King of the Hill - [3v3v3/4v4v4]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nysta

01-05-2013

Surely we do all know King of the Hill (KotH) and there has yet to be an idea on how to enter it into LoL, seeing that it doesn't really fit there as of now.

I had an interesting idea, though, which would make this a game mode, that I am certain, I would enjoy to play:

KotH , with 3-4 players on each team:
-3 Teams: Red, Blue, Green
-6 Small minion spawns
-3 Sorts of dragons with different buffs, possibly neutral minion waves rushing the hill from the opposite side of the map once a dragon died!
-3 points on the map where minions clash, two for each team
-a hill with strong neutral minions defending it
-some defensive buildings on the hill, that will change to the side of the hill capturing fraction and become repaired
-the goal of capturing and holding the hill for a total of 7 minutes
-the possibility to lose to minions after they hold the hill for more than 20 minutes
-some dynamic events like rock giants or treants coming in from the sides from time to time
-the possibility to lose the hill to the neutral fraction due to those events

Attachment 587161

Explanations to the map:
-big colored bubbles: player starting positions
-brown walls: walls that open after 1 minute, when the game begins, inability for enemies to walk past these walls, even if they are open
-light blue dots: path minions follow
-light red x-es place where minions fight
-violet ring in the middle: the hill
-yellow bubbles: spawn point for various neutral minions, indicator for defensive buildings in the middle (3 turrets)
-dark green and black: walls and trees, spawn points for some dynamic events
-only solo/duo queue matchmaking or custom games

Explanation concerning the turrets and holding the hill:

The turrets itself would be weaker than normal turrets, but not by much. They would, for example have a limited field of shooting, so that melee champions could just walk in between of them and a secondary attack that would be able to hurt enemies all the way around it (like burning oil or so) which will prevent melee attackers have a large advantage over their ranged comrades. Both attacks would deal less damage (the close ranged one, even less than the other attack) than the normal attack of a normal turret.
Concerning conquering the middle, I'd make it so that the hill goes to the team that controls all 3 turrets and stays with that team until two of those turrets have fallen. Turrets will take damage from being hit and be repaired from being hit by teammates (not as much as being damaged though) and generally have less hp than normal turrets. Once they have been destroyed the next team to fully recharge it with their health bar (color of the team) will hold that turret.

Explanations towards the walls:

You can not flash over the walls towards your base and you can only reenter your base through the wall on the back of it(=the inner walls will be cliffs instead of walls, letting you pass to the outside but not to the inside). In the beginning the walls will not let you through no matter which way, so that you can prepare for battle (see Dominion). You can not enter an enemy base, and as long as you're near their back wall, they can't enter it through it either.

Answers to various questions:

Quote:
I really like it, but I feel like it'd be too similar to dominion (and we all know how popular that is) and thus would take too much time for how much people would use it.
I think this would be a lot more popular than dominion! Even that one lane map is more popular, and you can only play it in custom maps! Also we could just replace dominion with this, I wouldn't miss it!
Quote:
And personally, I'd scrap the neutral mob spawns, and just have that inner circle.
Those mob spawns will interact with the game. They will run up the hill from time to time, if they see it in danger.
Quote:
How do you deal with the alliances that no doubt would be made during the game?
How do IP/XP rewards work? Is there a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place? Or are there just winners and losers?
The thing is that there is minions in the middle of the map: If you focus killing your enemies rather than controlling the hill, you will lose. All of you will lose. There is 4 places to take with different rewards. First one is the one that had 0 seconds left on his timer, and so on. Seeing that minions start with 20 minutes opposed to only 7 minutes that you start with, they will probably be last.. but I think they will actually be in the upper ranks.
There is no points for killing anything, sure the stats will display afterwards, unless you are the King of the Hill. And guess what?
Only one team can be the King of the hill! If you form alliances, you should be well aware that you will have to break them. They are part of the game, and I'm sure they will add a lot of fun, too.
Quote:
Do you get any bonuses for holding the "hill?"
You get 3 turrets on top of the hill!
Quote:
...if one team got fed, there is almost nothing stopping them
That is why there is three teams. You said yourself that there is no way one team would win against two teams that team up together. Surely, they won't just watch that team get points! Whoever wins this is not necessarily the team with the best solo players. It is a lot about team play and even cooperation with your enemies.
Quote:
What happens if you lose a lane? Since there are no nexuses, you have to have some initiative for going after other people's lanes, or protecting your own. This could be inhibitors, maybe the temporary loss of some of your minions, gold per ten, who knows!
Nothing happens, the minions of the guys winning the lane run up the hill and help that team to capture the hill! This will lead to 4 man lane pushes after just a short amount of farming!
Quote:
Will the jungle be focused on ganks, getting buffs, getting xp and gold, team fights, what? Make sure it has a definite purpose, and then make that super clear!
Additional buffs later on and additional gold early on. Getting these is just as important as in a normal game, if not more so, seeing they will help you conquer the hill if you do it right!
Quote:
What makes this map special! Add many elements that have not been seen in any LoL map before. Dominion added this with health shrines, speed shrines, etc. and the new Twisted Treeline added alters. What else will you add to make this the most unique map possible?
It is probably the fact, that when the teams are all about the other teams and not so much about capturing the hill the minions will win. There is, as mentioned above 4 ranks of winners or losers. The minions are one of them. Sure rewards are split between the 3 teams, but there will be less rewards overall if the minions were better than your team, and that might very well happen.
Those minions will attempt to hold their hill on their own, and be sure, they are good at it! They even do treant and golem rushes from time to time, there might be some other events like centaurs or so rushing the hill from one point of the map. Different stuff, not just some lame quests 'capture that point before the enemy captures that point'!
Quote:
Are there any special items for this map?
I guess there will have to be some special items. Most of the Summoners Rift items should be fine though. I would probably also include items that buff minions around oneself for greater effect of the lanes (Yes, there are still lanes and I did not forget about them!)
Quote:
What makes this fun? Why would people want to play this map? Make sure that you can answer that easily.
This mode is unique and full of action. Full of alliances and betrayal! I guess the minions will be the most epic part. They won't just sit around waiting for you to kill them, they will make their moves when they see that their hill is in danger and call in some reinforcements. The big buffs won't move in any case, though. The small ones might very well move in to help the guys on the hill. Another reason to have a jungler!
Quote:
How long is an average game? Would you be spending hours trying to win, 45 minutes, 20 minutes, what? You don't want the game to drag, but if it's short, make sure it's the best time they can have!
Average game is about 27 minutes I'd say. A match takes at least 9 minutes (one team rushes the middle and is able to hold it, very very unlikely) and at maximum 41 minutes, seeing some team has to win at that time (7+7+7+20=41)
Quote:
Don't make it too complicated. Really hypocritical of me, I know. But make sure it's simple enough that the average Joe can understand it! DON'T DISCRIMINATE AGAINST JOE!
Capture the Hill! You see the hill? That is the most important thing!

I'd love to get some feedback on this! I know that my idea doesn't quite fit the all competitive line that LoL has recently directed itself into, but I kind of felt that it was a good idea!

Added a version in the General Discussion Forums!

~ Nysta

Yahia

01-05-2013

Awesome idea it will be so fun to see 3 teams i vote up for sure !!

Fairhaven

01-05-2013

Bump, post this in general discussion more views!!

Nysta

01-05-2013

Currently playing the game! Will do afterwards!

Pirateelfdog

01-05-2013

This is similar to my map... if you want to check it out, here's the link: I'm definitely not self-advertising my map concept... or it's Fan Art page: Yep. No advertising in this link!

Anyways, as you may have guessed by the fact I made a map similar to this one, I love this idea.

Some things to think about...

How do you deal with the alliances that no doubt would be made during the game?

How do IP/XP rewards work? Is there a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place? Or are there just winners and losers?

Do you get any bonuses for holding the "hill?" Think about it...normally, you are up against two people, but they are separated. You only have two waves to manage, and each one only has one person coming, and a jungle, of course. However, once the hill opens up, you will have two teams coming at you, which, although I understand the roots of the game, is going to be near impossible to manage. It will be extremely difficult to manage two teams from tow separate locations, as well as coming up to fight you in the middle. It would eventually become a game of brutality, and if one team got fed, there is almost nothing stopping them. You have to give the person in control of the hill some kind of bonus to make them able to handle all of these challenges.

What happens if you lose a lane? Since there are no nexuses, you have to have some initiative for going after other people's lanes, or protecting your own. This could be inhibitors, maybe the temporary loss of some of your minions, gold per ten, who knows!

Will the jungle be focused on ganks, getting buffs, getting xp and gold, team fights, what? Make sure it has a definite purpose, and then make that super clear!

What makes this map special! Add many elements that have not been seen in any LoL map before. Dominion added this with health shrines, speed shrines, etc. and the new Twisted Treeline added alters. What else will you add to make this the most unique map possible?

Are there any special items for this map? You don't have to make a whole new set of 'em, but maybe come up with a special kind of consumable, elixir, or something! Maybe you can drink something that increases your movement speed by a lot for a duration, or there are consumable traps that you lay for enemy teams. Be creative!

What makes this fun? Why would people want to play this map? Make sure that you can answer that easily.

How long is an average game? Would you be spending hours trying to win, 45 minutes, 20 minutes, what? You don't want the game to drag, but if it's short, make sure it's the best time they can have!

Don't make it too complicated. Really hypocritical of me, I know. But make sure it's simple enough that the average Joe can understand it! DON'T DISCRIMINATE AGAINST JOE!

That's all I got for you right now... hope you keep at the map design thing! if you could check out my map, that'd be nice, but no worries! Keep improving, and coming up with awesome stuff like this!

Nysta

01-06-2013

Answered your questions! Can't have a look at your map right now, but I'll do so later on!

Cyborg Scorpion

01-06-2013

Looks cool, but i think that the hill should reset and move every 5 minutes to keep the games interesting, and each time, the fountains would be locked for 10 seconds to let the players recuperate. it would also be cool to, like dominion, have a point system where you hold the hill for 20 minutes if you dont count the points for captures, kills, and whatever you think would work well. perhaps you could add a shrine in each corner as well, to avoid making the objective entirely focused entirely on capturing and holding the hill the whole time like in the TT you get buffs from shrines. i have a feeling it would make it more interesting, although 3 turrets seems a bit overkill maybe 1 tuurret wit a lot of range. it would feel somewhat similar to too many popular games with a KoTH gametype like halo and CoD. if you could make the map about 1.5 times the size of the crystal scar, then you could turn half of the map into jungle making it a very interesting possibility for ganks, backdoors and give every hill at least 2 entrances/exits. that avoids giving champs like teemo, shaco and heimy the potential to cause an unpassable path. sure teemo could shroom both sides but its still harder to manage to cover 2 entrances than 1 entrance.

Nysta

01-06-2013

Don't worry, I don't think any faction could possibly be able to hold the hill for that long, besides of the minions. Well you do count the kills and so on, actually. The thing that matters though, is the time you have been in control of the hill, as a team.
TT and CS are pretty boring as it is. I really am a huge fan of new maps, but they should be cool, not boring as hell. 3 turrets are needed. There is twice as many attackers as defenders, if not more! Also you can trigger events that will help you capture the hill (or defend it, if the other teams try to attack the hill from said side! Huge plays possible!
There is only one hill. One hill, one target. I do not intend this to become a second Crystal Scar. The map is rather small, and seeing that it is, you can actually go all around the map to 'gank' or to kill some monster which will in turn cause some events which might help your team more than the enemy team!
There is no possibility for said champions to give an impassable path, seeing that there will be lots of movement on the entire map. Sure they will be strong when it comes to defending the hill, but so will other champions! There is three entrances by the way.

FriendlyGarchomp

01-17-2013

This is really a great idea and I would definately want to play on it a lot if it were made.

Nysta

01-18-2013