building a new desktop

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vidandric

01-05-2013

So I stopped gaming on my computer about 5 years ago (I built it 6 years ago) and league has recently lured me back in. I'm keeping my full tower, and my 1200watt psu. Besides that... I'm trying to keep a budget of <$1500. I might be interested in getting a second monitor as well to dual screen so if anyone has any input on that, please chime in.

Please give me any input or help you can, especially about the motherboard :-)

Processor: http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...1155_Processor

MB: not sure what the difference is between these or if i need said differences. Can someone help with this?
http://*******.com/ac4mxob its not letting me link this for some reason its tiny URL where the * are

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104313

HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ogy-_-20227792

I also have my 2 current sata 2 he's including 1 raptor... can I/should i raid them with my sata3 ssd?

Video: id prefer gtx 680 and i want to just run 1 card due to budgeting. Should i get a 4gb card or a 2gb card thats overclocked like the one shown here... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...VGA-_-14130797

TheFieldMarshal

01-05-2013

I7-3770k is unneeded for gaming, you get ZERO gain over an I5-3570k. Note that, that price is INSTORE only at microcenter. Microcenter also offers discounts in the CPU+Mobo combo instore. Most Z77 boards should be sufficient. Just make sure it has all the features you need, and unless you wanna quad SLI/Xfire they should cost less than 140.

Ram is overkill. For gaming LGA 1155 boards have severely reduced benefit past 1600Mhz. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz should cost 35 bucks. If you happen to video edit(professionally) or do graphic design, 16Gb should run 60-70.

Do you have that SSD yet? If not get a Samsung 840/840pro IMO, but intel 520, OCZ vector/4 series, Plextor M5P, corsair neutron GTX are all good too.

Nvidia is not recommended atm. A radeon HD 7950 IceQ Turbo x2 for 320 will beat a GTX 680 overclocked but costs far less. The 3 best GPU Buys are the following
HD 7870 LE: 240
HD 7950: 300-320(custom coolers for OC)
HD 7970: 340-360

IF YOU MUST go Nvidia, the GTX 670 2GB is around 280-300 and is a decent buy. A 4GB is 400+ and is still hopelessly destroyed by the HD 7970 at stock speeds vs OC GTX 670.

SummerDaze

01-05-2013

The master has spoken

TheFieldMarshal

01-05-2013

Saw you selected a OCZ Vertex 4, it's a good SSD, I am partial to the Samsung Pro 840, but it's still a good SSD.

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

Marshall beat me to it (as always).

But my two cents:
I wouldn't bother with Raids as from my experience they aren't that spectacular and annoying to set up.

Nor with the second monitor. Most games (League of Legends included) handle the second monitor poorly from my experience. Metro 2033 couldn't even display anything if two monitors were active, forcing you to disconnect your secondary in order for it to be playable.

SummerDaze

01-05-2013

Yup, league sucks with a second monitor

Nameless Rogue

01-05-2013

Speaking as a sales associate from a Micro Center who has built a significant number of computers for personal use, friends, family and customers... If you are close enough to grab the CPU from Micro Center the i5 3570k is the way to go, (absolutely no need for an i7 for gaming, coming from the guy with an i7 2600k) it's at the lowest price for this ad set $169 and like Marshall mentioned it bundles with the board for a $40 dollar savings off the board.

I'm partial to gigabyte boards, the Z77X-UD3H or Z77X-D3H depending on availability are both $150 ($110 with the bundle savings) either one is great, supports SLI/Crossfire, mild overclocking, USB 3.0 all the goodies you'd really care about unless you are a super crazy enthusiast and for the price you really can't beat it.

For ram I'm all about the corsair vengeance or gskill if you're ordering ram from elsewhere but definitely you only need 8gig for gaming. I have 16gigs of ram and the only time ever use more than 8 is when I have firefox open, virtualizing something, and playing league at the same time.

For ssd go with a samsung drive, 840 pro preferred I have the 830 which is the predecessor and have been very happy with it.

For video card, I'll admit I'm more of an nvidia fan while it would appear that Marshall favors AMD. Both are great chip manufacturers but for me I find nvidia's drivers a little better and for things like multiple monitors I've never had an issue with the second or third monitor being plugged in for productivity while I'm playing games. I would also agree that there is really no need to jump beyond a GTX 670.

Vidandric

01-06-2013

Thank you all so much for the responses, from the looms of It I could build this extremely inexpensive and still have quite the performance. When I built my last computer it costed around 2800. But to be fair it still loads league faster than most peoples on here ;-) but anyways this is so so so much good info. That's pretty cool hearing about only needing an i5. Ill consider the amd video cards but it kooks like I have to rebuild this all and for a good deal cheaper.

Vidandric

01-07-2013

So I've gone to a:

i5 3570k $170
Zalman CPU heatsinc/fan $40
Asus Z77 board $120
G.Skil ripjaw x ddr3 1600 2x4gb $45
OCZ vertex 4 $220
LG blueray burner $70

But I can't find a gtx 670 for under $345 I really want to stay with nvidia just because I've had good luck with them and I'm comfortable with it. Is there anywhere you guys are seeing a gtx670 for under 300?

Vidandric

01-07-2013

Oh and the reason I went with ocz vertex 4 over Samsung 840 pro is because although Samsung is amazing, pcmag did a bunch of different be chmarks tests and the ocz vertex 4 came out on top in every single test and its 40$ cheaper :-)