Should Garen and Kat be a canon couple?

Yes 84 56.38%
No 65 43.62%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Should Garen and Kat be a canon couple?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tsaalyo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-05-2013

Reasons why are always nice, but in general, just curious to see opinion stats.

I'd love for it to be a thing, if for no other reason than to have characters actually have the depth and gray shades that Riot claims they want.

Ask Caitlyn

01-05-2013

No, because it's way too cliched.

Besides, Garen sees Katarina more as his rival. Gossip hounds like you in the military think he has the hots for the sexy assassin, but he doesn't. He sees her as a strong opponent in whom he likes to test his skills.

Likewise with Katarina. She is Noxian to the bone. She wouldn't' be caught dead falling for a Demacian. it would stain her honor and that of her family and house. Kat enjoys a good fight, Garen offers such.

Maybe they COULD have thoughts upon such, this is a BIG maybe, but neither will show or admit to it. There will be no canological relationship such as the one between Trynd and Ashe.

Rio Speedwagon

01-05-2013

I say yes cuz blitz said so

Tsaalyo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Caitlyn View Post
No, because it's way too cliched.

Besides, Garen sees Katarina more as his rival. Gossip hounds like you in the military think he has the hots for the sexy assassin, but he doesn't. He sees her as a strong opponent in whom he likes to test his skills.

Likewise with Katarina. She is Noxian to the bone. She wouldn't' be caught dead falling for a Demacian. it would stain her honor and that of her family and house. Kat enjoys a good fight, Garen offers such.

Maybe they COULD have thoughts upon such, this is a BIG maybe, but neither will show or admit to it. There will be no canological relationship such as the one between Trynd and Ashe.
How is it any more than cliched than "hurr I am what I am to the core passion passion passion"? Both character types have been done to death. Calling it cliched doesn't really hold up anymore.

Ask the Kumiho

01-05-2013

You should ask if Tristana and Teemo can be a canon couple.

themaddscientist

01-05-2013

I think the very fact that they aren't together is what makes them so unique. You would think that as soon as there was confirmation that they were perfect for each other they would jump on board, but it would appear that the opposite is true. There is nothing wrong with breaking tradition.

In terms of if they should because Blitzcrank says they would fit well together, does he mean for a permanent relationship, or for something less permanent? There is a difference between marriage and taking vows and just seeing each other a lot and sharing a similar passion. I don't think it would really fit to have the two in a serious relationship because it would break our entire understanding of both of them.

Ryugi Kazamaru

01-05-2013

Here is my take on things.

Garen -
Garen has been raised to respect the laws and customs of Demacia. The man will always fight for the greater good, no matter what that may entail. In addition, as a warrior, he is a person who looks for a challenge. Few people can truly match Garen's swordplay as far as combat. He's a real hero for Demacia, a leader of his own military force, and as such, he's reached a pinnacle of ability that few can match.

However, when Garen meets Katarina on the fields, he finds someone who is in virtually every way his equal. Their battles are the stuff of legend and tall tales on both sides. Each time she's spotted on the fields, Garen rushes to fight her, eager to prove himself as the better warrior between them, to test his strength against hers. He has incredible respect for her skill and mastery of her fighting ability. Even if Garen may not particularly like Noxus, he respects her as a fighter and combatant. Whether or not he finds her physically attractive is up to discussion, but any straight man can admit that Katarina is lovely to look at.

Katarina -
Katarina has been raised to respect strength and her own honor above all else, as well as her personal pride. When she fails, she works to rectify her mistake and prove herself as competent. She's very much a sort of poster child for Noxus despite her privileged upbringing. She's also proof that strength, in Noxus, if basically everything. She's one of the three best "blademasters" in Noxus: herself, her father, and Talon.

She meets Garen on the fields, and finds a foe that doesn't simply fall to her blows like the rank and file troops. He can fight back, hold his own, and meet and match her for skill and ability in his chosen craft. Because Noxus values and respects strength and personal honor and pride, Katarina respects Garen for his ability on the battlefield. She respects him for his strength and sense of duty. After all, Noxus does the same. Opposite sides or not, they form a sort of rivalry on the fields of war, fighting again and again to try and test their skills against one another. Whether or not Katarina finds Garen attractive is speculative, as I don't recall any comments from her about him.

In the end, hints of their supposed romance seem fanciful and teased, and I don't see any real reason WHY they should or WOULD fall into love, or become any kind of official couple. After all, let's face facts. Both respect their position in their city states, and to get involved with such a thing would most certainly be risky for both their positions. It just doesn't really work. Both are too married to their duties and positions to go about doing something like that.

Just my two cents.

IMAFIRAHMAHLAZOR

01-06-2013

However, if Garen does only wish to fight a strong rival, why doesn't he seek other strong candidates like Darius. Katarina is an assasin, there is actually a higher chance of Garen bumping into Darius in battle because they are both generals that lead the frontlines of battle while Katarina would be off doing more secret missions in assasinations. Why Garen specifically chose Katarina is what I don't understand? So that is what could hints that Garen is interested in her.

EmperorofTortuga

01-06-2013

You listened to the AoD song "You Can Stay," didn't you? That is the exact concept of the song.

Malicious Leaf

01-30-2013

Well, I think it should be Katarina and Talon, if anything was to form in their cold hearts.... Both assassins working for Noxian forces, under command of Katarina's father.