what is skill cap?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SwirlyStars

01-06-2013

i keep hearing people say gragas has high skill cap what does it mean is it bad?

Vanist

01-06-2013

skill cap = difficulty to use/master

It doesn't mean Gragas is a bad champion, just that he's hard to use. I never really play him or see him, so I couldn't tell you how "good" he is.

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanist View Post
skill cap = difficulty to use/master

It doesn't mean Gragas is a bad champion, just that he's hard to use. I never really play him or see him, so I couldn't tell you how "good" he is.

Basically this.

But it also means that the more skill, the best are the rewards.

For example, you can have an easy champion and do good, but you would never be the same as an skilled player with a hard champion.

Usually "high skillcap" means it is a matter of style or just much practice.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

01-06-2013

"Skill cap" is the abstract concept of how skilled you would have to be to use the champion at their full potential.

Think of a game like Tic-Tac-Toe. You might be able to beat a kindergartener at it, but could you beat an average fifth grader? Probably not. You'd just tie. There's a limit to how good you can get at Tic-Tac-Toe, because there are only a few decisions to be made, and if you learn enough about the game (which doesn't take long), the correct choice is obvious. Once you have just a little bit of ability to strategize and plan ahead, it is literally impossible to get any better at the game. It has a very low skill cap.

Apply the same concept to champions. If there are only a few obvious decisions to make, that champion has a low skill cap. If you have a lot of difficult high-risk decisions to make (like when and where to toss a Gragas ult), that champion has a high skill cap. There is a big difference between an average Gragas, a great Gragas, a pro Gragas, and the best Gragas in the world.

However, because skill is so abstract, the skill cap for each champion is largely just opinion. There is no way to definitively measure it or graph it. It is generally accepted that—at the highest level of play—high skill cap characters should be superior to low skill cap characters... not just in LoL but in other games as well. But unless you plan on actually playing at 2000 Elo, you shouldn't worry about it.