Janna support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Beeeaaast

01-05-2013

I usually play kat but I kindof want to play a different champ in games where there are too many assassin like players on my team. I tried out janna and I dont know if I did a good job as support.. We won the game and I want 1-1-9 (i know kda doesn't really matter but hey") I normally shield our carry (bot lane) and really only tornado when we need the cc and W when we're trying to burst down someone (or for the slow)
People say Janna is hard to play as a low level (im level 11) should i stick with Janna or should I try out a different support champion like Sona?

Qsario

01-05-2013

Well, it sounds like you're playing her right. She's a great champ and she's my main, so she's perfectly viable. She does take some skill to use, especially the ultimate, so proper positioning is important. Sometimes you have to anticipate that you're going to use a skill in the future and make sure you're in a good position to use it from. For example, in lane, you want to be in a good place to protect your carry with your tornado.

You are correct not to poke at them with it, because you go OOM rather quickly if you spam it and you usually need it to save your ADC's life if they get caught up in anything, especially vs. Blitz or Leona.

You can tell that you had a good record because you mostly let your allies have the kills (1 kill, 9 assists) and didn't die much. But the 9 assists is a bit low, depending on how many kills there were. You probably want to try to do more to help your allies during fights, even dropping shields on them just for a little extra damage. Even if you push a tower, you want to shield someone for that +AD buff. I think my best score with her was 0/0/34. I often get 20-30 assists in a game, try to keep the deaths down and mostly get kills either by accident or when no one else can. There's nothing wrong with flash+W to get a kill on someone that was just going to get away.

The passive gold gain actually makes her a bit easier to play at low levels now, because you don't need as many GP10 quints. You probably want to use your one quint slot on a GP10, though, whenever you can afford it. This will help you with all supports, so it's a good investment.

In game, the most gold-efficient start I know of is to start out with a crystalline flask + wards. Try to make those last until you have 700 GP, then go back for a sightstone. I think you need a few levels before you can get to the pickpocket mastery, so that may be a slight problem given how long it takes to get to 700 GP unless you can get an early kill or assist.

Janna is a high-skill champion, so the more time you spend mastering her, the better she is. I've played hundreds of games with her and I still have a lot I can improve upon.

Beeeaaast

01-05-2013

So.. should I keep playing her and get better?
Also, should I bother to buy runes? I have limited slots and I'm not sure if they make a difference early on

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

Wait for level 20, because that's when you get access to t3 runes.

Qsario

01-06-2013

Yeah, you want T3 runes and I forgot that you're too low for GP10 quints yet, but the passive gold increase should make it bearable. Also, at that level, you should get a lot of practice saving allies from themselves, so you'll probably want to practice taking tornado at level 1 and positioning to hit both enemies when they try to attack your ADC so they can get away, except in the lanes that want to just poke you to death, where shield is mandatory (e.g. Maokai or Zilean support; gotta shield vs. those damn trees/bombs).

You can actually combine 25 t1 runes (preferably those that cost 15 IP) into a T3 rune and even use it, but you're 99% likely to end up with crappy runes, though I have gotten a few quints that way. The combiner can also give you more of a rune than you can use (e.g. your 10th armor yellow).

Runes ARE worth it, but as others have said, get T3 runes. Though you can also get, say, T1 armor reds & yellows, MR blues, then combine them all later, in the hopes of getting a decent rune.

Also note that you can use the client to search for different summoners and look at their rune/mastery pages. So you can see what I usually run on Janna (the pages are cleverly named "Janna"). This is perhaps more useful when you look at the featured games, see some diamond ELO player using Janna, then search for them. The currently active page will be the first one up (and people give them the strangest names) but this will allow you to see how others play Janna and you can experiment until you figure out what works best for you.

Not being level 30 is pretty annoying, though. Do your best to get a lot of XP and save up IP so you can buy all the important runes for whatever role(s) you prefer to play. As support, you probably want flat or scaling MR blues, GP10 (and possibly movespeed) quints, GP10 & armor yellows, armor reds (possibly also mpen). You generally run some combination of defensive stats and GP10 on a support Janna.

Beeeaaast

01-06-2013

Ok guys thanks for all the feedback it's really helpful!