Dominion is NOT Classic

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morsecks

01-05-2013

It needs to be said that Dominion may look similar due to the champs and minions, but it ends there. Some differences worth mentioning:

1.) While a solo hero may save the day in classic mode ONLY teamwork will win in Dom.

2.) Back-doors don't work here. You may get the tower, but meanwhile you have just let your entire team die because they were outnumbered without you top 3v4. Kinda selfish of you! The remaining enemies then come back and take their mid back and now you are down 4 towers to 1. Save the back-doors for last 30 second "hail Marys" and classic mode.

3.) Don't chase. While you may catch that low HP enemy, its more likely he is drawing you into the bushes where you will be annihilated, once again, leaving your team shorthanded.

4.) Badmouthing someone for "communicating" a strategy during prep time will not help you win. You may retort by saying something cute like " I don't care about winning. How cunning of you to think of such a comeback, but why then are you playing the game? If you make a habit of throwing a tantrum bc someone is offering advice, you should be reported.

5.) There is no Ranked mode for "dominion", this does not mean that your precious "classic" mode is any better. It means that the Developers have not yet found a way to profit from it.If you don't like dom, don't come in. If you do come in be respectful by listening to offered advice, you don't know dominion just because you are a classic mode hero!

6.) Solely because there is no ranked mode in dominion, the Tribunal is not taken seriously and no-one is ever punished. RIOT needs to step in here or risk losing many that only play dominion. I think your making enough cash to afford a couple dedicated employees to man this post. Stop being cheap.

7.) (glad you brought this up Fizzlebeef) Feeding does NOT exist in Dominion. There is simply not enough gold given per champion kill to add up to anything of significance. Do you get gold for a kill, sure, but its a tiny amount compared to Classic which gives you 300 gold per champion kill.(for comparison these numbers are the base and don't include bonuses) Kill 20 champs in classic and your rolling in 6k gold+. Kill 20 champs in dominion and your maybe you can buy a mid level item. What item can you buy for that amount that will offset the game? Compare that to minion kills at 30 for common and 60 for large minions and you can see that it is more advantageous to farm minions with respect to gold for spending on items. Your right to say don't die for no reason, but below is the scenario that presents itself most often, where fighting to the death is preferred over running if you cant get the outright kill.
Here is my opinion on the K/D. Its far better for you to go in and do all the damage you can and die than to run, do no damage because your back is turned then die anyways. Given this most probable scenario, your team mate now has a chance to finish off what you started and maybe go on to take the tower. (Obviously the match-up of champs plays into it) I imagine it is hard for anyone used to only Classic or even having a few games in dominion to understand this, but when you get a few hundred games under your belt you should have seen enough of this played out to know what I'm talking about.) (For reference I have around 1k classic games and over 2k dominion games)

8.) Assists are too often overlooked. This ties in with #1 but needs its own mention. During or after games I see what I assume is a kid, point out someones k/d/a by stating something like "Look at you in last place with 5/4. This misses the point in dominion more so than classic. How that should be read is "Look at you with 5/4/27......are you kidding me? I will argue any day that assists are more valuable in dominion than kills, as long as the whole team has them. The reason being that a team with high assists worked together throughout the whole game, whereas you can look at anyone with a 23/12/1 and be pretty sure that this champion went out solo, starved the rest of the team of kills, did not work together with the rest of the team so morale was low, and at the end, when they lost, he points out that he got first place and "I couldn't carry hard enough" seems to be the common theme. Next time kid, try working with your team, and maybe you can get first place and the win.

Feel free to add to this using the same structure to make it easy to follow. ie;
9.) "next difference between dominion and classic modes"

TEAMwork FTW

(note: as there are no Italics in game chat, I substitute caps to emphasize. Dont confuse this with shouting. Any of you do the same?)

Enjoy!

DiscworldDeath

01-05-2013

I use / / or _ _ for italics/emphasis rather than caps.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

i don't completely agree with number two, it's the same situation as whensomeone is ganking bot, it can prove to be effective and profitable as long as your team holds back and dont engage into a fight before you reach them again

fizzlebeef

01-05-2013

1) Pretty much true. Except when the teams are evenly matched, one strong team mate can sway the tides (especially a strong bottom. [You want to be the strong player on your team if you're trying to raise your ELO!])

2) When top is taken and the enemy team is very much entrenched and will most likely end in a massacre -- you should back door. If only to force a team fight off the tower.

edit: PS: Don't backdoor alone only to get ganked and die in their jungle. Have 3 of your team mates wait in the bushes between you two, someone cap. Often top will leave 1-2 to defend top. Hopefully they will be out-matched and surprised by your stealth-from-bushes-attack. Works especially well with CC.

You then send the rest to take top -- it helps if someone stays behind to poke and slow them down when they try go back top to stop the cap. Often times, your team will not do these things. This is where you shine and become the strong player on your team -- don't rely on your team, if a job needs to be done, DO IT YOURSELF.

3) Chase if you can get the kill and the enemy team isn't waiting. This requires map awareness -- if you have it, then there shouldn't be a problem. If you're not sure where the enemy is though, don't chase.

The rest of it stops applying too much in higher ELO. I basically never see people who "don't care" aside from the occasional start-of-game-afk. People are more open to communicating coordination.

But yes, lower ELO Dominion is HELL. This is extremely true on Dominion. I think more than any other map. Basically everyone doesn't care about playing to win and are ADD children who only want to rush>fight>die>rush>fight>die>afk>trash talk.

How to get out?
1) Listen to what people better than you say.
2) Don't practice with different champions -- pick a handful that you're best with and know how to play them properly. Not only to get a positive k/d ratio, but also know how get the most out of the champion.
3) It's easy to let yourself dive in on 2-3 enemy players on their tower. But try not to battle out because you think "I can take 2 down and look like a tough-guy", but only dive if you can take the tower.
4) Again -- don't die for no reason. People love to say k/d doesn't matter on this map but they're wrong, period. Kills = gold, gold = items, items win games. It's not everything but do not dismiss it like some people do.

Just a few things I've learned while pulling myself out of the ****.

weezcake

01-05-2013

Backdooring is only a bad strategy if you do it incorrectly. If you're Shaco and backdooring for the hell of it,then yes, bad idea. But backdooring can be really, really irritating and prevent a large team fight, especially if the 4 people you're fighting are super beefy.

Eloquid

01-06-2013

I understand completely what you mean by 2), but sometimes you have nothing to do but exactly that. And if you're Yi with your ulti up, then it's your obligation

Fabs457

01-06-2013

backdooring never works against competent players who look at the map and don't sit on towers or sit in bush at 10% health without recalling. it only generally works somewhat if you're team is getting outcapped/losing teamfights or if the other team is constantly chasing/being kited---its a small delay so you can regroup

ThioCyanate

01-06-2013

I feel that back dooring in dom is a tricky issue. I've been on a few teams, and against a few that
thought it was all you had to do to win dom. We/they lost horrificly when that was the case (horrifically as in about 420-30 to 0). On the other hand I recently had a match where one team mate didn't join the match right away. One player back doored bot (where i was). There was no way we were going to win top assuming that the opponents were at least semi competent. The early back door completely threw their early game off. When our teammate reconnected instead of coming into a 4-1 to them he came into a 3-2 to us.

tl;dr Backdooring has a time and place, as long as its not every time every place.

Archeer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2013

Beef

XantheInsane

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeer View Post
Beef
steak