Elo discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NamKim

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawNuff View Post
got Fdru in a game once when he decided to go AD Xerath. Its not quite as viable as AD Karthus because you can't do damage after you die.
Did I say AD Xerath? I meant AD Veiger. That is what I meant.

blackDAILO

01-07-2013

No more Kass spam

And when the enemy team really has Kass, its teammates will decide to balance it out by running something like glass AP Varus.

Malah

01-07-2013

I roughly define Elo by four categories: Derp Elo, Low Elo, Mid Elo, High Elo.

Derp Elo is where the first matches happen and where the SR players lay. The fastest way to get out of this is to either run with a partner and play a combo effectively (gank bot lane or crush top) or just play something with lots of killing power and annihilate teams. Rule of thumb, assassins and melee carries. Everything goes: people will feed with Kassadin and run 20/0 with Tryndamere.

Once you start seeing Revive and Ignite/Exhaust/Garrison while the flashes go away, that's Low Elo. People still chase into bushes with MIA enemies, people still think back-dooring means rushing their mid when their team is MIA or just spawning, and people will sometimes just be awful or itemize badly, but this is where you get more tactics than derp. Team fights happen more often than skirmishes that people pile on, and teams start working together. The fastest way to get out of here is to offer to run supporty things such as tanks or mages and win decisive fights, or run bot lane and either crush the lane or play

Mid Elo is when the only time someone isn't running Revive or runs Flash is when they're either just ignorant or being a hipster (Okay, there's on occasion an escapeless squishy trying to make do without a peeler, but usually not). People know better than to do any of the above, people start forming proper team compositions, and they (mostly) know how bot lane works for both the person in it and everyone else. People will still try to save bot lane when there's only one person defending their top and they have no way to prevent a backcap mid, but it's the thought that counts and that's why they're mid-Elo. The main sign of Mid Elo is when people start realizing that raw power isn't going to cut it and either fall back on playing overpowered picks infinitely or start whipping their teams into shape and actually make a cohesive effort.

High Elo is basically the same people playing against each other and the Dominion version of Serious Business because we don't have Ranked.

The key to happiness is to hit Mid Elo to escape the majority of the stupidity and then coast. When you start seeing people who talk a lot on the forums, run screaming.

HaIfhearted

01-08-2013

Another indicator of getting into high elo is when you start getting random friend invites from people who you have never heard of before simply because your game was in the featured spectate bar.

Once you've gotten enough random friend invites that its just annoying, you're probably fairly up there.

FireZ42

01-08-2013

When you can no longer play casual and win. Where if you don't pick the same 10 dominion easymode champs you'll have a lower chance of winning.

Oh, and people super tryharding in blind pick. I mean, what the hell is draft mode for then. Also if they lose too much they get desperate and will pick Kass/Nid/Jayce

TechPrince

01-08-2013

lolmatches.com used to record and calculate elo, but they have stopped long time ago.

FDru

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
Did I say AD Xerath? I meant AD Veiger. That is what I meant.
I did AD Veigar once. My team raged at me the whole game and kept complaining I was trolling in /all but I got 10 kills and died less than everyone on the team.

Boy do I miss Dominion draft.

KaWraith

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireZ42 View Post
When you can no longer play casual and win. Where if you don't pick the same 10 dominion easymode champs you'll have a lower chance of winning.

Oh, and people super tryharding in blind pick. I mean, what the hell is draft mode for then. Also if they lose too much they get desperate and will pick Kass/Nid/Jayce

As for super tryharding in blind pick: High Elo players cant play draft. The queue is several hours long, its beyond ridiculous.

KaWraith

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
To be honest, I am in no rush to get to high elo. I figure if I ever wanted to play against those whom I call the "big boys" then I can always just ask to be invited to an inhouse game. Most of them seem cool enough where they wouldn't mind playing with someone who isn't at or near their level yet...although, I feel like they would troll that game...I feel like I would see Sauron go AD Xerath...which I have the strangest feeling he would somehow make it viable...

I have my reasons why I don't want to rush to high elo. But I don't want to /shen your thread more than I already have.
Honestly, I think it's better not to get psyched out by "omg that player is so pro"
for example: When I first started playing games with/against Sauron, he was "just that guy who plays ezreal a bunch." I had no idea about DD tournaments, lolmatches and visible elo at the time. I didn't worry about it, and just tried to have fun.
The key to high Elo is to play your best, and always try to learn to play better. The top players got to the top by innovating winning strategies, and the rest of us got to high elo by copying them and thus creating the meta.

Redeemed In Fire

01-08-2013

I did a 5 man premade once. Pretty sure I was matched straight into high elo. so much cheese you could have opened a store o.O