[Jan 2013 MCCC] Atamun II, Magocrat (aka spell lego)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raptamei

01-05-2013

Atamun II, Magocrat
(MCCC post)

Lore

The island of Atarsis was once the centre of civilisation. Its sailors and explorers colonised Runeterra and shared their knowledge with the primitive human and yordle species.

Aware of the imminent volcanic destruction of Atarsis and ensuing global ecological catastrophe, the ruling caste devised a plan to travel to a parallel dimension, abandoning Runeterra. Most of them made it off the planet in time, but not all. Many of the god-king's magocrats (advisors in arcane and religious matters) were unintentionally left behind when their dimensional ship malfunctioned. Trapped on an island that was about to explode, they decided to dig themselves in and hope for the best. To maximise the chance that at least some of them would survive, each magocrat built their own individual bunker. Tetmes claimed the palace's magically reinforced summoning halls, Sath sought refuge in an underwater cave while Emut went to work on creating a pocket dimension, a task considered impossible in the few days remaining before the cataclysm.

After considering his options, Atamun II dragged his stasis sarcophagus from the dimensional ship into the deepest catacombs he could find underneath the royal palace and fortified the edifice with powerful defensive magics, turning its walls into indestructible cerulean crystal. Finally he entered his stasis sarcophagus, set the time to five years in the future and with a final prayer to the Divines, went to sleep.

In the end, it took twenty thousand years. The eruption was powerful enough to overwhelm the wards and turn the cerulean tomb into a mass of shattered stone, disabling the machinery responsible for waking Atamun II up, but the adamantium sarcophagus itself survived. The tomb and all remaining traces of Atarsian civilisation remained buried under a blanket of lava for many millennia until a yordle archeologist by the name of Jango used radiolocation to discover geometric structures and hollow underground areas underneath the caldera. During the ensuing excavation, Jango's team discovered and opened the sacrophagus, causing it to automatically switch off.

Although Atamun II was grateful for his unintentional rescue, the most important thing on his mind was the fate of the other magocrats. They could still be alive! But Jango did not dispose of the equipment necessary to see through the layers of pumice and obsidian and visualise the palace and the underwater caves. Knowing the only thing that could convince the Piltover government to sink more funds into his dig was a real live Atarsian, Jango convinced him to accompany him to Piltover.

The government did agree to fund Jango's excavation, in exchange for some lost Atarsian scientific knowledge and perhaps a little assistance on the Fields of Justice...

Model

Atamun II is a vaguely elfish Atarsian advisor to the royal court, wearing gold embroidered blue robes that go well with his white skin and azure hair.

Atarsian dress code was elaborate and decadent, prominently featuring long trailing gold ribbons and ornate headdresses. But Atamun II is not just a harmless noble and Atarsian technology is well ahead of even today's yordle technology: illuminated sectors and energy lines running through his robe indicate a personal defensive matrix, and his royal sekhem uses lenses and a bound light elemental to fires beams of searing blue energy.

Skins
Shurima Atamun II: Scheming grand vizier to the sultan of Shurima, with a ruby laser sceptre and vulture companion.
Deathless Atamun II: Skeletal lich with shredded black robes and a staff that fires necromantic beams.
Magistrate Atamun II: Dressed in a toga and wearing a laurel crown. This skin is given away to tribunal judges in the top 5%.

Stats

Health: 385 (+75) = 1735@18

Attack: Damage: 50 (+2.55) = 95.9@18
Attack: Speed: 0.575 (+1.35%) = 0.715@18
Attack: Range: 525

Armor: 12.5 (+4.0) = 84.5
MR: 30

Mana: 250 (+50) = 1150@18
Mana: Regeneration: 5.25 (+0.40) = 12.45@18

Movement speed: 325

Abilities

Concept: Spellcrafting

As an advisor to the Atarsian god-king, Atamun II is an expert spellcrafter, combining magic and science to create new spells from basic components represented by his three non-ultimate abilities.

To create a spell, cast three spell component abilities and follow up with the Forge Spell ultimate. This replaces Forge Spell with the newly created spell.

• Component #1 represents the type of spell.
  • Component #2 represents its delivery method.
  • Component #3 represents any additional effects the spell may have.
Afterwards, Atamun II can forge a new spell again by casting three spell components. After the third cast, the previously forged spell is erased and Forge Spell becomes available again.

Stats
  • The forged spell has a mana cost of 40 and a cooldown of 15 seconds.
  • The spell components have a mana cost of 25 and no cooldown, but forging a spell places them on a 10 second shared cooldown.
  • When a spell is forged, Atamun II's sekhem glows with the colour of Component #1 (Heat: red; Plasma: yellow; Time: greenish blue).
  • When a spell is forged within 0.5 seconds after casting Component #1, it is on cooldown until 0.5 seconds have passed since your first component. This is to prevent script cheese.

Passive: Sekhem of Power

Atamun II has up to 15 stacks of Arcane Power. Each stack reduces the shared cooldown on his spell components by 0.5 seconds, reducing it to a minimum of 2.5 seconds at maximum stacks. Stacks replenish at a rate of 1 every 5 seconds, and each auto attack against an enemy champion adds 1 additional stack. Forging a spell subtracts 3 stacks.

* This enables you to rapidly cast multiple spells at the start of a battle before having to slow down.
* This does not affect the cooldown of the forged spell itself, but forging the same spell again is always faster than waiting for the forged spell to come off cooldown, albeit more mana intensive.

[Q] Heat

First component: Heat
The forged spell is ruby red and deals 75/125/175/225/275 (+0.8 AP) magic damage to enemies.

Second component: Bolt
The forged spell is a skillshot that impacts the first enemy champion or minion in its path within 950 range and explodes, hitting additional targets within a range of 225. If the forged spell affects allies, it also affects Atamun II if he is within range of the explosion. Cannot be cast on self. When cast, Atamun II uses his sekhem to fire a large glowing bolt.

Third component: Might
The forged spell is exceptionally powerful, gaining a 25% power boost.

[W] Plasma

First component: Plasma
The forged spell protects allied champions with an orange shield that absorbs 60/90/120/150/180 (+0.6 AP) damage for 2.5 seconds. If the spell hits multiple times, it will recharge the shield to full each time it hits. The shield resembles a grid of hexagonal sectors surrounding the target and glowing red when struck by damage.

Second component: Pulse
The forged spell manifests as a 350 units wide but slow moving pulse with a range of 525. All targets hit by the pulse are affected by the spell. When cast, Atamun II slams his sekhem into the ground, generating a wave of energy.

Third component: Drain
The forged spell has a 40% increased range and regenerates mana equal to 25% of the damage or shield when it hits an enemy or allied champion, but is 25% less powerful.

[E] Time

First component: Time
The forged spell is greenish blue and deals 50/80/110/140/170 (+0.5 AP) magic damage to enemies, stunning them for 0.60/0.75/0.90/1.05/1.20 seconds.

Second element: Warp
The forged spell enables Atamun II to teleport to a point at a distance of maximum 375 units, after which a shockwave radiates outwards in all directions, instantly affecting targets within a distance of 250. When cast, Atamun II leaps into the air and disappears in a flash of energy, then reappears at the target point.

Third element: Disruption
If your spell affects enemies, it also slows them by 40%. If your spell affects allies, it speeds them up by 20%. Lasts 2.5 seconds.

[R] Forge Spell
Available at level 1, can be upgraded at level 6, 11 and 16.
Active - See Concept: Spellcrafting.
Passive - After forging a spell, you gain +0/5/10/15% increased ability power for 2.5 seconds. Does not stack with itself, but does apply to the forged spell if cast before the buff wears off.

Role

Tags: mage, pusher, support
Role: mid laner

In lane
Atamun II has relatively little range. His Bolt skillshot component is his only long ranged attack, while Pulse and Warp both barely outrange Ryze. Drain solves the range problem, but reduces damage dealt.

He has two aces in lane. Firstly, he can wait for full passive stacks and try to hit the opponent with a Time-Bolt based spell, stunning them. He can then rapidly forge and discharge more Time based spells, stunlocking the opponent. The opponent does have a window of opportunity to escape between each stun after the second stun. Secondly, although his mana is depleted rapidly, he can sustain himself by not forging new spells and sticking with periodic Drain based harrass, which eventually pays for itself.

When ganked, he can forge a Warp based spell and gtfo, though he is not likely to have one ready due to the short range and danger factor of Warp in lane. If disabled before he can forge the spell, he should be a sitting duck.

The powerful shield is mitigated in lane by the need to forge it ahead of time, preventing him from forging an offensive spell instead. For this reason, Atamun II may well max [W] last. He will still invest a point into it at low level to gain access to Pulse and the all-important Drain, which enables him to tap enemy champions for mana from long ranges.

In teamfights
Atamun II should start each teamfight with full passive stacks. He has only one spell button, but can rapidly forge and unload new spells. After his first spell, he can immediately forge another one, then a third spell after 2.5 seconds, a fourth spell after 4 seconds, a fifth spell after 5.5 seconds, etc. Any auto attacks he manages to land will further improve his rate of fire. It does remain the case that the spell machinegun gradually runs out of bullets as the fight goes on.

He is very mobile with Warp and a decent initiator with Time-Warp-Drain, followed by another Warp based spell to get back out of trouble. He can also save lives with Plasma, though he lacks a way to instantly deliver a shield from a distance.

Meeting the criteria

Surviving the end
Atamun II survived an eruption and ensuing volcanic winter.

Scavenger
The passive gains stacks on auto attacks, which reduces the cooldown on his component abilities.
The third Plasma component recharges mana on a hit.

Adaptation
The mother of all multiple skills under one button: His [R] is 28 different abilities (including Forge Spell itself).

Quotes

Select
"You wish to learn from me, summoner?"

Move
"We cannot wait much longer"
"The magocrats must be alive"
"Born to rule"
"Out of my way"
"You are with me or beneath me"
"With grace and power"
"Divines guide me"

Attack
"Knowledge is power"
"Allow me to demonstrate"
"I have spoken"
"Learn your place"
"The answer is always violence"
"Atan curse you"
"Kneel or be knelt"
"Magocrat says no"

Forging a spell
"Behold my spellwork!"
"A mighty weave"
"Just like the old days"
"I have not forgotten"
"My best work yet"t
"Abracadabra"
"Practical metaphysics"
"Bwahahaha"

If at least two components are Heat including the first:
"Pyro-vivic invocation!"
"Igniferous incant!"
"Abyssic terror-hex!"
"Atamun-geddon"

If at least two components are Plasma including the first:
"Shielding dome of Deima!"
"Defensive ley lattice!"
"Refractive mythal!"
"Aegis of myst!"

If at least two components are Time including the first:
"Achronal arcano-matrix!"
"Hyperian clockstopper!"
"Sinister stasis scourge!"
"Timesink of Shesak!"

Taunt
"My knowledge, your burden"
"I survived the end of our world, what hope do you have?"

Joke
"Burden of knowledge? It's not hard, all you have to do is stand there and get blown to bits"
*frog noise* "A Frost Toad? On Runeterra?"

Easter egg
When casting five elements before Forge Spell three separate times during a match, a flying taxicab appears and zooms across the screen.

--

Still Eternity

01-05-2013

So...Ivoker?

I mean the concept is pretty cool, love his backstory. But it's still Ivoker's whole thing, with the forging spells into a new spell. Not that it wouldn't be cool in LoL to have him.

Raptamei

01-09-2013

Yes, it's Invoker. Morello hates Invoker for very sensible reasons, so here's an Invoker that fits in LoL.

Still Eternity

01-09-2013

Is Forge Spell available at level 1? I know that Invoker's ultimate is not from what little knowledge of DotA I have, but it's not really stated if it is or is not. Just would like to know if he's basically useless like Invoker is until he hits 6.

Tripgnosis

01-09-2013

Never played Dota so i have no idea who invoker is but I like the spellcraft concept - however it basically means he is a 1-ability champ and doesn't have that ability until level 6 (unless he's diff than others and starts with his ult)

Also, you havent described how some of the components improve when leveled and how the ult improves when leveled. I am a huge sucker for customization so I do love the idea.

Heres a thought, maybe instead of using the ult to forge a spell, the spell is cast when the last component is selected? The ult could be a passive that allows for additional components and therefore stronger spells.. level 1 ult can allow for the spell to have 2 'type' components, level 2 could allow for a second 'additional effect' component, and level 3 could allow for a third additional effect. No cooldown on the components would allow for quick casting even with 5 components....

lol I'm not tryin to redesign yr champ on you, just some ideas that the concept inspired..

Tripgnosis

01-09-2013

another idea, you could allow for the ult to be used (even at level 0) just to cast the spell instead of casting when the last componet is selected. So (still on my previous idea for the passive effect of the ult) you can cast it with the minimum of 3 components instead of it waiting for the 6th component when the ult is max level...

Raptamei

01-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Eternity View Post
Is Forge Spell available at level 1? I know that Invoker's ultimate is not from what little knowledge of DotA I have, but it's not really stated if it is or is not. Just would like to know if he's basically useless like Invoker is until he hits 6.
Thanks for reminding me that the MCCC judges will probably assume I am an idiot. Added note about level 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripgnosis View Post
Never played Dota so i have no idea who invoker is
Basically he has 3 castable self buffs and if you cast them in the correct order it produces one of 10 premade spells. The spells are somewhat arbitrary though, limited in number, and also Guinsoo made the retarded first version of the invoker while Icefrog fixed him so naturally Guinsoo doesn't like the invoker and therefore Morello doesn't like him, blaming "burden of knowledge" (which is what Atamun's taunt refers to). To be fair the invoker is just a complicated way to have 10 spells and Atamun 1/ has almost 3 times as many spells 2/ makes much more sense.

Quote:
Also, you havent described how some of the components improve when leveled
Only the first component improves with level. If the other two did, the best spell you could create would always be QQQ or WWW or EEE depending on which you had the most points into.

Quote:
Heres a thought, maybe instead of using the ult to forge a spell, the spell is cast when the last component is selected? The ult could be a passive that allows for additional components and therefore stronger spells.. level 1 ult can allow for the spell to have 2 'type' components, level 2 could allow for a second 'additional effect' component, and level 3 could allow for a third additional effect. No cooldown on the components would allow for quick casting even with 5 components....
Spells with no cooldown are OP. Especially once someone makes a keyboard macro and casts 5 spells per second.

Still Eternity

01-11-2013

I think I'll do a bit more of an in-depth review of your champion, considering aside from the fact he's basically Invoker, he's an extremely interesting champion that I myself would like to play.

Lore: Interesting and believable. It relates the the theme of the contest very well and is pretty darn cool If I must admit. One or two spelling mistakes, (I believe you meant "Cerulean" and not "Cirulian") but that's pretty minor.

Base Stats: His base stats all look pretty up to par, but why such a low Attack Range? 425 is Urgot's Auto Attack range, which although ranged, is fairly dismal for a Mage Champion who's going to be going up against some heavy hitters in the Midlane with far superior ranges on both Auto Attacks and spells. He doesn't seem like he'll have an abusively strong early game that would warrant that.

Passive: Interesting Passive that works well with the champion, helping him with his job of rapidly fusing spells together. But here's where the Auto Attack thing comes back to bite him. He gets more stacks from Auto Attacking champions...But his range is so small, compared to other mages, that he wouldn't be likely to ever try and Auto Attack after early game. There's nothing that makes it easy for him to do so and get any benefit out of it, thus, part of his passive is a little useless.

Component Spells: (Q-W-E): I think that all of the component spells make sense. They all excel in a certain thing, (Q Damage, W Defense, E Utility) and give him lots of options. However, I feel like that, considering his Ultimate only constructs the spells for him, the Damage on them is a bit low. You'll only have Q and E for damage all game long; the numbers they are currently sitting at seem more appropriate on a typical Mage with access to a powerful and deadly ultimate ability. Sure, with max stacks of his passive, it lowers the amount of Global time needed to construct a new spell, but eventually it winds down and with no easy way to regain the stacks, (Small range, yet again) he'll slow down in a long fight.

His numbers aren't strong enough to support that, as a burst mage, but he can't cast fast enough to be a sustained damage dealer, because his Passive's stacks will run out. He's sort of caught between the two. I might of course be understanding it wrong, but then maybe it's just a tad too confusing? I believe I'm getting this right.

Ultimate-Forge Spell: The only reason this is in a different category is because of the passive on it. The Armor/Mr just feels tacked on. It's not really enough to make a big difference, just sort of...there. He isn't going to be built tanky, he's an Ap Caster. The best use of this would I guess be if he was a Support and needed some free stats, but he's clearly not a meant-to-be support.

Other than that, I love the spell. This tool gives you access to so many different abilities, that are, in general, fairly easy to know which effects do what. Q gives you more Damage! W gives you more Defense! E Gives you Utility! If, for example, when he is choosing components and there's a Spell Meter on him that shines the colors in order of which components he chooses, (Say he picks Q as his first component; the Meter's first slot turns red. Or maybe a red orb rotates around him.) So as to let the opponent have some counter-play. Did Atamun's spell start with Blue? It did? A stun is coming! Did the Blue come second? That means he wants to warp! Yada yada, ect.

Spell Crafting: Over-All I love the idea, and think there is a place for it in League of Legends without the "Burden of Knowledge" that Morello and Zilean despise with a passion. The components have clearly defined roles and as long as the enemy can tell what you're doing, will have counterplay. I highly approve.

Quotes: I had a hearty chuckle when I read them the first time. I think he has a well defined personality that you can infer from his quotes. High Class, Confident in his abilities, and when he uses Two of the same component, I can't help but laugh as I read the quotes he says. Why? Because, for some reason, I can just imagine the lines being delivered in the hammiest way possible. All over-the-top and with a lot of passion. Sort of how Darius delivers all these "HUAAAH, HAAA, HEERRRGS" with every swipe of his Ax, and how Vi does the same, except with spells and words instead of grunts. Overall, I like this guy. He says and does interesting things. He's somebody I would care about, Lore Wise, which for me is a definite plus.

Summery: I really like Atamun II. I keep coming back to this page and reading everything over again. I think he's a well defined champion with a lot of flexibility, but I feel like his skills need a bit of adjusting. Of course, you may have intentionally made his skills weak to account for his flexibility, but poor Viktor has the same problem. Too many options at the cost of any focus. Focus is a very important thing in League of Legends. Why choose him for a role that X Champion will do better? Sure they're flexible, but in this case, I only need them to Deal Damage/Bring high CC/ Be very mobile/ect. Just make sure that there's something that Atamun brings to the table that will keep him relevant. Is being the greatest Jack of All Trades in the game enough to keep him afloat? That I cannot say for certain unless we had an actual Champion to test in a game.

Once again, really like this concept, I find it both highly amusing and quite interesting.

Best Regards.

Raptamei

01-13-2013

Wish I replied to this sooner... I'm sick right now, been sleeping for about 36 hours nonstop.

Quote:
Lore: Interesting and believable. It relates the the theme of the contest very well and is pretty darn cool If I must admit. One or two spelling mistakes, (I believe you meant "Cerulean" and not "Cirulian") but that's pretty minor.
It was supposed to be cirulian, the point being that it would be the (nonexistent) crystal from which the colour name derived. I can see how no one else would understand though (I am Yuropian and most non-trivial English words are arcane knowledge here).

Quote:
Base Stats: His base stats all look pretty up to par, but why such a low Attack Range? 425 is Urgot's Auto Attack range, which although ranged, is fairly dismal for a Mage Champion who's going to be going up against some heavy hitters in the Midlane with far superior ranges on both Auto Attacks and spells. He doesn't seem like he'll have an abusively strong early game that would warrant that.
He has an instant blink and a shield, so he is fairly survivable in lane as is. You don't want a blink on a long ranged champion or else there is no reason for the champion to even get into attack range.

But I probably overdid it. I thought Orianna had 425 range but she has 525.

Quote:
Component Spells: (Q-W-E): I think that all of the component spells make sense. They all excel in a certain thing, (Q Damage, W Defense, E Utility) and give him lots of options. However, I feel like that, considering his Ultimate only constructs the spells for him, the Damage on them is a bit low. You'll only have Q and E for damage all game long; the numbers they are currently sitting at seem more appropriate on a typical Mage with access to a powerful and deadly ultimate ability.
Thanks! I was thinking he would have a huge burst which would make up for the lack of an ult, but I realise he no longer has that Veigar style instakill potential since his passive was scaled back (it used to reduce cooldowns by 2 seconds per stack = 0 cooldown at max stacks). I'll probably bring back that aspect because I like the power curve this creates.

Quote:
Ultimate-Forge Spell: The only reason this is in a different category is because of the passive on it. The Armor/Mr just feels tacked on. It's not really enough to make a big difference, just sort of...there. He isn't going to be built tanky, he's an Ap Caster. The best use of this would I guess be if he was a Support and needed some free stats, but he's clearly not a meant-to-be support.
I was thinking about the current defensive predicament of AP mids in the face of AD casters, so I went with the Leona solution of giving him at least a little bit of free armor in particular. It also goes with his limited range - two out of three deployment shapes are short ranged. Also, Molten Armor etc.

Can see how fixing his AA would solve this though and he does have a blink and shield.

Quote:
If, for example, when he is choosing components and there's a Spell Meter on him that shines the colors in order of which components he chooses, (Say he picks Q as his first component; the Meter's first slot turns red. Or maybe a red orb rotates around him.) So as to let the opponent have some counter-play. Did Atamun's spell start with Blue? It did? A stun is coming! Did the Blue come second? That means he wants to warp! Yada yada, ect.
Thanks. I abandoned the "rotating orbs" idea because unlike in Dota the order of the orbs matters. Perhaps I could communicate this by having coloured brackets for the first element and then the other two as coloured dots... but it would still suffer from burden of knowledge because the second and third element are not straightforward. And we can't allow ANY accusations of burden of knowledge, even though Lee Sin exists etc.

I'll just communicate the first element - the only thing that really helps a noob. Red means fire means damage. Blue means "frost" means it impedes you in some way. And yellow means... well you'll know when you see a big yellow shield for the first time. (Didn't go with green because Udyr already has a green shield)

Quote:
Spell Crafting: Over-All I love the idea, and think there is a place for it in League of Legends without the "Burden of Knowledge" that Morello and Zilean despise with a passion.
A mostly nonexistent burden of knowledge even. As Atamun II himself mentions: there is no burden of knowledge on the receiving end, just dodge (or get hit by) spells. The actual invoker has only 10 spells, how hard can it be?!

Still Eternity

01-13-2013

I can see you've taken my advice. I like the new passive on the Ult and 525 Range should be perfectly fine in lane, which were my two biggest concerns. He seems like a very good Champion concept as of right now, at least to me.

Oh, and, Feel better man. Being sick sucks! Good Luck in the contest Your concept is one of my handful of favorites (other than my own of course xD)