ELO - Unfair Initial Match-Ups

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keuzen

01-05-2013

I have been thinking about it for a while, knowing that there has to be a solution to this issue. I am not saying that I am pro, but I know I deserve to be above 1200 ELO. I am not blaming trolls or AFK'ers on the losses (Though they contributed nicely), but I would just like to point out that it seems as if the teams (at 1200 ELO) or horrendously unbalanced. As I just begin to play ranked on Season 3, I play quite well. I am not saying that my team is a bunch of morons, because they aren't. I would just like to point out that they are not as skilled as the enemy. Being an above-average player, I try my best to carry the team, but I can almost never do very well because my team is usually just starting to played ranked as well. Looking into their 2nd season, most were 1000 or 1100, while I was around 1230 (only played 2 or so). It feels awkward that Riot decides to start everyone of all ELOs into 1200. The way I understand, my team can consist of players with probable ELOs following: 1400, 1000, 1200, 1300, all the way to 1600 or more. I saw a post on these forums of someone discussing how ELO is your chance of winning against someone else. I think that is highly inaccurate due to the fact that I lose due to my team. I hate placing blame on others, but it just gets rather irritating when my losses are from players that don't know what a jungle is, why a support is useful, and what cs is. Maybe Riot could implement a system like StarCraft where you take a "test" of sorts in order to match you and your opposing team against equal skill levels. Like the other post said, such an accurate representation is impossible, but League of Legends is a team game. Having one or two bad players will cause me to lose, no matter how good I am.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-05-2013

Elo isn't going to be accurate if you haven't played ANY matches.
Elo isn't going to be accurate if you've only played a few matches.

You need to play a lot of matches before Elo even starts to become accurate.

Míley Dyrus

01-05-2013

If you're convinced that you're above 1200, only play your placements with a duo partner who you also know is above 1200. Yes, you'll lose some games because of your team, and that's why elo isn't a ratio of wins to losses, it's a straight up wins-losses, meaning that if you play enough, you'll reach your elo, even if your skill means you only win an extra 1% of games.

Ike011

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keuzen View Post
I have been thinking about it for a while, knowing that there has to be a solution to this issue. I am not saying that I am pro, but I know I deserve to be above 1200 ELO. I am not blaming trolls or AFK'ers on the losses (Though they contributed nicely), but I would just like to point out that it seems as if the teams (at 1200 ELO) or horrendously unbalanced. As I just begin to play ranked on Season 3, I play quite well. I am not saying that my team is a bunch of morons, because they aren't. I would just like to point out that they are not as skilled as the enemy. Being an above-average player, I try my best to carry the team, but I can almost never do very well because my team is usually just starting to played ranked as well. Looking into their 2nd season, most were 1000 or 1100, while I was around 1230 (only played 2 or so). It feels awkward that Riot decides to start everyone of all ELOs into 1200. The way I understand, my team can consist of players with probable ELOs following: 1400, 1000, 1200, 1300, all the way to 1600 or more. I saw a post on these forums of someone discussing how ELO is your chance of winning against someone else. I think that is highly inaccurate due to the fact that I lose due to my team. I hate placing blame on others, but it just gets rather irritating when my losses are from players that don't know what a jungle is, why a support is useful, and what cs is. Maybe Riot could implement a system like StarCraft where you take a "test" of sorts in order to match you and your opposing team against equal skill levels. Like the other post said, such an accurate representation is impossible, but League of Legends is a team game. Having one or two bad players will cause me to lose, no matter how good I am.
Yeah, riot should do this.

adc

01-05-2013

I've played with a 1750~ player who is clearly a stronger player than I am. I've also played with a 2.5k player and done quite well at 1600-1700. I was at 1275 about 2-3 weeks before the end of last season, and within 40 non-placement games I had hit 1475. I didn't play enough to get any higher than that, but I'm sure if I played a few hundred more, I would've hit 1500 and probably close to 1600.

Elo is a fairly accurate way to measure your skill level after you play a significantly large amount of games (200-300) at the current skill level you play at.

W0L

01-05-2013

The games in Starcraft 2 are not "Tests" They are placement matches for the league you will be in . When you first begin the game , you will be put into a practice league for 50 games and the games you play will be to practice and do not count. After that you will do 5 placement matches and after completing them you will be placed in a league. Bronze , silver , gold , diamond , masters and grandmaster . This will decide at what level you will play at for the season . Now of course if you play well you will be promoted or demoted according to your play . After the season you will have to do another placement match to confirm you are in the right league.

trackmaster

01-05-2013

They don't start everyone at 1200, I think I started this season at 1400 because I finished last season gold.

adc

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackmaster View Post
They don't start everyone at 1200, I think I started this season at 1400 because I finished last season gold.
Everyone new starts at 1200. You get a soft reset if you played last season.

trackmaster

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
Everyone new starts at 1200. You get a soft reset if you played last season.
True, so I guess the post should be more upset about having people from 1200 and down, unless its a second account most people don't start over 1200.

Keuzen

01-22-2013

PogoPogoPogoPogo, I used to have another account I used to play on, but didn't like the name anymore and left it cold and dead at season two. I had around 40 matches. Not much, I understand, but it did seem impossible to get above that ELO due to the increasing amount of flamers and toxic players.