Council initiative Proposition.

123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gentleman Twitch

Senior Member

01-05-2013

I would agree if this is set into motion. I hope it is anyway.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scrubby Yum Yums

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-06-2013

I can see no reason to not at least try it. If it doesn't work, it's not as though we're left in a system that dictates our lives. We're simply left with the understanding that we need to find a new situation. It can be fought down, certainly, but to not so much as try it is to ignore opportunity, that someone tried to create a system to deal with the arguing and the mud-slinging.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corrupted Sniper

Senior Member

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergheis View Post
Hey everyone!

One thing I think we can all agree on is that this community sucks at treating arguments properly.

The common format is that there's a problem, a confrontation happens, other people jump in, other non-related things get brought into the discussion, everyone starts making long posts to address things, everyone agrees but not really, more arguing, snarky snide comments get upvoted, people start going "WHY IS EVERYONE FIGHTING COME ON CUT IT OUT" and then nothing gets done because no one has any idea what's going on anymore.

That gets nowhere. So, I'm proposing a group be made to address debates. Call it a Council.

This Council would not create set rules, but they would settle debates with decisions. Sort of like how the Supreme Court works. When an argument is had, the Council steps in to mediate between the two, and make sure the best possible solution for both parties is made.

For example, if a Lore debate is started ("AKALI WOULD TOTALLY DO THIS" "NO WAY AKALI WOULD TOTALLY DO THIS"), the Council is the ones that argue among themselves. They work with both arguing parties, map out every possible lore direction, explain to both parties what the other party wants, what they should and probably shouldn't do, and guide the two parties to a direction that both can agree with. Then that direction happens, and people are happy.

If a person debate is started, the Council is the one that talks with the two parties, the problem person and the ones that have a problem, and figure out what's wrong, what needs to be said, what should be improved, and make sure that no hostile distractions are being thrown around.

This way, the entire community doesn't have to jump into every single problem, and make everything confusing to navigate through in an argument. Instead of the entire community arguing about something, the Council argues about it instead.

Debates would happen in-client usually, unless otherwise needed. The Council would make decisions that are correct, and decisions that the community can trust is correct. However, in order for this to work, the Community needs to trust the Council, and respect and follow decisions made by the Council. The community would need to trust that people who decide to just completely ignore the council, aren't very useful themselves either.

Of course, the Council would be run by people the community absolutely trusts and respect. People who have proven they know how to see things from all perspectives and can find the right answer to any problem. People on Old Anivia's level.

For now, before these people can be found, however, I'd like to ask whether the community would like this to happen. It would mean giving up the Anarchy that we currently have, yes, but it would also help get so much done so much more quickly. The most important requirement however is that the Community allows this.

So, I ask you guys. Would you like something like this?
Would it sound unreasonable to suggest that to go in the way of the League of Nations to be somewhat... Unreasonable?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-06-2013

This interests me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TeoLeif

Senior Member

01-06-2013

I think it's an interesting proposition. And, as Ux said, we should at least give it a try. How can someone possibly say something would not work out without even trying, after all?

Just make sure people understand that this group isn't a "We say this, you follow it" kind of deal. It's more of a... "We kindly suggest you try something more along these lines for the good of the people" kind of thing, right?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmileyDemon

Senior Member

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask the Herald View Post
A Council would only serve as an "elite" circle of influential individuals given power over any given situation, which would only prove to corrupt them and twist them into something other than who they once were.
I dislike all ask champions equally not because of anything they done but because of the idea of ask champions in the first place. If this is going to be a council I wouldn't want some anonymous Ask champions deciding debates because for something like this to work it has to be very transparent. I like the original lore of the league and I think expanding upon it is like building a house of cards. Eventually it will fall into chaos which I believe it already has in some situations. That is what I think a council should do. Prevent major lore breaks from otherwise 'canon' scenarios within the Ask threads and settle disputes upon said lore.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corrupted Sniper

Senior Member

01-06-2013

I thought this idea was not proposed in the hope of settling disputes over lores? But still this whole entire idea of being watched and being monitored by someone you have no idea about creeps me out... Not to suggest that freely going around causing problems is OK, but shouldn't the community be the ones to solve this problem amongest themselves instead of leaving it to a few individuals?
This part especially concerns me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergheis View Post
The Council would make decisions that are correct, and decisions that the community can trust is correct. However, in order for this to work, the Community needs to trust the Council, and respect and follow decisions made by the Council. The community would need to trust that people who decide to just completely ignore the council, aren't very useful themselves either.
The people should not fear the council, but the council should fear the people. The very idea that a few individuals could solve things on a large scale and to suggest and recommend it to a large community sounds rather...
Would it sound wrong for me to point this out though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergheis View Post
It would mean giving up the Anarchy that we currently have, yes, but it would also help get so much done so much more quickly. The most important requirement however is that the Community allows this.
The problems that this community is having is not "so much". To run a government based system on a Internet forum that is suppose to be free is even more concerning. Why not simply let time take everything out of the picture and let things take their course?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergheis View Post
The common format is that there's a problem, a confrontation happens, other people jump in, other non-related things get brought into the discussion, everyone starts making long posts to address things, everyone agrees but not really, more arguing, snarky snide comments get upvoted, people start going "WHY IS EVERYONE FIGHTING COME ON CUT IT OUT" and then nothing gets done because no one has any idea what's going on anymore.
The reasons why people derail arguments is because they shouldn't be had in the first place and no, nothing needs to get done because the minority cannot represent the majority. What you are accomplishing is overcomplicating matters and making this community look like a place nobody wants to belong.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ergheis

Senior Member

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeoLeif View Post
I think it's an interesting proposition. And, as Ux said, we should at least give it a try. How can someone possibly say something would not work out without even trying, after all?

Just make sure people understand that this group isn't a "We say this, you follow it" kind of deal. It's more of a... "We kindly suggest you try something more along these lines for the good of the people" kind of thing, right?
Right. It stays as suggestions.

There is no need for rules. If someone doesn't like the suggestion made by the council, that someone continues to work with the Council until they find a good suggestion.

If someone wants to completely not listen and ignore any suggestions from the council, they can go right ahead and do so... But now you've lost alot of respect from anyone, cause honestly, the only reason you would refuse any help to improve and be peaceful is because you enjoy being a problem.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ergheis

Senior Member

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted Sniper View Post
I thought this idea was not proposed in the hope of settling disputes over lores?

But still this whole entire idea of being watched and being monitored by someone you have no idea about creeps me out...

Technically, you're constantly being watched by the entire community. If you do something here on the forums, everyone can read it.

Anyway, the community can't solve problems on it's own. Not because it's incompetent... It's just too big. Too many opinions, too many different branches in the argument.

This community isn't big enough that it needs ruling and it won't be for a long time. However, it definitely needs organization.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Great Aether

Senior Member

01-06-2013

I think this idea is great, Erghy. I wonder who's going to be responsible and unbiased enough to be called into the council?


123456 ... 10