My ISP or Riots issue?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

slavedriver666

06-12-2014

I just moved into a new apartment. Previously i had a fantastic 100mbit connection, now i have 2mbit with a minimum of 256k.
Im in Europe but i play on the NA servers to play with friends.(im American)
My ping at my old place was always about 180, now its 206-220. I was fine with the 180 ping.
My problem now is the game is unplayable due to lag and attempting to reconnect issues. Im having very very noticeable movement and attack delays and periods where nothing happens yet im losing life so obviously something is happening. Basically, lag.
Im trying to figure out if this is my new ISP or if while i was moving, Riot servers started having problems.
I've run a quit a few speed tests and they average out to about 1.9mbits and .4 upload
I've also run a few ping tests from pingtest.net. A couple i ran had a grade of A but at least 3 gave a grade c or below.
I called my ISP and the supports response was simply upgrade your package. I was probably gonna do that anyways but i dont want to throw money at them if i will still have this lag problem.
Out of curiosity i turned on hotspot shield. My ping went up to around 230-280 but it seemed to improve the lag.
Also now that its after 5pm the lag seems to have improved and the games playable.

Could this be packet loss or is my internet package just to slow at 2mbits? or is something going on on riots end?
Appreciate the help!

slavedriver666

06-12-2014

Just ran a Netalyzr test and these are the highlights. Other categories were mostly green

Summary of Noteworthy Events +
Minor Aberrations
The packet loss was somewhat high
The time to set up a TCP connection was somewhat high
The network indicated bursts of packet loss
Network packet buffering may be excessive

Network Access Link Properties +
Network performance (?): Latency: 120 ms, Loss: 4.0% +
TCP connection setup latency (?): 880ms +
Background measurement of network health (?): 25 transient outages, longest: 2.6 seconds +
Network bandwidth (?): Upload 480 Kbit/s, Download 1.9 Mbit/s +
Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink 1200 ms, Downlink 470 ms

Elduris

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Wrenchman

06-12-2014

Hey there!

It certainly sounds like the issue could lie with your ISP. You are correct to be worried about packet loss, and you can use this tool to test your connection for that and other network health issues. I'm confident that the results you get from this test will help you in determining where to go from here. Please don't share your results here, though, because the test does reveal intimate information about your network, including your IP address.

I'd be happy to explain anything to you that doesn't make sense!

EDIT: Well it looks like you ninja'd me :P

You do appear to have some packet loss. You also have low bandwidth and high network buffering, which can sometimes be resolved by switching to a better rate plan. As always, talk to your ISP about this before making any decisions, even at a low-end rate plan you should not experience any packet loss. Speaking with an expert about this is the first place you should go.

slavedriver666

06-12-2014

Thanks Elduris for the help! I must of posted the highlights of my NetAlyzr just as you replied.
My knowledge of this is limited but from the looks of it, somethings wrong with my ISP correct?
And upgrading my package would be silly if my ISP doesnt deal with it

You answered this
Appreciate the help!!!

TheBookWasBetter

06-12-2014

I think the biggest concern is those transient outages. During a transient outage all traffic halts for a moment and packets from all nodes in transit to your destination are lost. This will not necessarily completely disconnect you from the game since it's treated as packet loss, but you'll notice weird behavior like champs/minions skipping around the map or even moving backwards.

You will most likely need to bring this to your ISPs attention. However, there is a chance that this is originating at your router, so you may want to try reproducing these netalyzer results while bypassing your router and connecting directly to your modem if possible.

slavedriver666

06-12-2014

I attempted what i probably should have done in the first place, resetting my router....
Netalyzr is now saying the only problem detected is in:
Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink 1200 ms, Downlink 470 ms

Before i did that i called my ISP and got basically the same answer, upgrade package and they dont detect anything wrong on there end.

I really appreciate the help!
If restarting the router really fixed the problem, im gonna feel stupid