Am I too harsh?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ibraesil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

As a judging member of the tribunal, I try to abide to the summoner's code to the letter. Recently, I've had some cases which I voted "punish" have the majority outcome be "pardon" I respect that other people do not believe that the language used is either harsh or even often, by the accused, however it is still technically a break of the summoner's code (as an example, if someone says "gg noobs" or something to that effect, I will punish, even if it is the only rude thing they have said in the game. Of course, I will not punish if they were polite during the rest of the game, however I do feel inclined to punish them for breaking the summoner's code.) I just wonder if i should not punish someone for only a single offense if they were largely indifferent during the rest of the game?
Personally, I wouldn't mind playing a game with aforementioned player, however they did break the summoner's code. I am unsure if I am fit to even judge the tribunal if I cannot be decisive in my choices.
I would like to know if it is right to punish the player who makes a small offense. it seems unfair to me but I know it is a break of the code and so I click punish.
Sorry if I repeated myself a bit.

Shelzin

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibraesil View Post
As a judging member of the tribunal, I try to abide to the summoner's code to the letter. Recently, I've had some cases which I voted "punish" have the majority outcome be "pardon" I respect that other people do not believe that the language used is either harsh or even often, by the accused, however it is still technically a break of the summoner's code (as an example, if someone says "gg noobs" or something to that effect, I will punish, even if it is the only rude thing they have said in the game. Of course, I will not punish if they were polite during the rest of the game, however I do feel inclined to punish them for breaking the summoner's code.) I just wonder if i should not punish someone for only a single offense if they were largely indifferent during the rest of the game?
Personally, I wouldn't mind playing a game with aforementioned player, however they did break the summoner's code. I am unsure if I am fit to even judge the tribunal if I cannot be decisive in my choices.
I would like to know if it is right to punish the player who makes a small offense. it seems unfair to me but I know it is a break of the code and so I click punish.
If you are doing what your conscience is telling to to do... Then you are doing exactly as you should be doing as a judge.

If you always punish or always pardon ... Then you are doing it wrong.

If you don't read the cases... You are doing it wrong.

Other than that... You are doing fine. Don't worry about what others are doing. Think to yourself on each case... Would I care if I played with or against this person? If no, punish. If you don't care... Pardon.

Easy as that.

ARainbowBunchie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

If you read the case and can say with certainty that you wouldn't want this guy on your team for any of the games, hit punish. It's worked out quite a bit for me.

A bit harsh, I know, but there are also subcriteria that I use for hitting punish that I don't want to elaborate on.

Gimpyloser

01-05-2013

I just punish people with 5 games reported and pardon those with 2, is that wrong?

AMDphreak

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpyloser View Post
I just punish people with 5 games reported and pardon those with 2, is that wrong?
Nope that's not wrong. It's dead wrong.

Try reading stuff. People like you are the reason the Tribunal is broken. You don't pay attention to the cases.

AMDphreak

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibraesil View Post
"Still technically a break of the summoner's code"

Well guess what. Anyone who uses dirty language is "breaking the summoner's code" according to your cookie cutter application of the stupid Summoner's Code. That Code is making you dumb, because you're ignoring the logical and ethical lessons you've learned before you met the Summoner's Code.

Guess how many people curse or call names in a game? You're saying that you're going to ban something like 90% of RIOT's customers, because they don't always speak like a "true Christian" (whatever the hell that is), or because people don't always get along in a game.

You're supposed to pardon the people who were defending themselves against *******s in game, and ban the jerks who were consistently instigating problems and being malicious without justification.

In short, do not make the age-old mistake of being a Sheeple. Sheeple "follow the Code to the letter." Use your freaking brain and measure the games' situations based on the social environment in the game. Learn to identify who was being unfair, and then punish him, and reward the people who were being fair.

Fair:
-Defending your team against harassment from the other team.
-Defending yourself by counter-harassing harassers. People who harass deserve to be counter-harassed, because they don't speak any other language besides harassment.
-Defending yourself, when an ally incites your other allies to believe you aren't contributing to a game, when you are, but they are blind to it.

These Tribunal religious zealots want you to basically be like Gandhi in these games. That is unrealistic, so use all the social analysis skills you (may have) learned in childhood.

You can learn how to analyze social situations alot better by studying social psychology and sociology. To get you started, study herd mentality and "Groupthink".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

Then you should really study cognitive biases. There is a list of cognitive biases on Wikipedia that is awesome and deserves your attention:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_bias

Also, read about personality types, and learn to apply what it teaches you to yourself, the Tribunal as a whole, and people in game.
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-p...e/mbti-basics/

Remember, the NF Idealists and SJ Protectors are most likely to be the trolls who have overrun the Tribunal Inquiries forum. They make judgment mistakes because they aren't rational. The NF's focus too much on forcing other people to like their unrealistic ideologies, and they can't emotionally handle different viewpoints. And the SJ people are just obsessed with controlling other people, "for their own good and for the good of my group." For example you can find SJ's most often in the military, often in higher positions, where they believe that they are serving their country, and they are usually drunk on power.

SJ types tend to apply rules "to the letter", and this is often their downfall. The difference between you and them is that you actually had a second thought about whether to apply them "to the letter," whereas an SJ would never doubt that they are doing the right thing---especially when they aren't. SJ's most often forget to look at the big picture, or what their judgment does, overall.

NT Rationals are the type of people who, after they appeal their case on here, get bashed by the NF and SJ types. Because NTs measure situations statistically and based on abstract principles, they tend to see the SITUATION with more clarity, beecause they have learned that people cannot be judged by their attitudes, but only by their actions, expectations, and their knowledge. NT's look for logical and consistent patterns of bad behavior, when judging these Tribunal cases. They look for "the big picture," instead of over-emphasizing the fact that "OH MY GOD BRAND JUST SAID THE Q WORD". (I'm using the Q word as an example, but there is no real Q word.)

NF's and SJ's see "The Q word" and they immediately ignore the fact that Brand was clearly a nice person the rest of the 45 minute game, and they decide to ban him for saying "The Q word" one time, in one game, because of one thing. Clearly Brand is an evil person who deserves a ban because if he wasn't evil in the first place, he wouldn't be in the Tribunal. No sir, the Tribunal can't be abused.

rain Spring

01-08-2013

somone needs to beat you nerds

Zaresin

01-08-2013

Ignore AMDPhreak and IamSpring, still not over their bans apparently.

On to brighter news.

OP...keep up the good work. You are doing perf fine. Just follow your own moral compass. It is all you really can do.

Zaresin

01-08-2013

AMDphreak, don't cite wikipedia, anyone with a wiki account can go in and type something and call it fact. use a medical journal, something that is published. Just my thoughts on that. There is a reason you can't use wikipedia as a source in college papers.

Fudouri

01-08-2013

AMDphreak...

As I have actually taken myers briggs test (shockingly large number of financial firms ask for it it seems), and as an ENTP, you are still a jerk...