doesn't do particularly high damage (Ashe, say) you need to slowly get them low enough until you can flat-out win.
- Towers aren't invincible defenders. Especially if you have a tank you can, if you know you will get the kill, dive their tower. Try to keep the tower aggro on the tank by having him hit the enemy first, or trade tower aggro when you get good enough to manipulate it well.
- Stealing kills is going to happen, unfortunately. Don't worry too much abaout it.
- Getting killed is a matter of knowing when and when you can't win fights, you'll get the hang of it as you play more. Some champs are extraordinarily hard to duel (Jax, Xin Zhao) and some are very slippery and will kill you if you try and get the finishing blow and get worn down / their cooldowns come back up (Singed, Fizz).

Also, if you're playing a supporty tank or support mage like Nautilus, Alistar, Maokai, Soraka, or Janna you probably won't be getting many kills - you just don't do enough damage. Maybe early-game or midgame with ult on Nautilus, but generally your giant fight and lane impact doesn't rely on damage so don't worry about it. 0/2/25 is just as impressive as 8/2/4,and 0/0/30 is always a great one.

ShadowLegend454

01-06-2013

One thing: know if your champion is a support. If it is, then you will mostly be getting the assists. Like Andarel mentioned, killsteals happen. And who do you use as your main champ?

hellrazor8421

01-06-2013

Well you seem to like to play Annie a lot. So just harass them until they are about half health or lower. Then you will want to stun them with one of your spells and then use all your other spells at fast as you can. Also use an ignite on them to insure the kill. Not sure if you can use that spell yet. Also, for Annie you should build a rabadons deathcap. Gives your spells a lot more power.

Just give it time and you'll get better at it. Not dying is much more important.

LadyMisfortune

01-06-2013

I like Annie, she's the only one I actually bought. I've been using Varus to change things up a bit, who I'm better with I've realized (although once he's off the free rotation then I'll have to find another until I can save up to buy him too). I'm still trying to find a champion who I'm good with. I've been mostly sticking to the Co-op vs AI, I want to get better before going up against actual people.

Shottymaster

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMisfortune View Post
I like Annie, she's the only one I actually bought. I've been using Varus to change things up a bit, who I'm better with I've realized (although once he's off the free rotation then I'll have to find another until I can save up to buy him too). I'm still trying to find a champion who I'm good with. I've been mostly sticking to the Co-op vs AI, I want to get better before going up against actual people.
If you like Varus, go ahead and get Ashe, the one from the tutorial. She's an extremely safe pick and still deals good damage while having a ton of utility.

Ashe's gameplay feels quite similar to that of Varus.